Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice of the Libs to give Jon a free run.

Who's running for Greens in Streatham then?
Scott Ainslie. He ought to be able to do Streatham High Road canvassing both sides simultaneously with no megaphone. Of course he's very fluent and intelligent as well as LOUD.

I was at the selection meeting and was very impressed by one of the Vauxhall Green candidates who wasn't selected. She was coming out with all the stuff from my generation about police issues, school exclusions, zero social housing being built etc.

The person who was selected probably thinks all that is irrelevant because we are in the environmental end-times. She will probably set up a boat in the Vauxhall bus station!

Scott Ainslie. He ought to be able to do Streatham High Road canvassing both sides simultaneously with no megaphone. Of course he's very fluent and intelligent as well as LOUD.

I was at the selection meeting and was very impressed by one of the Vauxhall Green candidates who wasn't selected. She was coming out with all the stuff from my generation about police issues, school exclusions, zero social housing being built etc.

The person who was selected probably thinks all that is irrelevant because we are in the environmental end-times. She will probably set up a boat in the Vauxhall bus station!

Oh - did they select this week? Tuesday?

Oh - did they select this week? Tuesday?
Well yes - which meant I had to miss the high jinks at Lewes
10634626.jpg

Some people just really want to be MP I guess.

Labour really should have got him to run again in Westminster
Roger Godsiff would be a hard act to follow - at least according to Momentum and Wikipedia.
1. 2nd highest parliamentary expenses claim in 2009 - £189,322 for re-wiring, guttering and clock repair at one of his houses.
2. His 2010 election campaign literature featured pictures of a convicted female sex offender - claiming that it was Liberal Democrat policy to extend the votes to such people in prison.
3. Voted Leave in the referendum, but did not Vote to invoke Article 50, acknowledging his constituency voted Remain.
4. To cap it all he was a bank clerk before entering politics!

Then there is his approach to gay marriage and sex education in schools - where possibly provide some healing balm, seeing as he seems to be a liberal Moslem.

Interesting documentary - free local showings:
e358430d-053f-4b09-a68c-9bcaf499dc8d.jpg

be3ee4d7-8884-4f80-8393-8af6c9f2a0f0.jpg
In a time of political and economic unrest, what gives you hope? What makes Brixton one of London’s most socially active communities?
We The People is a short film by Virginia Nimarkoh and Fan Sissoko, made in partnership with The Advocacy Academy, the UK’s first campus for young activists, based in Brixton.
Filmed over summer 2019, 'We The People' explores themes of activism and community, past and present. We follow six inspiring conversations between activists and grassroots organisers, young and less young, making positive change at a local level. For many people, these are dire times. Meet some who dare to resist.

It's very good short documentary of inter-generational local activists & campaigns.
Does anybody know much about history of Advocacy Academy The Advocacy Academy
Founder : Amelia Viney
Patron : Helen Hayes MP​

If I was Dogus I would steer well clear of this.

Godsiff is not going away quietly. He is going to stand as independent Labour against an official Labour candidate.

Godsiff says he is representing his constituents but a "vociferous" "militant" gay section of the Labour party are against him.

This of course goes back to the most evil man in UK Corbyn. If only the party wasn't led by a person like Corbyn he would still be the official candidate.

The party he has worked for all his life is now run by vociferous militants.

His statement makes interesting reading. Trouble with a lot of issues around "Diversity" and "protected characteristics" is that they can be used in different ways. His statement has a logic to it. Shows how the the fudge of "Diversity" breaks down.

Supporting Gay rights is going to upset some people. There is no way to avoid that.

Godsiff on immigration ( 2005) "enough is enough"

Politics: Anger at Labour MP's call for ban on foreign workers

He is part of old guard in the Labour party. Reminds me of Hoey.

Socially conservative and right wing on immigration.
This illustrates the conflicted quality of Brexit=end to free movement.

It seems to me that Godsiff as represented in that article is arguing more against third world, South Asian and Caribbean immigration.
Ironically a lot of Commonwealth migrants seem to be under the impression that limiting European migration will assist them.

Maybe it will if they have relatives who are qualified doctors and surgeons who Boris is promising cut-price visas for.
Then again what is the benefit to the countries that trained them?

This illustrates the conflicted quality of Brexit=end to free movement.

It seems to me that Godsiff as represented in that article is arguing more against third world, South Asian and Caribbean immigration.
Ironically a lot of Commonwealth migrants seem to be under the impression that limiting European migration will assist them.

Maybe it will if they have relatives who are qualified doctors and surgeons who Boris is promising cut-price visas for.
Then again what is the benefit to the countries that trained them?

He also signed a letter ( along with Kate Hoey) to the then leader Miliband ) arguing to stop other EU people coming here to work.

Labour MPs urge leadership to curb free movement within EU

On EU free movement several Afro Carribbean I know saw UKIP arguing for Brexit and end to free movement for East Europeans as the same as what happened in 70s. The Commonwealth had free movement. Then peoples so called legitimate concerns on immigration led to Commonwealth free movement being curtailed.

So one of my Afro Carribbean friends said in run up to referendum that Farage is a racist and anyone who voted UKIP is a racist.

He said the way people went on about East Europeans was same as what is parents got when they first came here.

So he was Remain for that reason.

He also signed a letter ( along with Kate Hoey) to the then leader Miliband ) arguing to stop other EU people coming here to work.

Labour MPs urge leadership to curb free movement within EU

On EU free movement several Afro Carribbean I know saw UKIP arguing for Brexit and end to free movement for East Europeans as the same as what happened in 70s. The Commonwealth had free movement. Then peoples so called legitimate concerns on immigration led to Commonwealth free movement being curtailed.

So one of my Afro Carribbean friends said in run up to referendum that Farage is a racist and anyone who voted UKIP is a racist.

He said the way people went on about East Europeans was same as what is parents got when they first came here.

So he was Remain for that reason.
A few years ago I had a right row with a couple of Communist Party people I knew who where completely opposed to free movement because they thought it drove down British workers wages.
Now that Brexit is on the go, the tories are already talking about an "NHS Visa", so that we can import enough health workers. Once brexit is done, there will be "fruit picking visa", "anything fucking else" visas. Capitalism will not deprive itself of the labour it needs.

I keep a scan of my passport in my phone, which means I don’t have to carry it around with me (don’t have a driving licence). Friendofdorothy- surely that could work for you?

Personally I don't think people shoud have to hand over ID to prove who they are for everyday normal activities like going for a drink.

This has come up at work. Places now demanding ID to deliver something. Company ID not always being enough.

Like workmate said to me yesterday the rich do what they want and we have to justify ourselves to Them. Why don't they just leave us alone.

There is general feeling that the little peoples lives are more policed than before. Yet life has not got better or more secure.

Some of this is driven by technology. Its now possible to have scanning machines or facial recognition CCTV so it just gets used.

Common reason give is its Police advice to bring in more "security". Especially in big buildings.

So gradually its becoming , without it agreed by law or with public debate, that carrying ID is essential. And not just any ID.

David Davis recently said this about the latest technological "advance" in security.

Facial recognition technology threatens to end all individual privacy | David Davis

I'm sure Dogus has already got it ready to go if he is selected. :D

Bad news for um, news hungry people of Birmingham Green Hall but good news for their newspaper hungry compatriots in West Bromwich East as Mr Watson's Labour replacement currently serves us all as Mayor.

Bad news for um, news hungry people of Birmingham Green Hall but good news for their newspaper hungry compatriots in West Bromwich East as Mr Watson's Labour replacement currently serves us all as Mayor.

Your quick off the mark with latest news. I'm impressed.

Ibrahim Dogus replaces Tom Watson as Labour's West Bromwich East candidate - LabourList

Its a Leave seat yet Dogus is a Remainer. He will be up against Galloway - standing as Independent Labour - Pro Brexit.

Your quick off the mark with latest news. I'm impressed.

Ibrahim Dogus replaces Tom Watson as Labour's West Bromwich East candidate - LabourList

Its a Leave seat yet Dogus is a Remainer. He will be up against Galloway - standing as Independent Labour - Pro Brexit.

I am a keen follower of Lambeth politics, like most of us here!

I actually don't mind Dogus, I've met him once or twice and he's pleasant enough but I also am not a big fan of people who are gagging to be a MP to the degree they'll do what he does.

And now we'll probably have yet another Lambeth council by election given Dogus should win.

I actually don't mind Dogus, I've met him once or twice and he's pleasant enough but I also am not a big fan of people who are gagging to be a MP to the degree they'll do what he does.

And now we'll probably have yet another Lambeth council by election given Dogus should win.

The thing about people like Dogus is that he is a social climber. He will hitch his wagon to Corbyn project. If Corbyn gets pushed out of leadership then he will support the new leadership.

Dogus , I'm sure he is nice personally gets to where he is by networking with powerful people.

What I don't understand is why Donatus , another Mayor , has never got anywhere. Even though he has always done whatever the leadership of Lambeth Council says.

Perhaps because Donatus isn't a millionaire business man who can swan around senior Labour party circles pushing his own advancement on the back of the surplus value produced by his workers selling kebabs.

And of course , as he keeps on telling everyone , he is an immigrant whose pulled himself up by his bootstraps. So that is alright then.

I remember when Brown got to be PM Donatus telling me he was Brown supporter all along.

Last edited:

It would be good to have Cllr candidates from Labour party who aren't partners of existing Progress Cllrs or social climbers. Cllrs who are rooted in the local community.

Who are Working class Labour Cllrs who support locals. Such as at LJ where locals have been trying to save adventure playground.

Tossers like Dogus bring proper politics into disrepute.

I'm glad the wanker is going.

Last edited:
Well it should be a proper race this time - hopefully Labour will select someone competent and the Libs will give it a hard run too so whomever Labour put up will need to really work for it, which usually helps remind them they need to keep working

Personally I don't think people shoud have to hand over ID to prove who they are for everyday normal activities like going for a drink.

This has come up at work. Places now demanding ID to deliver something. Company ID not always being enough.

Like workmate said to me yesterday the rich do what they want and we have to justify ourselves to Them. Why don't they just leave us alone.

There is general feeling that the little peoples lives are more policed than before. Yet life has not got better or more secure.

Some of this is driven by technology. Its now possible to have scanning machines or facial recognition CCTV so it just gets used.

Common reason give is its Police advice to bring in more "security". Especially in big buildings.

So gradually its becoming , without it agreed by law or with public debate, that carrying ID is essential. And not just any ID.

David Davis recently said this about the latest technological "advance" in security.

Facial recognition technology threatens to end all individual privacy | David Davis

I’m not saying I agree with it. I’ve had to use it once ever in Brixton. Don’t quite get why people are making out a photo id requirement is quite so prevalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom