Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right about the veg and the meat, more so if you catch them just before they pack up. I did predict it wouldn't last because, despite the changing demographics, it never really catered to long term locals whose tastes and budgets were ignored.
I'm not sure that's correct to be honest. I know Boarstall Meats used to get goat for some of the Caribbean locals. The veg stall was very popular (the one from Lincs) and would have not much left at the end of the day.

What's the main difference between gopro and other cameras? I gather the resolution is just so much better then the rest?

More accessories for GoPro (licenced and unlicenced), too. The licenced stuff tends to have been field-tested and properly quality-controlled, while some of the unlicenced stuff...hasn't.

I think they are. I use it sometimes too, but find quality variable and it's pricey. Just saw French radishes there for more than double the price of Brixton Farmer's Market. But I like the staff - family business I think.

agree the people that run it are always friendly, but the prices are high and a lot of the stuff is on it's last legs. shame really.

Some snaps from around town -

brixton-photo-may-2015-02.jpg

brixton-photo-may-2015-07.jpg

brixton-photo-may-2015-08.jpg

Brixton scenes – sunsets, broken police window and jazz drink catastrophe

I was at the farmer's market just now and Mr Boarstall Meats was telling me how gutted they were that it's closing and how they'd like to find another site. It's Not the number of customers that's the problem for them but Lambeth has decreed there aren't enough stalls paying them rent.

Anyway, I was suggesting Pop Brixton to them and then it occurred to me that the new Granville space on Somerleyton might be good. As if by magic, the lady who runs that space appeared, and offered to save the market. So fingers crossed. :)

I was at the farmer's market just now and Mr Boarstall Meats was telling me how gutted they were that it's closing and how they'd like to find another site. It's Not the number of customers that's the problem for them but Lambeth has decreed there aren't enough stalls paying them rent.

Anyway, I was suggesting Pop Brixton to them and then it occurred to me that the new Granville space on Somerleyton might be good. As if by magic, the lady who runs that space appeared, and offered to save the market. So fingers crossed. :)
it's actually London Farmers Market who are pulling the plug claiming there are not enough stalls for them to cover their cost, the market is there until 26th July, also apparently the lease for the farmers market to use that space is up for renewal in January - not sure if that is the same for all the other markets there, timing is interesting though considering that Network Rail want to start work on the arches around that time

it's actually London Farmers Market who are pulling the plug claiming there are not enough stalls for them to cover their cost, the market is there until 26th July, also apparently the lease for the farmers market to use that space is up for renewal in January - not sure if that is the same for all the other markets there, timing is interesting though considering that Network Rail want to start work on the arches around that time
It has shrunk a fair bit in size recently though.

Because they have to pay rent to the council, no? Anyway, it sound like moving to Granville Market space would be a good solution all round.

Because they have to pay rent to the council, no? Anyway, it sound like moving to Granville Market space would be a good solution all round.
they do have to pay rent to the council, as well as wages for the market manager, advertising (not that there seems to be much for Brixton) office running costs etc. I believe the system is they take a % of the take from each stall, so the turnover of each stall (and their honesty) decides their take for the day. Quite why they chose to stop at the end of July when the lease only runs for another 5 months after that is a mystery to me

Friend pointed out to me that Tessa Jowell launched her campaign to be selected as candidate for London Mayor on Somerleyton road

Amusing to see that the article says she was careful to avoid saying Tony Blair.

I do find it annoying that a pro Iraq war Blairite loyalist can use Brixton to start her campaign.

eab3353f-6991-469a-a564-0b656499f708-300x180.jpeg

well she has been giving it large on the housing shortage so central Brixton resonates with that
predictably another blairite lord Adonis has said she's the best candidate but he also said that
demolishing social housing and rebuilding with private investment like Lambeth are doing
is the way forward, an idea which the Tory scum are keen on too,
http://www.conservativehome.com/loc...n-to-lord-adonis-on-estate-redevelopment.html

Friend pointed out to me that Tessa Jowell launched her campaign to be selected as candidate for London Mayor on Somerleyton road

Amusing to see that the article says she was careful to avoid saying Tony Blair.

I do find it annoying that a pro Iraq war Blairite loyalist can use Brixton to start her campaign.

eab3353f-6991-469a-a564-0b656499f708-300x180.jpeg

She also passionately helped block a public inquiry into that illegal war. She is as crooked as they come.

well she has been giving it large on the housing shortage so central Brixton resonates with that
predictably another blairite lord Adonis has said she's the best candidate but he also said that
demolishing social housing and rebuilding with private investment like Lambeth are doing
is the way forward, an idea which the Tory scum are keen on too,
http://www.conservativehome.com/localgovernment/201s 5/04/the-conservatives-should-listen-to-lord-adonis-on-estate-redevelopment.html

Thats an interesting read.

This is my problem with Jowell. She, like some Tories, is good at making the right noises but in practise she is on the right of the Labour party.

What happens in Brixton every Sunday now that means the place is over run with dickheads in fancy dress?
It's been full of zany fancy dress clowns for the past few days, utterly tedious.
This twattery:
The Church Party Bar
thechurchlondon.com/
So this is it…don't miss the chance to say I was at one of the last ever Church ... The Church@ Electric Brixton, Town Hall Parade, Brixton, London SW2 1RJ

Thats an interesting read.

This is my problem with Jowell. She, like some Tories, is good at making the right noises but in practise she is on the right of the Labour party.

There are no shortage of Nu Labour twonks in Lambeth Town Hall who are keen to support Dame Tessa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom