Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
thunder-lightning-08.jpg

Here's how it looked from my window.
i want you to take pictures of Thornton Heath. I like most of your pics and it'll be interesting to see what you choose to capture.

Fly tipping is a problem - but more annoying is the amount of dog shit on the pavements. I'm so sick of it. One day i counted 5 different shits on our street - this is a street on which there is a primary school, so tons of kids walking up and down it daily - shit everywhere. It's so annoying. If you can't be arsed to pick up your dog's shit - at least drag the dog into the gutter to shit in the first place... :mad:

Yes. Ever since they introduced a charge for collecting bulky waste, and also from builders who don't want to have to pay to dump their crap.
Fly tipping has been a big problem in Brixton for a long time.I followed and took snaps of big tipper trucks coming from a big building site in Pimlico and them dropping the waste at the top of Villa road and Wiltshire road outcome Lambeth did nothing.A huge tyre dump was a feature outside St Johns school for years as well.It's not as bad as it was but believe me it was pretty bad.

Fly tipping is a problem - but more annoying is the amount of dog shit on the pavements. I'm so sick of it. One day i counted 5 different shits on our street - this is a street on which there is a primary school, so tons of kids walking up and down it daily - shit everywhere. It's so annoying. If you can't be arsed to pick up your dog's shit - at least drag the dog into the gutter to shit in the first place... :mad:
honestly - one year in jail without parole. serious.

we have a house down the road from us that still has its dumped xmas tree in the front garden. my blood boils every time i walk past. which makes me sad and i should get a life.

BUT FUCKING HELL IT'S MAY! MAY!

I DON'T CARE HOW HARD UP YOU ARE, PUT A FEW PENNIES ASIDE EACH MONTH AND GET IT FUCKING CLEARED!

Last edited:
Toplin House consultation in case anyone is interested:
View attachment 71598
View attachment 71599

I went to see the proposals this evening. Came away impressed. This is a sensitive development of this building. They have gone back and looked at how Bon Marche looked in its heyday. The design proposals are influenced by this. So its sympathetic to original design. It will be an improvement to the streetscape. The post office will stay but move a bit further up.

Squire and Partners, the architectural firm who have bought the site, are in Kings Cross. But they have outgrown that site. So they want to develop this site as a permanent office building for the practise. The plans will also include commercial space they will rent out. There is already planning permission for the site. Surprisingly in design terms there proposals improve on the existing permission.

There is permission for a small amount of housing. At this time they will not build it. There plans say five years on this part of the site for commercial use. They have heard about Brixton Cycles. I did say they would get a lot of support if they offered them space in the development.

I had a chat with two of the architects who were present. They are genuinely interested in knowing more about Brixton. I did say that Brixton is still classified as a deprived area. It would be good if they could do outreach work with schools.

Whether they will connect with the local communities long term will only be known once they are here for a while.

However the design they are proposing is good first step.

The are talking about a cafe/ bar where the Post Office is now. This is likely to be run by them as part staff bar and also for public. They say they want to be able have there practise mix with the public.

Left my contact details with them.

They have already been in contact with Brixton Society and market traders.

They also contacted Reclaim Brixton who put this exhibition RB facebook page.

Told them that editor had put then and now photos of Brixton up on Urban. They were interested in that. They have been looking at U75 and Brixton Buzz as part of research into the area. They were interested to meet a poster from there.

Almost got into row with another person who turned up. Another longtime Brixton resident who said was in banking now. Or something like that. Completely opposite views on the pros and cons of the changes to Brixton. ie he had little time for the shopkeepers in the arches.

As I told the architects afterwards Brixton is a place of conflict. That is what makes it interesting

Last edited:
I went to see the proposals this evening. Came away impressed. This is a sensitive development of this building. They have gone back and looked at how Bon Marche looked in its heyday. The design proposals are influenced by this.
The bit I liked was the way they have changed the previous applicant's plain glass box roof terrace into a Victorian style conservatory - slightly reminiscent of the glass house at the Horniman Museum.

I notice the exhibition was co-ordinated by Fluid - indeed one of the Fluid people recognised me from the Brixton Central workshops. I asked him what was happening on Brixton Central proposals at the moment - and he said there was a slight problem with Network Rail!

Bit late with this one. Apparently Val's decision was made easier by the lack of support coming her way from *some* in the Lambeth Cabinet.

*some* in the Lambeth Cabinet now rather fancy their chances at replacing Val.

Fancy that.

Ooh, interesting, who would that be?

I went to see the proposals this evening. Came away impressed. This is a sensitive development of this building. They have gone back and looked at how Bon Marche looked in its heyday. The design proposals are influenced by this. So its sympathetic to original design. It will be an improvement to the streetscape. The post office will stay but move a bit further up.

Squire and Partners, the architectural firm who have bought the site, are in Kings Cross. But they have outgrown that site. So they want to develop this site as a permanent office building for the practise. The plans will also include commercial space they will rent out. There is already planning permission for the site. Surprisingly in design terms there proposals improve on the existing permission.

There is permission for a small amount of housing. At this time they will not build it. There plans say five years on this part of the site for commercial use. They have heard about Brixton Cycles. I did say they would get a lot of support if they offered them space in the development.

I had a chat with two of the architects who were present. They are genuinely interested in knowing more about Brixton. I did say that Brixton is still classified as a deprived area. It would be good if they could do outreach work with schools.

Whether they will connect with the local communities long term will only be known once they are here for a while.

However the design they are proposing is good first step.

The are talking about a cafe/ bar where the Post Office is now. This is likely to be run by them as part staff bar and also for public. They say they want to be able have there practise mix with the public.

Left my contact details with them.

They have already been in contact with Brixton Society and market traders.

They also contacted Reclaim Brixton who put this exhibition RB facebook page.

Told them that editor had put then and now photos of Brixton up on Urban. They were interested in that. They have been looking at U75 and Brixton Buzz as part of research into the area. They were interested to meet a poster from there.

Almost got into row with another person who turned up. Another longtime Brixton resident who said was in banking now. Or something like that. Completely opposite views on the pros and cons of the changes to Brixton. ie he had little time for the shopkeepers in the arches.

As I told the architects afterwards Brixton is a place of conflict. That is what makes it interesting
That a large-ish commercially oriented architectural practice like Squire and Partners is willing to relocate to Brixton (or indeed south of the river) is truly a sign of the times. Perhaps even more so than the various chain food outlets that are popping up. The notion would have been laughed at ten years ago....asking their clients in Knightsbridge or wherever to come to meetings in Brixton.

That a large-ish commercially oriented architectural practice like Squire and Partners is willing to relocate to Brixton (or indeed south of the river) is truly a sign of the times. Perhaps even more so than the various chain food outlets that are popping up. The notion would have been laughed at ten years ago....asking their clients in Knightsbridge or wherever to come to meetings in Brixton.
I agree. Takes some confidence to be the first corporate to make a move like that. But as soon as one has done it... Assuming we have the space, that is.

All that supposedly impossible-to-let commercial space on the ground floors of housing developments like the Viaduct one.....

Bit late with this one. Apparently Val's decision was made easier by the lack of support coming her way from *some* in the Lambeth Cabinet.

*some* in the Lambeth Cabinet now rather fancy their chances at replacing Val.

Fancy that.
I remember leafleting for Val way back in the '80s when she was attempting to win a Wandsworth Council ward. She's a good old-fashioned activism-based politician. Always remembers why she's doing the job. I'll be sad to see her go, especially if she's replaced by one of the dog-fuckers in the cabinet.

I agree. Takes some confidence to be the first corporate to make a move like that. But as soon as one has done it... Assuming we have the space, that is.

quite surprised by this as well, a bold move for a company of that type/size. The design is bound to be decent, architects tend to pull out the stops on their own offices

Did you see my post on the Tulse Hill thread gaijingirl? Someone allowed their dog to crap underneath my gate, on my doorstep! :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom