Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else get a brief power wobble then?

*edit: I think it's just my light bulb

**feels a bit foolish

Not my photo but hail still coming down onto the track:

11258163_1015087161849488_1501510189626627573_n.jpg

On the other hand I am not keen on seeing security everywhere. There is even one in the small Coop shop in LJ. I think there is to much of it. I find it intrusive.
Not sure it is entirely a new thing. Just that in the coop the guy wears a uniform. If you go in the Nisa across the road there is very often one of the staff standing near the door keeping an eye out for trouble/shoplifting etc.

But it is true I think that visibly identifiable security" staff are becoming more widespread.

About 10 years ago I spent some time in Russia. It was very noticeable that almost *everywhere* had, essentially, bouncers on the door. The atmosphere it creates is unwelcome.

The numbers of outside security people patrolling the Village and Market Row seems to have hugely increased. I don't like it at all. It makes the place feel like those unpleasant new corporate-run 'public' spaces where you feel you can hassled on the whim of a security guard.

Not sure it is entirely a new thing. Just that in the coop the guy wears a uniform. If you go in the Nisa across the road there is very often one of the staff standing near the door keeping an eye out for trouble/shoplifting etc.

The job of the future - no cashiers on tills anymore but more security to stop people helping themselves to the stock. The irony is that security are probably paid more than check-out assistants.

GLL/ Better who manage the Brixton Rec are not living wage employers.

Even though they have been managing the Rec for some time. From what I know they are endeavouring to move to LLW. The problem is that they keep pushing this to some time in the future.
I'm disappointed to hear that. The Better people who are in the gym are friendly and helpful and most importantly knowledgeable. They keep people safe, especially those new to doing weights.

I guess they can supplement their pay doing some personal training but that's not the point

You could probably buy an entire guitar at Crack Converters for f/a, and just cannibalise it.

It all went a bit violent in M&S just now.
Exiting customer versus security, don't know the right and wrongs of it.
Security guard was built like George Foreman and batted away punches, customer much smaller and keen to fight on even with a mouthful of blood and his partner urging him to come away and look after his baby daughter. Police arrived way too late.

This lady got knocked down.
rsz_2015-05-20_153457.jpg

Plenty of customers giving the security guard post fight advice such as, "you should have dealt with that better, if you wanted to fight him you should have taken him outside."

Licence application is on for Cabana restaurant. Bon Marche building opposite Ferndale Road post office.

For those who think there are not enough bars and restaurants on Coldharbour Lane I noticed that there is an application on the former Joy premises to change from A1 to A3.

Presumably this means the entrance foyer to the Premier Inn above H &M will be doubling up as another hostelry to offset the paucity of such establishments in that part of SW9. I think what we need is a piano bar. They have one in Novotel in Accra!

For those who think there are not enough bars and restaurants on Coldharbour Lane I noticed that there is an application on the former Joy premises to change from A1 to A3.

Presumably this means the entrance foyer to the Premier Inn above H &M will be doubling up as another hostelry to offset the paucity of such establishments in that part of SW9. I think what we need is a piano bar. They have one in Novotel in Accra!
To be fair you would expect most hotels to have bars, for the guests at least. And if you're staying you can presumably use it at any time of day or night, which will come useful to guests at certain times of the day/ days of the week.

All premier inns have a bar and serve food to guests and then do breakfast in the same space.

I'd imagine the bar won't be very well used, all the city centre ones I've stayed in generally aren't.

Out of town ones are next to pubs owned by whitbread that do the food etc.

Reactions: CH1
The actual bar/dining room for the hotel will be on the 1st floor, above and behind the old Joy building.

Love Lambeth has been going for ages now. Sooo cuddly and touchy feely!

Edit: I think it surfaced around the time of the website redesign.

I see our (that is Lambeth and Southwark's) London Assembly Member Val Shawcross is to stand down at the next election - http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8266 - expect a keenly fought contest for the Labour nomination in what must be one of the safest seats

Bit late with this one. Apparently Val's decision was made easier by the lack of support coming her way from *some* in the Lambeth Cabinet.

*some* in the Lambeth Cabinet now rather fancy their chances at replacing Val.

Fancy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom