Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had chicken & lemon in a wrap from the big white stall outside the Moroccan Cafe on Brixton Station Road, always freshly cooked and great value.
Brixton is already busy this evening. The Beehive have security disguised as undertakers on the door.

Did you see my post on the Tulse Hill thread gaijingirl? Someone allowed their dog to crap underneath my gate, on my doorstep! :hmm:
It happened to me too and I caught the offending dog infraganti, as I was just going out of the house. Big one, kind of labrador- German shepherd mix. Lovely and friendly looking but clearly not taught any better by the fuckwit owner, who didn't have it on a leash.

The dog had walked up our front path a few times previously, probably aroused by the scent of our cats, but had never left us a present before. When the owner walked past a few moments later I asked 'wtf man', but he simply shrugged his shoulders.

I'm in Tulse Hill too. Perhaps is the same offender.

Not the only one walking loose, sadly. One of my cats was attacked by a staffie a while back, though luckily he held his own and escaped unharmed, even if so shaken he disappeared for two days.

Sadly the neighbour's cat down the road wasn't so lucky with a pair of greyhounds that are also walked past regularly :(

It happened to me too and I caught the offending dog infraganti, as I was just going out of the house. Big one, kind of labrador- German shepherd mix. Lovely and friendly looking but clearly not taught any better by the fuckwit owner, who didn't have it on a leash.

The dog had walked up our front path a few times previously, probably aroused by the scent of our cats, but had never left us a present before. When the owner walked past a few moments later I asked 'wtf man', but he simply shrugged his shoulders.

I'm in Tulse Hill too. Perhaps is the same offender.

Not the only one walking loose, sadly. One of my cats was attacked by a staffie a while back, though luckily he held his own and escaped unharmed, even if so shaken he disappeared for two days.

Sadly the neighbour's cat down the road wasn't so lucky with a pair of greyhounds that are also walked past regularly :(
I'm installing a camera on my gate post as I type...

I'm installing a camera on my gate post as I type...

I've just bought a GoPro for my bike to record motorists who show signs of trying to kill me but I have left it on the bike twice whilst in a supermarket so I'm grateful to still have it, maybe thieves are getting thicker or everyone is recording everything and everyone is getting more honest.
This could go deep and I'm not sure I like it, the 70's felt a bit shit but at least we had the three day week and you could get away with stuff.
Now it's all tech solutions, that gate post thing is a good idea but how discreet is it? What would stop a determined dog fouler from kicking the shit out of it?

I've just bought a GoPro for my bike to record motorists who show signs of trying to kill me but I have left it on the bike twice whilst in a supermarket so I'm grateful to still have it, maybe thieves are getting thicker or everyone is recording everything and everyone is getting more honest.
This could go deep and I'm not sure I like it, the 70's felt a bit shit but at least we had the three day week and you could get away with stuff.
Now it's all tech solutions, that gate post thing is a good idea but how discreet is it? What would stop a determined dog fouler from kicking the shit out of it?
What's the main difference between gopro and other cameras? I gather the resolution is just so much better then the rest?

Thanks for the news. Thought it was looking a bit tired last time I was down there. Don't think having the Herne Hill one just up the road helps it.
I stopped going a while ago - combination of getting all my veg delivered by Local Greens and the irresistible convenience of the Brixton Water Lane Sainsburys.

What's the main difference between gopro and other cameras? I gather the resolution is just so much better then the rest?

It's not really the resolution, it's about the price, barrel distortion, lighting.
You can get an idea from my test ride higher up the thread;

If you are new to action cameras as I am you need to understand resolution issues can be compromised by editing/uploading software.

You can get cameras that claim to do 720 at 60 fpm but they are kind of fibbing by repeating the same frame twice, for example the SJ4000 you can get a good example here;

I think that was a fair review and it will lead you onto others options for research.

I've not played about with 1080 yet because my monitor is 720.

Rather than fuck about with unknown budget cameras I went with the GoPro Hero at £95 with offers; look on Argos.
I was very tempted by the SJ4000 but was put off by clones, maybe editor can offer something here?

I jest...

if you catch the owner and he "shrugs his shoulders", make sure to follow him home and drop your dinner on his path.

Sunday morning farmers market gonna close down. Not enough customers apparently.

Always seemed busy to me when I managed to get up early enough to see it.

Though not sure how much they actually sold in the morning. To be frank its still not that affordable compared to the regular market.

If I buy fruit and veg I get it on Saturdays from regular market. Its way cheaper for those on a budget.

We are dealing with basic people who don't want to speak about the cost meat so we fucked off up the road to get rid of our flesh.

Always seemed busy to me when I managed to get up early enough to see it.

Though not sure how much they actually sold in the morning. To be frank its still not that affordable compared to the regular market.

If I buy fruit and veg I get it on Saturdays from regular market. Its way cheaper for those on a budget.

I agree about the price of veg but I liked the seasonality and the high quality - and the fact you could get stuff like French breakfast radishes and heritage tomatoes that actually had a good flavour. And English asparagus rather than Spanish (scoured the regular market for that yesterday and did finally find some). I also find the quality of stuff at the daily market very variable.

For meat, Boarstall Meat compares very favourably on price, especially for their free-range chicken, which is very, very good. I won't buy meat from most of the butchers in the Brixton, tbh.

I am not on a tight budget though.

Well, it's all about market forces, there was some room for people like you in Brixton but now you have to deal with those Herne Hill gangsters.
"People like me". :D

I actually live half way between Brixton and Herne Hill but much preferred Brixton. Cheaper, better for veg and meat and Cafe Max for post-shopping sustenance.

I actually live half way between Brixton and Herne Hill but much preferred Brixton. Cheaper, better for veg and meat and Cafe Max for post-shopping sustenance.

You're right about the veg and the meat, more so if you catch them just before they pack up. I did predict it wouldn't last because, despite the changing demographics, it never really catered to long term locals whose tastes and budgets were ignored.

I've just started using the green grocer in Herne Hill and they seem to be excellent (shop, rather than Sunday stall). Wasn't sure whether they are one of the businesses being turfed out?

I've just started using the green grocer in Herne Hill and they seem to be excellent (shop, rather than Sunday stall). Wasn't sure whether they are one of the businesses being turfed out?
I think they are. I use it sometimes too, but find quality variable and it's pricey. Just saw French radishes there for more than double the price of Brixton Farmer's Market. But I like the staff - family business I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom