Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were you a Merrydown drinker? Merrydown Way by the Bickley Arms used to have bottles piled up in homage.

I was actually teetotal into my early 20s after a very unfortunate cider incident in my early teens... I think it may have been Merrydown... not sure. Either way.. merrydown rings a big bell and I have a very very bad memory of those years.

I was actually teetotal into my early 20s after a very unfortunate cider incident in my early teens... I think it may have been Merrydown... not sure. Either way.. merrydown rings a big bell and I have a very very bad memory of those years.

My wife the same. Exactly the same

The first alcopop type thing i drank was on the Bank holiday just gone when my niece insisted i drink a bright red strawberry vodka shot thing because i was not in Brixton, "you are in Essex now", Hornchurch really, but she insisted on trying to get me drunk. I've been missing most of her life so she has that right and i drank several shot of this sugar thing.

Last edited:
Just had my front for kicked hard by a drunken neighbour who I have previously reported for allowing her dog to shit freely on the communal areas.
She has just left the block. I am in bed but want to go and put superglue in her lock.
I'm just going to stay calm unless she comes back in next 30mins then I will confront her.
I have had a drink as well but this is not on.

Yep, I will stay calm and not be provoked by an imbecile. Will just note it and report it to council as ongoing abuse, Monday morning.

Had a hotdog in the market last night - an evening pop up in the Express Cafe. Actually, mine was a beef brisket which was very tasty. They had run out of soft rolls so were using baguettes - mine was fine but when they asked whether we'd enjoyed the food my mate commented that although the filling was very tasty (mexican chilli dog) the roll was far too crunchy to enjoy. They owner unexpectedly insisted on not charging for his.

A bit pricey - between £6 and £8 without sides - so comparable in price to Honest. Sides are great (sweet potatoes fries and some little popper chilli cheese things). It is BYO so involved a quick trip to Market Row wines. The people running it were really very friendly - Brazillian and Spanish, I think. We really liked some weird little pickled chillis in the sauce and they went to a load of effort to find out what they were called and where we can buy them. Reckon they could do with knocking £1 off the prices, or maybe including the fries.

Be advised, if you are unfortunate enough to be visiting Brixton JobCentre, staff and management are in chaos implementing new rules regarding signing on. No prior notification of these changes has been issued to claimants. Frontline staff do not understand the new rules which went live in Brixton office yesterday afternoon with no notice/training provided to staff.
All JSA claimants not on the Work Programme will be required to sign on weekly, those that have completed the Work Programme are required to sign on daily. Claimants currently on the Work Programme are not affected by these changes.

On a broader perspective i have to check whether these changes are lawful. DWP changes the rules frequently without the need for primary legislation.
these were stuck on the walls outside the "job"centre in Brixton today:

ib2FdUk.jpg

There is a new one being installed in Brailsford Road. But it is impossible to get a reply regarding booking a space in it.
I've recently spotted a few houses round here which have got them in the front garden - a kind of mini-cycle hanger holding two bikes. No idea how much they cost though.

I reckon you could build one yourself. Just concrete a Sheffield stand into the ground in the front yard/garden (if you're lucky enough to have one) and build a canopy out of wood/tarpaulin or whatever.

Can't remember if I mentioned it before, but Atlantis /Bar and Grill has been bought by Dogstar /Effra Social owners Antic, and changes will be made.
That place has a 6am licence. 6am!

A licence to print money!

Even though it was a bit shit when it was Atlantis / Brixton Bar & Grill, I liked the fact you could rock up at 4am and get in without having to pay anything. Really wanted to do a party there but it never worked out.

I've recently spotted a few houses round here which have got them in the front garden - a kind of mini-cycle hanger holding two bikes. No idea how much they cost though.

I reckon you could build one yourself. Just concrete a Sheffield stand into the ground in the front yard/garden (if you're lucky enough to have one) and build a canopy out of wood/tarpaulin or whatever.

I've heard that those things are just an advert that you can afford a decent bike, as you have the money to spunk on a mini bike holder.

A hacksaw, tin opener or spoon then opens it and your bike is gone.

Even though it was a bit shit when it was Atlantis / Brixton Bar & Grill, I liked the fact you could rock up at 4am and get in without having to pay anything. Really wanted to do a party there but it never worked out.
My sister bigs the place up for the same reason. I've never even been.

£10 from Argos, this is mine;
http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/my-cycle-storage-solution.312341/

£450, an owner of one has just informed me

sorry to ask a slightly repetitive question but the search isn't working for me at the moment. Where are good places to go in Brixton for lunch that aren't in the sodding Village? I always seem to walk around the centre and then end up in the Village. last time I think I went to the Kaff or Lounge on Atlantic Rd but it was only so-so, whichever one it was.

just want to show a friend that there's more to Brixton than the Village...

So why does Off The Cuff need to charge £100 a year for a late licence?

We went to the "village" last night after seeing a friend's gig in the hope of getting some food. It was unbelievably packed. Ended up with spaghetti and a glass of red at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom