Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that those things are just an advert that you can afford a decent bike, as you have the money to spunk on a mini bike holder.

A hacksaw, tin opener or spoon then opens it and your bike is gone.
But if you have one your insurance will buy you another bike. Whereas if you lock it to a drainpipe behind a hedge, you may still be arguing with the insurance firm 8 months later.,...

Just round the corner from me there are four garages which are being knocked down so three flats can be built. There is no parking as part of the development. What's interesting is the section 106 agreement, which states that whoever moves into the flats will not be able to apply for a residents parking permit. Instead, the developer has to buy a two-year membership to a car club for the people living in the flats.

Pretty good idea I reckon, given the tube, rail station and bus stops are all within a few hundred metres - as well as schools, shops and everything else within walkiong distance.

in other words a car rental business masquerading as a community based club
one big difference is they don't use garages but store their vehicles on the public highway
I don't think any of them claim to be "community" clubs.

The cars live in bays taken away from residents parking - therefore they are near your house, which is convenient.

A car club?
Zipcar or similar- you pay an amour per year for access then can hire cars by the half hour if you need to pop to B&Q, or pick up heavy shopping or whatever. There are cars all over the place- there is one in the front drive of a house 2 streets away from us, v conveniently. They're brilliant, we use them rather than own a car, we've even used them for weekends away.

I don't think any of them claim to be "community" clubs.

The cars live in bays taken away from residents parking - therefore they are near your house, which is convenient.
the word club is deliberately used so they appear to be community rather than business
the fact they are convenient means they do not do anything to take cars off the road
really all they do is transfer car ownership from individuals to businesses

in other words a car rental business masquerading as a community based club
one big difference is they don't use garages but store their vehicles on the public highway
No, they store the cars where they can rent spaces. So industrial units, houses, flats, etc. they rent some street side bats from Lambeth, they aren't just randomly dumped in the street.

the word club is deliberately used so they appear to be community rather than business
the fact they are convenient means they do not do anything to take cars off the road
really all they do is transfer car ownership from individuals to businesses
The name car club is the name for the industry- I can't find them anywhere on zipcars' website. And of course they take cars off the road- of the 6 people I know on this side of my street, one has a car, the rest of us have zipcar memberships. So that's a load of people who don't have cars that would otherwise have a runabout.

the price per hour + petrol must make that quite expensive ?
Nope, cheaper than Hertz and Avis, and petrol included. The only issue is availability, if a car is already booked for half an hour on Sunday afternoon, you can't take it. We'd do it more often if we were organised enough to plan in advance.

The name car club is the name for the industry- I can't find them anywhere on zipcars' website. And of course they take cars off the road- of the 6 people I know on this side of my street, one has a car, the rest of us have zipcar memberships. So that's a load of people who don't have cars that would otherwise have a runabout.
the claim is that there will always be enough cars to satisfy the "members" demand so if all 6 of those people wanted to use a car at the same time then the same number of cars will be out on the road....

Petrol's included. It's normally about £6 an hour. Cheaper than a taxi. There's daily cap of about £49 I think. They are best for short trips.
Zipcar does a weekend deal now, somewhere like Kendalls is still cheaper, but you've got to get to Wimbledon to pick it up, which is such a faff

Zipcar does a weekend deal now, somewhere like Kendalls is still cheaper, but you've got to get to Wimbledon to pick it up, which is such a faff
Yeah, the traditional car rental places are definitely cheaper for longer trips, but I don't have a) an up to date driving licence, and b) a credit card, so they won't rent me a car :D

the claim is that there will always be enough cars to satisfy the "members" demand so if all 6 of those people wanted to use a car at the same time then the same number of cars will be out on the road....
If you upscale that by the number of members, they have economies of scale. Even if we all decided to do something at the same time, everybody on every street in Brixton won't.

Yeah, the traditional car rental places are definitely cheaper for longer trips, but I don't have a) an up to date driving licence, and b) a credit card, so they won't rent me a car :D
We have a discount card for Hertz and they are still staggeringly expensive.

Nope, cheaper than Hertz and Avis, and petrol included. The only issue is availability, if a car is already booked for half an hour on Sunday afternoon, you can't take it. We'd do it more often if we were organised enough to plan in advance.
Zip Car is Avis. They are a bunch of cunts although probably no more so than most rental companies.After I took out a fully comp waiver for a month while I moved they rolled the payment over so I was being charged for it every month.When I told them to fuck off I never agreed to a rolling payment they threatened to send the bailiffs in.That was over twelve months ago,haven't heard from them since.

There are obviously more cars than members - otherwise we'd all have a personal car parked outside our house. There's two cars at the end of the street next to mine. I reckon they are probably shared by 20-30 people, maybe more. If they are both being used, there are other cars parked elsewhere in Brixton I can borrow. I think that's what they mean when they say "there will always be enough cars to satisfy the "members" demand."

There are obviously more cars than members - otherwise we'd all have a personal car parked outside our house. There's two cars at the end of the street next to mine. I reckon they are probably shared by 20-30 people, maybe more. If they are both being used, there are other cars parked elsewhere in Brixton I can borrow. I think that's what they mean when they say "there will always be enough cars to satisfy the "members" demand."

I just popped out to the shop and saw some appalling driving by a young guy in a zipvan, for his grand finale he reversed out of a driveway into the path of an oncoming cyclist who if they hadn't swerved would have paid a price for the convenience of zip cars. I am not knocking the idea of renting cars if that's what people want to do but the idea they are the answer to a bigger problem doesn't work for me, the best way to get cars off the road is to make it inconvenient to use them which has been done, providing a convenient and profitable ( for the operator and the hedge fund that owns them) substitute just seems like a con trick to me

Last edited:
colacubes said:
Crown & Anchor is excellent but pricey.

Thought that might be a good (very local) choice. I am kinda torn between getting a decent one or going for an average place in order to be able to afford more steak for my bucks :D

Aiming for approx 16oz :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom