Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought that might be a good (very local) choice. I am kinda torn between getting a decent one or going for an average place in order to be able to afford more steak for my bucks :D

Aiming for approx 16oz :oops:

I'd recommend O Cantinho de Portugal on Stockwell Rd in that case (almost opposite Queens Head). Steak in Peppercorn Sauce there is epic size and fairly cheap. Quality not as good as Crown & Anchor, but perfectly reasonable for my prole tastes :D

colacubes said:
I'd recommend O Cantinho de Portugal on Stockwell Rd in that case (almost opposite Queens Head). Steak in Peppercorn Sauce there is epic size and fairly cheap. Quality not as good as Crown & Anchor, but perfectly reasonable for my prole tastes :D

Never been there before so would be good to try somewhere new :cool:

I just popped out to the shop and saw some appalling driving by a young guy in a zipvan, for his grand finale he reversed out of a driveway into the path of an oncoming cyclist who if they hadn't swerved would have paid a price for the convenience of zip cars.

Yep, I've seen some appalling driving from people in ZipVans and that firm you can rent from for a few hours from IKEA. Mostly driven by people who've never driven vans before and haven't got the necessary skills to use their mirrors. If you're driving or cycling behind one of them...keep your distance.

sorry to ask a slightly repetitive question but the search isn't working for me at the moment. Where are good places to go in Brixton for lunch that aren't in the sodding Village? I always seem to walk around the centre and then end up in the Village. last time I think I went to the Kaff or Lounge on Atlantic Rd but it was only so-so, whichever one it was.

just want to show a friend that there's more to Brixton than the Village...

If you like dim sum, try Courtesan on Atlantic Road

I just wandered down to the Love Walk Cafe in Camberwell for breakfast. Bloody'ell - I'm stuffed. Sweetcorn fritters with halloumi and mashed avocado - £7.50. So very very tasty.

So why does Off The Cuff need to charge £100 a year for a late licence?
I don't think 6am licences are handed out anymore in Brixton centre - that one will be historic and quite valuable. I don't think they ever were in Herne Hill. That's why OTC is a private members bar - to get extra hours where they would not usually be permitted. It means they have more controls over how they operate compared to a normal walk in bar. How much they charge for membership is up to the licence holder.

Badgers
The place next door to O Cantinho - La Barca - has closed recently and been replaced by a Turkish Grill. Kinda like a posh kebab shop. They do takeaway but they also have a cavernous restaurant inside. The food is decent. Not sure if they do steaks, but worth a look.

So why does Off The Cuff need to charge £100 a year for a late licence?

I don't think 6am licences are handed out anymore in Brixton centre - that one will be historic and quite valuable. I don't think they ever were in Herne Hill. That's why OTC is a private members bar - to get extra hours where they would not usually be permitted. It means they have more controls over how they operate compared to a normal walk in bar. How much they charge for membership is up to the licence holder.
Yes.

I think they have to charge something, but they have chosen to charge that amount.

Yes.

I think they have to charge something, but they have chosen to charge that amount.
Interestingly - there is no history of a planning application for change of use to a suis generis private members club. I am fairly sure TfL can designate land which they own as part of a station however they like - this may be the case with these arches too?

Interestingly - there is no history of a planning application for change of use to a suis generis private members club. I am fairly sure TfL can designate land which they own as part of a station however they like - this may be the case with these arches too?

I'm slightly confused about how they are operating currently - there is a club premises licence currently under consideration on the Lambeth licensing page http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/business-...licence-comments/current-licence-applications (app http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Application_Club1756.pdf) - but as you say there doesnt seem to have been any application for temporary or permanent licences for the site in the past - surely if the committee hasnt decided they shouldnt be operating?

I'm slightly confused about how they are operating currently - there is a club premises licence currently under consideration on the Lambeth licensing page http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/business-...licence-comments/current-licence-applications (app http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Application_Club1756.pdf) - but as you say there doesnt seem to have been any application for temporary or permanent licences for the site in the past - surely if the committee hasnt decided they shouldnt be operating?
I was referring to planning rather than licensing. Licensing seemed to be in and out when I was visiting and everyone was very relaxed about it.

I intend to protest at my local polling station by setting fire to my ballot paper. Join me and/or go to your own polling station and do the same. Let's get organised. Come on. A day of action is called for (by me). If you feel the same PM i'm serious about this. I will even organise it if no one else will.

I intend to protest at my local polling station by setting fire to my ballot paper. Join me and/or go to your own polling station and do the same. Let's get organised. Come on. A day of action is called for (by me). If you feel the same PM i'm serious about this. I will even organise it if no one else will.

I can't set fire to it and photograph it simultaneously so i would require a sympathetic snapper to accompany me. I'm good but not that good. You take care of the snaps i will deal with the lack of democracy.

I also need some slogans that i can print out at home in A4, nothing graphic just words, have you seen the price of printer ink? I can print some leaflets and share them.
"Brixton says no to democracy" could be misinterpreted. "Bollocks to the Brixton Ballot" is also shit. "Fuck U EU" could get me arrested and does not necessarily reflect my views (it's nuanced and might require a seperate thread). A simple "No" is positive and negative in equal measure and is also open to misinterpretation. I need some ideas.

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg

I was thinking of just drawing a cock on my ballot paper.

I am pro-EU though and think that amongst the bureaucracy and committees that people have forgotten the world wars which tore Europe to shreds before we had a formal way to work together.

Anyone who comes to the UK to work is welcome in my opinion and the border agencies are petty little nazis.

So what to do? Cock, Rufus Hound or just depress myself by voting again for a Labour Party which I increasingly dislike

I was thinking of just drawing a cock on my ballot paper.

I am pro-EU though and think that amongst the bureaucracy and committees that people have forgotten the world wars which tore Europe to shreds before we had a formal way to work together.

Anyone who comes to the UK to work is welcome in my opinion and the border agencies are petty little nazis.

So what to do? Cock, Rufus Hound or just depress myself by voting again for a Labour Party which I increasingly dislike

I'm also pro EU but not in its current form, which is essentially just a neo liberal trade block. I don't like the idea of drawing a big cock on my ballot paper. This is my favourite so far.
Spoiled ballot paper.jpg

Good work Rushy for getting the ball rolling.
Solidarity with all working class people on this glorious day that the capitalists have tried to consign to the dustbin of history.

The scene outside Lambeth College.
BmiUYZ6IcAAd-En.jpg:large

LambethCollegeStrike @LambethStrike
Picket line still growing at Brixton... pic.twitter.com/8h3Q01luw8

There's a couple of excellent films about the Lambeth College strike and the Ritzy strike as well as the 3 cosas cleaners strike showing this Thursday 15th, 7.30pm, at the lovely Grosvenor pub in Sidney Road, SW9 0TP. Made by REEL NEWS. There will also be the premier of The Biomass Emergency, about the impacts and folly of burning foreign forests for electricity - the most dangerous false solution to climate change and energy security. Solidarity. Be there. https://www.facebook.com/events/1449608541950485/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom