Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks - the likelihood of me doing anything proactive about it in the next few months is small but might well be interested in looking into it at some point.

It's a good idea - I don't have a bike in London at the moment and the main reason is that it's so hard to find somewhere to store it ... a very common situation in London houses/flats with narrow entrance halls and/or no gardens.
You'll need patience. I have been trying to get one for Tunstall Road / Shannon Grove. No one replies, I get passed from one person to another, etc.. Plenty of offers to sell me one but how to get one in the street is a mystery.

I have mixed feeling about Antic. They're adept at legal financial shenanigans which involve bouncing back from bankruptcy more or less unscathed (and, presumably, with debtors left unpaid) and that's clearly not a good thing.

But on the other hand they're saving pubs that otherwise would almost certainly have been lost to flats etc., and some venues are quite generous with letting community groups use their facilities for free.

YUp

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/Pub-firm-Antic-Ltd-collapsed-owing-2.6m

I've got so used to just living with bikes stacked everywhere in the flat, that I have no need for one of those things, but there must be quite the demand in many parts of London. Why spend hundreds of pounds on a metal machine and leave it outside in the rain, vulnerable to the elements and theft?
Why spend hundreds or possibly thousands on carpets and floors etc and bring a wet, muddy & greasy outdoor bike inside? ;)

I've got two young children so there's no way I could keep a bike in the house.

:D you'd be horrified if you saw our house.. bikes piled everywhere - they've just learned to walk around/squeeze past them.

I would prefer they weren't inside tbh but they're in such constant use - the kids' bikes too.

:D you'd be horrified if you saw our house.. bikes piled everywhere - they've just learned to walk around/squeeze past them.

I would prefer they weren't inside tbh but they're in such constant use - the kids' bikes too.
We're lucky to have a garage (which we don't keep the car in, of course!).

We're lucky to have a garage (which we don't keep the car in, of course!).

oh we have a shed with dedicated bicycle hangars in it.. they've got some of the bikes on them and we could put the rest out there really. In practice it just doesn't happen. I do recognise that other people are less rubbish than us.

Its someone called Eduval@lambeth.gov.uk (their name and phone number etc. is plastered over Lambeth posters advertising bike storage, so I don't think it's a wrong thing to share it). I've emailed asking for details - in fact before that locker thing arrived - but no response yet.

It's by Shakespeare Road by the way. So too far to be any use for me.

There is a rumour going around that hipsters are going to open a Sinclair C5 shop on Coldharbour Lane anyone know anything about this?

There is a rumour going around that hipsters are going to open a Sinclair C5 shop on Coldharbour Lane anyone know anything about this?

Is this a wind-up? I think that would be kinda stupid and fun. I reckon there is money to be made opening a cafe with old school C64 and Amiga gaming. We held an event a couple of years ago and the second room was some Super Mario Kart tournament. People went mad for it and took a way a fair bit of the bands' audience at times.

Is this a wind-up? I think that would be kinda stupid and fun. I reckon there is money to be made opening a cafe with old school C64 and Amiga gaming. We held an event a couple of years ago and the second room was some Super Mario Kart tournament. People went mad for it and took a way a fair bit of the bands' audience at times.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be. I support this new venture and would welcome C5's on our streets, given their limitations it would be truly local.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be. I support this new venture and would welcome C5's on our streets, given their limitations it would be truly local.

There's a generation of people that love nostalgia from the time when they were growing up. For instance, quite a few people drink Hooch when they see it stocked, not cos they are trying to be ironic or hipster but that it was probably one of the first underage drinks they had as a teen and it's kinda fun to revisit those days.

Not everything should be tarred with the hipster brush.

There's a generation of people that love nostalgia from the time when they were growing up. For instance, quite a few people drink Hooch when they see it stocked, not cos they are trying to be ironic or hipster but that it was probably one of the first underage drinks they had as a teen and it's kinda fun to revisit those days.

Not everything should be tarred with the hipster brush.

Yep, we won't let them do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom