Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure they are roughly the same.

Have had good service from the stall outside San Marino before. They replaced an iPhone screen for me in about half hour for £25 (iirc) and it lasted fine. Nice enough chaps too.
Screen or just the glass?
Could not find anyone in Brixton to do the glass on my S4. They all wanted to change the screen too but that was £150. Ended up sending it off via ebay and they repaired the glass for £50 (although don't think it was an equivalent glass). Then I sat on it and smashed the screen too :facepalm:.

Rushy said:
Could not find anyone in Brixton to do the glass on my S4. They all wanted to change the screen too but that was £150. Ended up sending it off via ebay and they repaired the glass for £50 (although don't think it was an equivalent glass). Then I sat on it and smashed the screen too :facepalm:.

May just have been the glass then? It was an older model I smashed.

Bilingual school in Lambeth been turned down. It would appear the DoE feels religious education is just what our children need to prepare themselves for their future, but languages are not :rolleyes:

BLPSP Update – May 2014

Sadly our application for a school in Brixton has not been successful. We are very disappointed and are waiting for feedback from the DfE. The BLPSP Trust will then consider whether we are able to prepare another application in time for the September round.

Meanwhile we would like to thank all the campaigners who have worked so hard on the Lambeth bid and contributed so much in the preparation for this application. In particular to Joelle Hernandez for all her tremendous commitment and support.
We look forward to updating you soon on how we move forward to ensure that we continue with our vision of bringing excellent bilingual education to Lambeth.

Please do continue to sign our petition as this is a continuous testament to the need for bilingual education in London for the future application.

Marina Gutierrez
Chair BLPSP Trust

A great example of "joined-up government", that, given that yesterday some twat at Cable's ministry was giving forth about how companies should hire foreign grads in order to facilitate moves into other markets, and to avoid commercial fauxs pas. :facepalm:

Glass, I sat on it and bullseyed it. So anyway I went down, the market guys wanted between £70-150 to do it, or said it was too complicated. I didn't get it done, will investigate online first.

Glass, I sat on it and bullseyed it. So anyway I went down, the market guys wanted between £70-150 to do it, or said it was too complicated. I didn't get it done, will investigate online first.
Just be sure you know what they are replacing it with. Mine was replaced with plastic instead of the gorilla glass. Which worked fine but was flexible - so it didn't crack when I sat on it but the screen did underneath. loads of services on ebay.

A great example of "joined-up government", that, given that yesterday some twat at Cable's ministry was giving forth about how companies should hire foreign grads in order to facilitate moves into other markets, and to avoid commercial fauxs pas. :facepalm:

I'd be interested to see what reasons are given for refusal (of this school).

Apparently the young boy stabbed was the son of the owner of Bombay Inn:( And he, the owner, is also not very well at the moment. Perhaps people want to show their support by supporting his business for a bit.

Apparently the young boy stabbed was the son of the owner of Bombay Inn:( And he, the owner, is also not very well at the moment. Perhaps people want to show their support by supporting his business for a bit.

oh no... this is awful!

eta.. obviously it is awful whoever it is..

Such a sad story. I feel so awful for his poor parents. He appears to have been a decent kid.

Good idea to support this family by putting some business their way. One positive thing we can do.

I will get some food off them on payday.

Can't remember if I mentioned it before, but Atlantis /Bar and Grill has been bought by Dogstar /Effra Social owners Antic, and changes will be made.

Can't remember if I mentioned it before, but Atlantis /Bar and Grill has been bought by Dogstar /Effra Social owners Antic, and changes will be made.

I can imagine that with the right management it could be a profitable location. Hasn't really succeeded by the looks of things since the Pangea pizza days. Will be interesting to see what they do with it, given the proximity to the Dogstar.

Old Bill are pulling vehicles over on Acre Lane, just before you go past Tesco as you leave Brixton towards Clapham.

Avoid if one of your headlights isn't working, or you've got brown-ish skin.

Be advised, if you are unfortunate enough to be visiting Brixton JobCentre, staff and management are in chaos implementing new rules regarding signing on. No prior notification of these changes has been issued to claimants. Frontline staff do not understand the new rules which went live in Brixton office yesterday afternoon with no notice/training provided to staff.
All JSA claimants not on the Work Programme will be required to sign on weekly, those that have completed the Work Programme are required to sign on daily. Claimants currently on the Work Programme are not affected by these changes.

On a broader perspective i have to check whether these changes are lawful. DWP changes the rules frequently without the need for primary legislation.

Last edited:
what a nightmare. I heard about the daily signing thing but it struck me as unworkable - for starters what if you have to pay to travel to sign, and won't it create huge congestion and workload at the JC... where is the thread on all the benefits changes?

I was having a clean out the other day and found a bulging folder of papers from when i was last signing - so many letters, arguments, and forms, i dread to think what it must be like to sign these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom