Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're still busy opening up new places - they're just about to open The Job Centre in Deptford. It will have a labour exchange 'theme' :hmm:

Apparently the young boy stabbed was the son of the owner of Bombay Inn:( And he, the owner, is also not very well at the moment. Perhaps people want to show their support by supporting his business for a bit.

Awful awful news. I eat in there regularly. Such a friendly guy.

Last edited:
Didn't they dump about half their properties?

IIRC they split the company into two, of which one was declared bankrupt. The same people then bought the properties from the receiver as rushy says.

It looks dodgy to me tbh but it seems you can get away with it.

Last edited:
I might have the time and energy to go out dancing this weekend, first time for a long time. I used to like Mango Landin' occasionally but.... so I need an alternative. I've heard that upstairs at the Coach and Horses / market house can be surprisingly good but whenever I go past the ground floor I feel rather nauseous. Is it better fri or Sat?

Was sorry to see Bombay Kitchen has closed. Never seemed to catch on did it? Is an Indian restaurant too dépassé for Brixton Central?
I think the problem was that they did a terrible job of decorating the place in comparison to the other restaurants in close proximity. The the furniture and decor items looked cheap, and worse still the hard tiling and white paint made the place feel cold and echoing. Being the only people in there (as was often the case) made the whole place reverberate to the sound of your conversation.

It's a shame, because they were very nice and the food was good. I spoke to one of their delivery people shortly after it had closed (it was a branch of another restaurant on Brixton Hill whose name I forget) and he said they weren't bringing in enough business to afford the rent. If they'd even ended up making it one of those typical Brick Lane-looking Indian restaurants (sort of a Tandoorified 1970s boozer look) I reckon it might have survived, because everyone's familiar with that style and it's comfortable to hang around in.

Why? Most pubs have daft names/themes
In my minds eye I saw it all full of braying toffs and guffawing posho yuppies drinking cocktails and laughing about how some people don't have jobs, like they do, even though they only got their jobs because daddy sorted one out for them where they get paid loads to do nothing except for going out for business lunches in Brixton eating cheese and wine.

But maybe it was just a moment of madness brought on by reading urban 75 too much. Sometimes I don't know what to think any more :(:confused:

Old Bill are pulling vehicles over on Acre Lane, just before you go past Tesco as you leave Brixton towards Clapham.

Avoid if one of your headlights isn't working, or you've got brown-ish skin.

They have either moved to Effra Road or there is more than one road block.
2014-05-08 14.37.37.jpg

In my minds eye I saw it all full of braying toffs and guffawing posho yuppies drinking cocktails and laughing about how some people don't have jobs, like they do, even though they only got their jobs because daddy sorted one out for them where they get paid loads to do nothing except for going out for business lunches in Brixton eating cheese and wine.

But maybe it was just a moment of madness brought on by reading urban 75 too much. Sometimes I don't know what to think any more :(:confused:

I agree with boycotting Antic (for other reasons). Now if we could have a list of every pub they are involved with.

I have mixed feeling about Antic. They're adept at legal financial shenanigans which involve bouncing back from bankruptcy more or less unscathed (and, presumably, with debtors left unpaid) and that's clearly not a good thing.

But on the other hand they're saving pubs that otherwise would almost certainly have been lost to flats etc., and some venues are quite generous with letting community groups use their facilities for free.

But on the other hand they're saving pubs that otherwise would almost certainly have been lost to flats etc., and some venues are quite generous with letting community groups use their facilities for free.

All true. And on the other hand they have blocked a pavement with a hoarding for three years - and refuse to remove it even after an enforcement order!

I have mixed feeling about Antic. They're adept at legal financial shenanigans which involve bouncing back from bankruptcy more or less unscathed (and, presumably, with debtors left unpaid) and that's clearly not a good thing.

I like their pubs. I think there are enough of them around here though. Variety is the spice, and all that...

Antic employs their bar staff on zero hours contracts. There have also been claims to Employment Tribunal for unpaid holiday pay, notice pay, etc. Antic have done their ' insolvent company' pose and refused to pay. And they abuse the proper meaning of the word when they refer to themselves as a collective.

Oh look. Another article about Brixton. Do you think it might possible mention the riots?

Gosh! It does!

From Riots and Rebels to Juice Bars and Tapas, a New Brixton Emerges
Oh look. Another article about Brixton. Do you think it might possible mention the riots?

Gosh! It does!

From Riots and Rebels to Juice Bars and Tapas, a New Brixton Emerges
The NY Times seems to have an ongoing interest in Brixton.
Brixton fashion a few months ago – http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/fashion/street-style-fashion-Brixton-London.html
Brixton market 2010 - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/travel/08headsup.html?_r=0

Going through some old stuff this week I found this article, discussing the impact of ‘development’ or ‘regeneration’ on Brixton, from the Sunday Times Magazine in 1989.
Developments included refurbishment of Woolworths, Rumbelows, Burtons and Freeman Hardy & Willis.
‘The council is adamant that any developments should directly benefit the local community’

I won’t post scans of the whole article - the paper’s bigger than my scanner bed, and rumpled, and re-sizing to post makes them illegible.

scan0001 (436x600).jpg

^ I've been wondering how it works with those...can you request one for your street?

We've done a consultation exercise in this street: questionnaires to gauge demand.

Had a lot of replies - so hopefully this will see us get one too.

Can PM you the contact details of who you need to speak to at Lambeth.

We've done a consultation exercise in this street: questionnaires to gauge demand.

Had a lot of replies - so hopefully this will see us get one too.

Can PM you the contact details of who you need to speak to at Lambeth.
Thanks - the likelihood of me doing anything proactive about it in the next few months is small but might well be interested in looking into it at some point.

It's a good idea - I don't have a bike in London at the moment and the main reason is that it's so hard to find somewhere to store it ... a very common situation in London houses/flats with narrow entrance halls and/or no gardens.

I've got so used to just living with bikes stacked everywhere in the flat, that I have no need for one of those things, but there must be quite the demand in many parts of London. Why spend hundreds of pounds on a metal machine and leave it outside in the rain, vulnerable to the elements and theft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom