Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd quite like to have an occasional fair weather daytime tennis knockabout if anyone fancies? I am probably fairly crap (and not being modest about it). I say probably because I can't even remember when or where I last played. I would be pleased to get to the standard where I can say, I'm quite crap, and not still surprise people with just how crap I am. I reckon I will usually be able to make contact between the ball and racket - I'm just never certain where it will go...

I'd quite like to have an occasional fair weather daytime tennis knockabout if anyone fancies? I am probably fairly crap (and not being modest about it). I say probably because I can't even remember when or where I last played. I would be pleased to get to the standard where I can say, I'm quite crap, and not still surprise people with just how crap I am. I reckon I will usually be able to make contact between the ball and racket - I'm just never certain where it will go...

I'll smash your balls all over the court.

Yeah, I tried that. Ended up in a Fusion like Sisyphus world of log-in screens.

I called that Brockwell no. and the bloke that answered was helpful, dug out my old Rec membership and then booked me a court in about 5 mins.

Even had Craig David on the radio in the background; which means by Thursday I'm fucked.

Yeah, I tried that. Ended up in a Fusion like Sisyphus world of log-in screens.

I called that Brockwell no. and the bloke that answered was helpful, dug out my old Rec membership and then booked me a court in about 5 mins.

Even had Craig David on the radio in the background; which means by Thursday I'm fucked.

True about the log-ins

Works OK as a smartphone app

This could be easily re-purposed into a game of bingo around the village and surrounding environs. Maybe Off The Cuff followed this guide?
Bm8bP1-CAAAnmXK.jpg

I went to this antiques shop turned byo pizza restaurant in Ireland last year. Lovely spot - and tiny. They weren't awfully precious about the stock. After a few bottles had been sunk the sales started...

Am surprised at the hostility toward bookmakers on here. Tell me more!!!
I've been using their services since I was legally too young to do so and have never developed a bad gambling habit. However what would make me perhaps gamble too much on shit like whether River Plate win or lose against General Belgrano is if I activated an app on my phone. Having a local office such as the one on Brixton Hill means I just place the occasional stake on something that's important.

Looks like the self-centred nu-residents moving right next to a lively music venue and then complaining like fuck about the noise phenomenon isn't only confined to Coldharbour Lane. I'll post up more depressing info about this when I can.
I checked with Lambeth today, no action has been taken against the Albert, so if they have reduced the hours it is through choice.

Bilingual school in Lambeth been turned down. It would appear the DoE feels religious education is just what our children need to prepare themselves for their future, but languages are not :rolleyes:

BLPSP Update – May 2014

Sadly our application for a school in Brixton has not been successful. We are very disappointed and are waiting for feedback from the DfE. The BLPSP Trust will then consider whether we are able to prepare another application in time for the September round.

Meanwhile we would like to thank all the campaigners who have worked so hard on the Lambeth bid and contributed so much in the preparation for this application. In particular to Joelle Hernandez for all her tremendous commitment and support.
We look forward to updating you soon on how we move forward to ensure that we continue with our vision of bringing excellent bilingual education to Lambeth.

Please do continue to sign our petition as this is a continuous testament to the need for bilingual education in London for the future application.

Marina Gutierrez
Chair BLPSP Trust

Bilingual school in Lambeth been turned down. It would appear the DoE feels religious education is just what our children need to prepare themselves for their future, but languages are not :rolleyes:

But would a bilingual school be quite separatist - drawing largely on one social group?

Or would it be as inclusive - and local - as a primary school?

But would a bilingual school be quite separatist - drawing largely on one social group?

Or would it be as inclusive - and local - as a primary school?
Anyone could attend- it was a state primary (academy, I assume, as they all are these days). There was no plan to select on the basis of nationality or already speaking Spanish, the aim was to offer focussed education so any child could develop bilingual skills, not just those who are lucky enough to have foreign parents. The model is quite common in Europe where children have English exposure from a young age. And it wouldn't select on the basis of the parents' willingness to genuflect regularly, so is a hell of a lot more inclusive than many!

Anyone could attend- it was a state primary (academy, I assume, as they all are these days). There was no plan to select on the basis of nationality or already speaking Spanish, the aim was to offer focussed education so any child could develop bilingual skills, not just those who are lucky enough to have foreign parents. The model is quite common in Europe where children have English exposure from a young age. And it wouldn't select on the basis of the parents' willingness to genuflect regularly, so is a hell of a lot more inclusive than many!

Agreed about genuflection - but I'd still be suspicious that it might become separatist in a faith school or worse way, with a dominant group.

My daughter, nine, claims to be learning Spanish at primary school.

Perhaps that is similar to the exposure model you cite.

Hullo all - am after suggestions on where I can get a Sony xperia screen replaced in brixton today? Are all the phone fixing shops much of a muchness?

wiskey said:
Hullo all - am after suggestions on where I can get a Sony xperia screen replaced in brixton today? Are all the phone fixing shops much of a muchness?

I am sure they are roughly the same.

Have had good service from the stall outside San Marino before. They replaced an iPhone screen for me in about half hour for £25 (iirc) and it lasted fine. Nice enough chaps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom