Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
The deals down Sandringham road were hilariously shit back in 1984. £5 for a piece of hash the size of a match.

Good grief man, get a grip, admit you were wrong and move on.

I'm not interested in spending my energy wondering about what I was thinking when I wrote a short (and now corrected) photo caption some time in the last decade, but given your curious fascination with ancient content posted off these boards, I remain baffled why you continue to completely ignore the contents of a 2,600 word in-depth article that was posted up around the same time.

As I said previously, I don't think any statement I have made contradicts that article.

If I could just ask you the question again:
So tell me -if my comment (in its entirity) is so outlandish and makes no sense - why did you still believe that the name The Frontline arose out of the Riots several years after moving to Brixton?

I went a few times but never quite got into that Return to the Source/Samsara thing. It was all a bit too fluffy for me.

I'll probably come down to the Source though as it's a mate that runs it.
I preferred samsara and yes they were a bit fluffy but still a good night out. Never saw any aggro at them just people trollied having fun.

Rushy & editor. Is this an argument about who is the "most" Brixton? If so I expect boohoo to turn up shortly and trump the pair of you.
It's actually rather weirder than that, but I've moved on to reminiscing about the fluro fluff of Escape to Samsara now. I went there a few times, but the cod-hippy-tosh-o-meter would often quickly hit critical levels.

I wonder if it inspired this song:

Rushy & editor. Is this an argument about who is the "most" Brixton? If so I expect boohoo to turn up shortly and trump the pair of you.

Nope - just keen not to be repeatedly misquoted by the mod.
I will leave the "who is more Brixton" argument to be argued by those who care about just how very Brixton they are perceived to be.

i used to live next door to the guy who sold the weed to the guys who sold it on the street corners on coldharbour lane. lovely fella, terrible weed. bought some off him a couple of times but it was awful stuff. the guys who sold it would adulterate it before selling it on. yuk.

i used to live next door to the guy who sold the weed to the guys who sold it on the street corners on coldharbour lane. lovely fella, terrible weed. bought some off him a couple of times but it was awful stuff. the guys who sold it would adulterate it before selling it on. yuk.
No matter how awful the stuff was, there still seemed to be no shortage of mugs ready and willing to hand over their cash on Coldharbour Lane.

I preferred samsara and yes they were a bit fluffy but still a good night out. Never saw any aggro at them just people trollied having fun.
I have some wonderful recollections of sitting around in a group of beautiful exciting, interesting new friends, in an elaborately decorated neon room listening to mind blowing tunes. And some not so good ones of suddenly realising I was sat on a sticky carpet in the foyer with mute gurning dribblers whilst someone swept up dead glow sticks and fag butts around me. Ahhh - the good old days!

No matter how awful the stuff was, there still seemed to be no shortage of mugs ready and willing to hand over their cash on Coldharbour Lane.

i guess very few of them did it twice!

i wonder if he's still going and if the acre lane lot get their stuff off him.

i guess very few of them did it twice!

i wonder if he's still going and if the acre lane lot get their stuff off him.
I remember seeing some posh twat being ripped off on coke deals outside the old Living Bah twice in under an hour! More money than sense, clearly.

The heavily graffitied disused building on the East side of the Herne Hill => Tulse Hill railway line opposite Brockwell Park near the Peabody estate is being quite carefully demolished.

From Herne Hill Station after the Peabody Estate there is a row of terraced houses and then this building. I saw last night that the first house in the row, at the other end, right next to the estate, had just been completely demolished by a big 360 digger. Perhaps the whole row is being demolished for more railway side flats, as is the current trend of filling in every last scrap of spare ground.

I've just received another PM stating that I cannot respond to his/her posts or refer to him/herin any way at all.

So, can't tell you, sorry. :(
Same gagging order as was applied to me a little while back, then. This is obviously becoming standard practice as a way of shutting up people who decide to disagree with the editor too much. We could discuss it on the feedback thread that I started but that was closed because it was "boring".

Meanwhile other folk seem happy to just let this behaviour carry on without question.

As for the "frontline" - I'm happy to admit that in my mind it's always been associated with the riots; I now know that was a bit of a misconception and that it was a term in use previously. I'll gladly conceed that the off licence was likely named after an area/era rather than as a reference to the riots themselves.

However, there's nothing unreasonable about Rushy's comment that the term became cemented in the wider consciousness during the riots, when some local politics became much more visible to the outside world. It seems a term that was used in other areas where there were racial/social tensions (some of which saw their own riots) and it's pretty obvious the the word itself refers to a location with ongoing conflict of one form or the other. So it's a nonsense to suggest there's no connection between the word "frontline" becoming used in areas experiencing a certain kind of conflict/tension and riots later breaking out in that same place as a result of those same tensions. It's so obvious that it's ridiculous I'm even sat here typing it out.

By the way I don't think it's been demonstrated at all that the Eddy Grant song was inspired by the Brixton frontline. There's nothing in the lyrics to connect it to Brixton and the fact that the term "frontline" was being used in other places suggests pretty strongly that it's most likely written about a general situation of which Brixton was just one instance. Of course it became connected to Brixton during the riots, as Brixton suddenly became much more visible at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom