Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howes Cash & Carry was where Kaff is now.

brixton-atlantic-road-archives-07.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/atlantic-road-brixton-archive-photos-from-2001/

DMX. and Michael Jackson.

Nostalgic.

What is Kaff anyway? Bar, cafe? both?

Reverse snobbery time: this afternoon I saw a group of some of the Sloaniest Sloaney bastards that I've ever seen coming out of the Lexadon construction site next to Bookmongers.​

When I was Listed Londoner on the Robert Elms Show (June 2000), I cited that pile of rubble/building site as my favourite shop in London: Brixton Cycles. Very shortly afterwards they re-located to their current premises. :(

When I was Listed Londoner on the Robert Elms Show (June 2000), I cited that pile of rubble/building site as my favourite shop in London: Brixton Cycles. Very shortly afterwards they re-located to their current premises. :(
Barney's new Loughborough Junction shop/cafe/repair centre should be open soon. Harbour Cycles, I think it's going to be called. It's a great location and surprisingly large.

Thank you it is a help.
I feel a bit weird turning up to a food bank with just loads tins of fish but right now, as in this point in time, we are really skint so can't really top it up.
Giving them to the flower lady might seem less awkward iyswim?
But would hate to just waste them, let them sit there till kingdom come.
Someone might like them. :hmm:

Maybe I'll wait til Badgers gets paid and add some more functional stuff.

Anyway, good to have options x

It really won't be awkward. I've done it and you just go in, give them the bag and off you go on your way. They don't give a detailed inspection of what's in it or anything.

Does anyone know of a recycling bank for clothes in the area?

There's one by Tescos I think, and there's also definitely one on the corner of St John's Crescent and Brixton Rd by Max Roach Park (I noticed it when I walked past the other day).

The Front Line had been called so by the reggae community for many years before both Grant's song and the riots. I have heard that a couple of well known singers/DJs who frequented Railton Rd in the 70's not only called it so, they also contributed greatly to its reputation and mentioned it in their lyrics.

The only one its not unwise to mention is notorious bad man Ranking Dread - http://snwmf.com/phorum/read.php?1,257513,257543

Where was the big off license on Atlantic road back then? My memory fails me. Where Kaff is now? I always remember it as Frontline off license.
The Lounge is where the "Grain Barn" was ( now called Brixton Wholefoods and moved across the road)
SarfLondoner
Not sure - but the picture below was in the Observer in 2011 apparently (30th anniversary of the original 1981 events) with the legend:

Police make their first move in Brixton, on 11 April 1981, arresting two young men. (Photograph: Neil Libbert for the Observer)

To me it looks as though the off licence they are in front off could easily have been called "Frontline Off Licence"

brixton-1981-riot-spark-007.jpg

I also recall a busy off licence with shebeen beneath on the corner where Atlantic Road ended and Railton and Mayall Roads forked. Can't right now remember the name of the place, but it was well busy in the late 1970s.

Last edited:
The Front Line had been called so by the reggae community for many years before both Grant's song and the riots. I have heard that a couple of well known singers/DJs who frequented Railton Rd in the 70's not only called it so, they also contributed greatly to its reputation and mentioned it in their lyrics.

The only one its not unwise to mention is notorious bad man Ranking Dread - http://snwmf.com/phorum/read.php?1,257513,257543

the connection was so strong that when Richard Branson Virgin outfit launched their ill-fated reggae imprint they chose to name it thus........

Tapper%20Zukie%20-%20She%20Want%20A%20Phensic%20(label).JPEG

IIRC there was a drag in Leeds also which was known to some as the "frontline" which had much in common with it's Brixton counterpart, suggesting that such locales were places where a state of being became solid.

Not sure - but the picture below was in the Observer in 2011 apparently (30th anniversary of the original 1981 events) with the legend:

Police make their first move in Brixton, on 11 April 1981, arresting two young men. (Photograph: Neil Libbert for the Observer)

To me it looks as though the off licence they are in front off could easily have been called "Frontline Off Licence"

View attachment 52735

I also recall a busy off licence with shebeen beneath on the corner where Atlantic Road ended and Railton and Mayall Roads forked. Can't right now remember the name of the place, but it was well busy in the late 1970s.

That's one of my favourite photo's of the time. So much going on in it. Even Ian Beale starring as a copper.

View attachment 52735

it was called the Front line off licence. I remember it well. It was quite hard work to walk up Railton Road at that time without getting loads of shit. Good opportunities to buy weed though.

the connection was so strong that when Richard Branson Virgin outfit launched their ill-fated reggae imprint they chose to name it thus........

Ill-fated? Never thought of it in that way, but yes, I suppose it was an attempt to jump on the punk/reggae love in band wagon so only lasted two years (1978-79).
The label put out 58 releases on 45 and over 40 LPs, many of which still hold up well though, including some rock stone classics:

twinklebros_jahovia_127684206.jpg

Ill-fated? Never thought of it in that way, but yes, I suppose it was an attempt to jump on the punk/reggae love in band wagon so only lasted two years (1978-79).
That was a crazy - and brilliant - moment in music, although Bob Marley got in early with this 1977 release.

So that settles the matter beyond dispute. The riot had nothing to do with the naming of the off licence or indeed the naming of the area.
You are the only one who seems to have ever asserted that the name The Frontline arose from the riots, to be fair. You have gone out of your way to prove that you were mistaken when you authoritatively made the statement and I applaud your efforts.

The most anyone else said was that the tensions which led to the road being known as the front line are the same tensions which led to the riots.
Yes it existed before but it's a bit far fetched to say, as you did, that the riot had nothing to do with the naming of the area. The riots cemented the name The Frontline in popular conscience. They are obviously very closely connected in popular conscience - as you well understand because you yourself clearly believed that the name came from the riots even long after you moved here.

ETA: there is nothing wrong with you having believed that. Lots of people did and still do.

That was a crazy - and brilliant - moment in music, although Bob Marley got in early with this 1977 release.

Yep, Marley was in England for 1977 & 1978 after he got shot. Spent a fair bit of time staying at the old 12 Tribes Of Israel Rasta temple in St Agnes Place.

Yes it existed before but it's a bit far fetched to say, as you did, that the riot had nothing to do with the naming of the area.
This really makes no sense at all. Locals called it the Frontline for years on end before the riot, a hit record celebrated it and even a shop was named after it. All way before the riots took place.

All this is documented and has been pointed out to you several times by different posters, so I've no idea why you're persisting with this bizarre claim.

*edited for clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom