Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a couple further up Railton Road.

brixton-feb08-04.jpg

I'm really glad I took these photos of old shop fronts because so many of them have gone already.

More here: http://www.urban75.org/brixton/photos/atlantic-road-2008.html

the old couple who ran this place were fucking wonderful. went in there most nights when i lived on shakespeare road. he was always perfectly turned out, bowler hat and cane, she was immaculate in a floral dress. they'd been there for more than 30 years she told me. i hope they got a good price for it when they retired.

Yep, Marley was in England for 1977 & 1978 after he got shot. Spent a fair bit of time staying at the old 12 Tribes Of Israel Rasta temple in St Agnes Place.
I'm still miffed that I didn't see him play Ninian Park in Cardiff. That said, I saw Ziggy Marley in Brixton a couple of days ago, and that turned out to be a very Bob-like experience. He even played a few of his dad's songs.

This really makes no sense at all. Locals called it the Frontline for years on end before the riot, a hit record celebrated it and even a shop was named after it.

The riot clearly had nothing to do with the naming of the area - or the off licence as you suggested earlier - because the area was already widely known as the Frontline, and had been for years on end.

All this is documented and has been pointed out to you several times by different posters, so I've no idea why you're persisting with this bizarre claim.

Nice bit of selective quoting there, editor. ;)

Ill-fated? Never thought of it in that way, but yes, I suppose it was an attempt to jump on the punk/reggae love in band wagon so only lasted two years (1978-79).
The label put out 58 releases on 45 and over 40 LPs, many of which still hold up well though, including some rock stone classics:
it was the short life span of the label that prompted my comment about it being ill-fated along with the fact that many purists at the time
were of the opinion that some releases on the label were lacking pressure and some sounded diluted compared to the original JA pressings.

So that settles the matter beyond dispute. The riot had nothing to do with the naming of the off licence or indeed the naming of the area.
It was one of a number of places referred to as "The Frontline" at the time. There was another Frontline up in Hackney that was Sandringham Road IIRC and another in Liverpool (Granby Street). These were places that black people could reasonably expect to be able to hang out without getting racist bullshit policing.

It was one of a number of places referred to as "The Frontline" at the time. There was another Frontline up in Hackney that was Sandringham Road IIRC and another in Liverpool (Granby Street). These were places that black people could reasonably expect to be able to hang out without getting racist bullshit policing.
i'm not sure it ever worked that way in hackney

I've now edited that one tiny, fifteen year old comment

You can tell it's fifteen years old by the Java applets. Brought back memories, figuring out how you made the slap the politician java applets as a kid was one of the reasons I got into computers and that.

This really makes no sense at all. Locals called it the Frontline for years on end before the riot, a hit record celebrated it and even a shop was named after it. All way before the riots took place.

All this is documented and has been pointed out to you several times by different posters, so I've no idea why you're persisting with this bizarre claim.

*edited for clarity

So tell me -if my comment (in its entirity) is so outlandish and makes no sense - why did you still believe that the name The Frontline arose out of the Riots several years after moving to Brixton?

So tell me -if my comment (in its entirity) is so outlandish and makes no sense - why did you still believe that the name The Frontline arose out of the Riots several years after moving to Brixton?
Good grief man, get a grip, admit you were wrong and move on.

I'm not interested in spending my energy wondering about what I was thinking when I wrote a short (and now corrected) photo caption some time in the last decade, but given your curious fascination with ancient content posted off these boards, I remain baffled why you continue to completely ignore the contents of a 2,600 word in-depth article that was posted up around the same time.

Just received a PM saying one of my posts on this thread contains 'inappropriate content' and I might be banned!

If anyone could shed any light on this claim I'd appreciate it. :)

And the Atlantic Road office has a For Rent sign on it - although those planning permission docs seems to imply that it was a done deal with a new restaurant?

Is that just lazy estate agents?

I will have some of that then,although i dont think i can dance like a nutter for 6 relentless hours anymore.
I went a few times but never quite got into that Return to the Source/Samsara thing. It was all a bit too fluffy for me.

I'll probably come down to the Source though as it's a mate that runs it.

the connection was so strong that when Richard Branson Virgin outfit launched their ill-fated reggae imprint they chose to name it thus........

Tapper%20Zukie%20-%20She%20Want%20A%20Phensic%20(label).JPEG

IIRC there was a drag in Leeds also which was known to some as the "frontline" which had much in common with it's Brixton counterpart, suggesting that such locales were places where a state of being became solid.
Sandringham Road in Hackney was also called the frontline, and was known as a place to go to get weed in the late '70s to early '80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom