Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D. Its your avatar that got me thinking about Austraila,Am i right or just mad?
I was looking for this

Frill-neck_lizard_road_sign.jpg

but stumbled across my truer likeness.

So the name "frontline" has nothing to do with any of the tensions that were significant in the outbreak of the riots. I am waiting with much interest to hear more on this theory.

I've now edited that one tiny, fifteen year old comment,
You were authoritatively spouting shit though, weren't you, without a faintest clue what you were talking about. I wonder what else you will be editing in 15yrs time.

but I'm curious why you continue to ignore the contents of the in-depth article on the riots which makes the point about the historic naming of the area very clear indeed. though. Why is that?
I haven't ignored it. I just don't understand why you keep referencing it. I have not contradicted it.

Your comments are still utter nonsense though:
You what?
Did you really not understand that sentence. Seriously? Is it that tricky for you? Fair enough then.

Apart from the hit record popularly seen as celebrating the area two years previously, you mean, not that it has anything to do with the half-baked point being made.
If you don't think the riots were largely responsible for cementing the name in popular conscience - what is your excuse for claiming the riots were the origins of the name Frontline 15 years ago? Why did you not mention Eddy Grant's 1979 hit of the same name? (It was before the riots, you know.)

Nope.

It's all been cleared up- Rushy was talking 'utter nonsense'. Why are you still banging on about it?

I was just a bit muddled I suppose. Now I can see that Rushy's statement was completely outlandish and the name probably was just a big coincidence and dates back to the 19th century when the area was developed by a landowner called Lord Frontline, perhaps.

Reactions: ash
You were authoritatively spouting shit though, weren't you, without a faintest clue what you were talking about. I wonder what else you will be editing in 15yrs time.
Isn't that exactly what you're doing now? Why yes, it is!

Not sure why you think a one line caption to a 15 year old photo panorama is so important either. I guess that's all you've got.

Isn't that exactly what you're doing now? Why yes, it is!

Not sure why you think a one line caption to a 15 year old photo panorama is so important either. I guess that's all you've got.
Which bit of what I spouted was shit, Ed? Specifically.

And why do you keep claiming it was 15yrs ago that you posted the comment?

Which bit of what I spouted was shit, Ed? Specifically.

And why do you keep claiming it was 15yrs ago that you posted the comment?
I'll let other people make up their own minds about your strange claims here, and I'll also let them make up their minds about your strange, obsessive behaviour in searching out a one line comment written on a totally different part of the site so long ago I can't even remember writing it.

It's weird and stalky if you ask me. Either way, I have no interest in engaging you further.

Im just reminding you of your orignal post.It's since been established and proved that "The Frontline" was the frontline quite some time before the riots.It was notoriously known as that in the seventies let alone the eighties to anyone that smoked a bit of grass. It wasn't called the frontline because that's where some of the rioting took place. Im surprised you havn't implicated the house of bottles in your argument due to the amount of petrol bombs that were used.

I'll let other people make up their own minds about your strange claims here, and I'll also let them make up their minds about your strange, obsessive behaviour in searching out a one line comment written on a totally different part of the site so long ago I can't even remember writing it.

It's weird and stalky if you ask me. Either way, I have no interest in engaging you further.
I googled "The Frontline Brixton". Your comment was fifth on the first page of results. Try it for yourself here. Not really all that obsessive, is it?

Im just reminding you of your orignal post.It's since been established and proved that "The Frontline" was the frontline quite some time before the riots.It was notoriously known as that in the seventies let alone the eighties to anyone that smoked a bit of grass. It wasn't called the frontline because that's where some of the rioting took place. Im surprised you havn't implicated the house of bottles in your argument due to the amount of petrol bombs that were used.
The Brixton Fairies were referring to it as the Frontline back in the seventies too.

If you are referring to me (maaaate) - my first comment was:
The tensions which led to the road being known as the front line are the same tensions which led to the riots.
The riots cemented the name The Frontline in popular conscience. Yes it existed before but it's a bit far fetched to say that the riot had nothing to do with the naming of the area.
Yeah - people in London who smoke weed. Yeah - a few people who actually knew what Eddie Grant was singing about (I didn't have a clue - I lived in rural Spain in 79). But the riots made the name well known across the country. So much so that Ed, like so may others, thought that's where the name came from.

I googled "The Frontline Brixton". Your comment was fifth on the first page of results. Try it for yourself here. Not really all that obsessive, is it?
That is true.
So the name "frontline" has nothing to do with any of the tensions that were significant in the outbreak of the riots. I am waiting with much interest to hear more on this theory.
He recorded that tune in Australia for his own label,Ice records.I agree it has a fantastic Bass line and shock many a wall at the blues parties i attended in my youth.
Please allow me to interject here. I myself recall the sensation created by the Eddy Grant number - I had recently moved to Brixton and worked at Grundig in Penge, with other engineers local to Brixton. We all thought the song was a hoot, as we identified Atlantic Road (Brixton & Bangladesh Wholefoods/Record emporium) through to Railton Road as far as the George pub as the Front Line in Feb 1979.
As a concession to my OCD I just got out my Eddy Grant video cassette, but unfortunately the narrative link gives no clue as to what Eddy Grant thought the Front Line was in his song. He just said the bass riff was very strident so he made the video more amusing. For the record Eddy Grant days that Electric Avenue in his song refers to Bridgetown Barbados (does not mention Brixton at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom