Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
i used to go in the Front Line most days when I lived on Kellett Road. lovely bunch of people. did they sell up or have they been forced out, do you know?

I know we don't like businesses using the riots for branding purposes around here, so I presume the closure of Front Line will be welcomed.

i used to go in the Front Line most days when I lived on Kellett Road. lovely bunch of people. did they sell up or have they been forced out, do you know?
I'm guessing it'll be the usual end of lease/massively hiked renewal option combo. It was a good store. Shame to see it go.

For a moment the sun came out and all were sing and dancing, rocking down to Electric Avenue, then the rain came and it got me.
Yeah, oh yeah. Mmm, oh yeah. Mmm, alright. Oh you got me, raining on the front line. Oh you got me mama, raining on the front line.

I know we don't like businesses using the riots for branding purposes around here, so I presume the closure of Front Line will be welcomed.

the current name is/was atlantic wines

Another restaurant coming to Atlantic Road. Goodbye the old Front Line off licence (and, presumably, the rehearsal studio below).
http://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/documents/s64696/04_61 Atlantic Road 14.00692.FUL.pdf

the planning document says "mixed use restaurant/takeaway" which could mean something like a burger king or a kebab shop.
I didnt use this shop often but it was an annual stop-off for me on the way back from the fireworks for a Dragon stout to keep me company til i reached home/pub

Ok. We should turn our wrath on the people who continue to call it by the riot-branding name, thus perpetuatiing outdated Brixton cliches, rather than the business itself.
There's a difference between members of the community using a title that has it's roots in folk history and business enterprise with no connection using it to promote their brand.

This local source seems to suggest that Atlantic Road was known as the 'Frontline' after its central role in the 1981 Brixton Riots. I wouldn't believe everything you read on t'internet though.

The tensions which led to the road being known as the front line are the same tensions which led to the riots.
The riots cemented the name The Frontline in popular conscience. Yes it existed before but it's a bit far fetched to say that the riot had nothing to do with the naming of the area.

I wonder whether the shop would have been called The Fronline if the riots had never occurred?

The riots cemented the name The Frontline in popular conscience. Yes it existed before but it's a bit far fetched to say that the riot had nothing to do with the naming of the area.
No, you're wrong. It was commonly known locally as the frontline BEFORE the riots. The riots just made the name more widely known. Talk to any long time local and they'll tell you this, along with the reasons why it got its popular nickname.
Have a look on wiki or something im not explaining on here,Nor am i going to get into a slanging match over something i know to be fact.
This archive article makes that point abundantly clear.
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/riot.html

Foodbanks.
A. Are you allowed to just randomly donate stuff to them at the premises they work from? Or does it have to be through a scheme?

B. If you can just donate to them, where are there some in Brixton please?

Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom