Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foodbanks.
A. Are you allowed to just randomly donate stuff to them at the premises they work from? Or does it have to be through a scheme?

B. If you can just donate to them, where are there some in Brixton please?

Thank you :)

They usually have sessions where you can turn up and donate. The nearest one to you is probably the church on Ferndale Rd but I may be wrong. List below:

http://norwoodbrixton.foodbank.org.uk/get-involved

I think their donation sessions are Tuesday and Friday. If it's outside those times, Nour will donate if you buy it there as do Tesco (*spit*). Bear in mind they only take non perishables.

They usually have sessions where you can turn up and donate. The nearest one to you is probably the church on Ferndale Rd but I may be wrong. List below:

http://norwoodbrixton.foodbank.org.uk/get-involved

I think their donation sessions are Tuesday and Friday. If it's outside those times, Nour will donate if you buy it there as do Tesco (*spit*). Bear in mind they only take non perishables.

Thanks. As above I have a load of cans (been sorting out cupboards) that I don't want.
Didn't really know what else to do with them.
My mum went mad on buying my tinned salmon :rolleyes:

No, you're wrong. It was commonly known locally as the frontline BEFORE the riots. The riots just made the name more widely known. Talk to any long time local and they'll tell you this, along with the reasons why it got its popular nickname.
:confused: I said the riots cemented the name in popular conscience. You say I'm wrong, the riots just made the name more widely known?

This archive article makes that point abundantly clear.
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/riot.html
The local source I was referring to (tongue in cheek) was your own feature about the naming of the area, in which you state "Once known as the 'Frontline' after its central role in the 1981 Brixton Riots, Atlantic/Railton Road has undergone a transformation" article.

Last edited:
I said the riots cemented the name in popular conscience.
No idea what that's supposed to mean, but the bit which you've just edited out of your quote was this baffling statement, "Yes it existed before but it's a bit far fetched to say that the riot had nothing to do with the naming of the area."

That doesn't make sense. The riot clearly had nothing to do with the naming of the area because it was already called the Frontline!

Foodbanks.
A. Are you allowed to just randomly donate stuff to them at the premises they work from? Or does it have to be through a scheme?

B. If you can just donate to them, where are there some in Brixton please?

Thank you :)

Not sure if it's any good for you, but I donate via Elaine the Flower Lady by Herne Hill station.

Not sure if it's any good for you, but I donate via Elaine the Flower Lady by Herne Hill station.

Thank you it is a help.
I feel a bit weird turning up to a food bank with just loads tins of fish but right now, as in this point in time, we are really skint so can't really top it up.
Giving them to the flower lady might seem less awkward iyswim?
But would hate to just waste them, let them sit there till kingdom come.
Someone might like them. :hmm:

Maybe I'll wait til Badgers gets paid and add some more functional stuff.

Anyway, good to have options x

Thank you it is a help.
I feel a bit weird turning up to a food bank with just loads tins of fish but right now, as in this point in time, we are really skint so can't really top it up.
Giving them to the flower lady might seem less awkward iyswim?
But would hate to just waste them, let them sit there till kingdom come.
Someone might like them. :hmm:

Maybe I'll wait til Badgers gets paid and add some more functional stuff.

Anyway, good to have options x
bet the foodbank would be delighted with tins of fish - really useful and tasty

yes, and mr grant was using the folk history of the neighbourhood as inspiration so the local vernacular usage is probably even earlier......

uh-huh

Brixton Buzz said:
Although, it was never written about Brixton (and preceeded the riots by two years) Eddy’s 1979 single ‘Living on the Front Line’ (video below) was adopted by residents of Brixton and sung as a protest song in the riots of 1981.

No idea what that's supposed to mean, but the bit which you've just edited out of your quote was this baffling statement, "Yes it existed before but it's a bit far fetched to say that the riot had nothing to do with the naming of the area."

That doesn't make sense. The riot clearly had nothing to do with the naming of the area because it was already called the Frontline!

I'll just take the liberty of quoting you again from your archive of street photos:
"Once known as the 'Frontline' after its central role in the 1981 Brixton Riots, Atlantic/Railton Road has undergone a transformation"

And then again from you:
The riot clearly had nothing to do with the naming of the area.

You may be comfortable indignantly flip flopping from one extreme to the other. I am happy to stick with what I said:
The tensions which led to the road being known as the front line are the same tensions which led to the riots.
The riots cemented the name The Frontline in popular conscience. Yes it existed before but it's a bit far fetched to say that the riot had nothing to do with the naming of the area.

This local source seems to suggest that Atlantic Road was known as the 'Frontline' after its central role in the 1981 Brixton Riots. I wouldn't believe everything you read on t'internet though.

The tensions which led to the road being known as the front line are the same tensions which led to the riots.
The riots cemented the name The Frontline in popular conscience. Yes it existed before but it's a bit far fetched to say that the riot had nothing to do with the naming of the area.

I wonder whether the shop would have been called The Fronline if the riots had never occurred?

Great tune from1979,,,

Yep - as I mentioned last month I think, one of my favourite bass lines.
He recorded that tune in Australia for his own label,Ice records.I agree it has a fantastic Bass line and shock many a wall at the blues parties i attended in my youth.

I'll just take the liberty of quoting you again from your archive of street photos:
I've now edited that one tiny, fifteen year old comment, but I'm curious why you continue to ignore the contents of the in-depth article on the riots which makes the point about the historic naming of the area very clear indeed. though. Why is that?

Your comments are still utter nonsense though:
You what?
The riots cemented the name The Frontline in popular conscience.
Apart from the hit record popularly seen as celebrating the area two years previously, you mean, not that it has anything to do with the half-baked point being made.
I wonder whether the shop would have been called The Fronline if the riots had never occurred?
I see no reason why not given that it's been known under then name locally for a long time. Even before the riots!

He recorded that tune in Australia for his own label,Ice records.I agree it has a fantastic Bass line and shock many a wall at the blues parties i attended in my youth.
I didn't know about it being recorded in Australia. Makes it even better for me!
It's just such a fucking dirty noise. Me and my old mate, god rest his soul, used to sit his bedroom blasting the 12" before heading off to a party.
(And no - blasting the 12" is not a euphamism).

After the riots there was an attempt to recreate the frontline on Acre lane but to no avail, and again on Landor road but with the same outcome.

I didn't know about it being recorded in Australia. Makes it even better for me!
It's just such a fucking dirty noise. Me and my old mate, god rest his soul, used to sit his bedroom blasting the 12" before heading off to a party.
(And no - blasting the 12" is not a euphamism).
:D. I wasn't sure but presumed you are Australian thats why i put that bit of info in for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom