Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
All those dials to monitor...

battersea-power-station_067.jpg

This.

And I'm never going to post on here under the condition that I'm not allowed to question the guy who pulls the levers.

i don;t want you to not question editor, i just don't want you to drag stupid point-scoring pedantic arguments across pages and pages of threads because it's crap for all the rest of us. that's fucking selfish and childish. i tried to appeal to your good nature, but it turns out you don't have one so i'm going to put you back on ignore. you have a nice day now.

Anyway, I've got a great old school reggae band playing the Albert tonight, if anyone fancies a bit of drinking and dancing. They're onstage at 11.30.

Generally, I think the editor should rise above such arguments and adopt a magisterial stance.

There's that but in the meantime I have put the three pedants on ignore to see if this thread actually becomes readable again. However I think it'll still get clogged up by editor quoting them in replies.

FYI: This site is run by a team of moderators, not just me. None of us can arbitrarily make important decisions about the boards and it's not unusual for individual mods to be regularly over-ridden (as has happened to me many times).

If you have any actual, valid points to make about the moderation of these boards (rather then your usual baiting and cross thread beefage), then you are absolutely free to bring it to their attention.

I started the thread asking if we could define what "personal attacks" (seeing as that is what I and others keep getting accused of) are so that we can agree what is and isn't ok, and then all try and stick to the same rules, but you refused to engage with that, no other mods seemed interested in doing so either, and then another mod closed the thread. What more can I do?

I did see that review, yes. And it kicked me up the arse to start the reservation process. I went to the Downview one ages so, so curious to see how it compares..

This weather can fucking do one, though.

Last edited:
I think i'll give the night market a miss with the weather as it is. Pie and fries indoors and a few beers. Going to put the central heating on as well. Yes, i know how to enjoy myself. There is still life in the old dog yet!

I think i'll give the night market a miss with the weather as it is. Pie and fries indoors and a few beers. Going to put the central heating on as well. Yes, i know how to enjoy myself. There is still life in the old dog yet!
I had forgotten that was on. And I was just thinking about dinner plans...

You were authoritatively spouting shit though, weren't you, without a faintest clue what you were talking about. I wonder what else you will be editing in 15yrs time.

I haven't ignored it. I just don't understand why you keep referencing it. I have not contradicted it.

Did you really not understand that sentence. Seriously? Is it that tricky for you? Fair enough then.

If you don't think the riots were largely responsible for cementing the name in popular conscience - what is your excuse for claiming the riots were the origins of the name Frontline 15 years ago? Why did you not mention Eddy Grant's 1979 hit of the same name? (It was before the riots, you know.)

"Consciousness", FFS!!! "Conscience" is something entirely different!

Don't you fancy a pint with some urbs up at beer rebellion tonight? its right on the 322 bus route.
I'll try not to blame Thatcher for everything, just must things.

I went to the Colombian restaurant in the 'village' last night and it was immense. Absolutely gorgeous. Main meals, too big to finish, for £12. I recommend it to anyone who'll take the opinion of a stranger on the internet who hasn't been out to dinner in the previous 8 months.

From Herne Hill Station after the Peabody Estate there is a row of terraced houses and then this building. I saw last night that the first house in the row, at the other end, right next to the estate, had just been completely demolished by a big 360 digger. Perhaps the whole row is being demolished for more railway side flats, as is the current trend of filling in every last scrap of spare ground.
Just been past it now and it is all gone. They must be reassembling it somewhere else. Or else it has asbestos and they have to take it apart carefully.

I've heard quite a few stories about how some families would take substantial detours rather than risk walking down that stretch of road (known locally as The Frontline) in the 1970s.

Around the time the Scarman Report was released, and there was a lot of "analysis" flying around, the SLP ventured that it had been known as "the frontline by "local black youth" since the early '70s because it was the part of Brixton where the Old Bill were most likely to go in mob-handed (on the excuse of tackling dope-dealing), and so was most likely to (as it did in dozens of minor incidents) "kick off". Elsewhere the OB mostly did the old SUS "3 coppers surrounding one youth" routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom