Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some good nights at the Plough/Plug. I liked the fact that the old boys refused to budge when it got trendily rebranded and steadfastly sat in their same seats.

The Prince Albert, like you have never seen it before.

064 1.jpg
Yes, the one in Whitstable - worst watering hole i visited and i visited most of them

Glad to be home in sunny Brixton, kitchen was flooded with a backsurge of upstairs dirty sink water. Still, musn't grumble.

Bet they'd be a bit put out if someone decided that their "Imperial Kenya"-themed celebration needed a couple of hundred members of Mau Mau chasing them down, to liven things up!
"C'mon, you want the full colonial expereience, don't you?".

Reminds me of a little known film by the director of The Battle of Algiers about a slave revolt on a Caribbean island. Perhaps they could show that as part of there "Colonial" experience.

Its worth a look. Found it on

He's there often. The week before Xmas I thought someone had dropped a bag of bank notes on the floor the scrum there was around him and people waving notes in the air!!!

This used to happen in Oxford street.

The "scrum" are part of the act. They pretend to be enthusiastically buying the goods. But they are not really. Its to get the ordinary punters interested.

The "scrum" are part of the act. They pretend to be enthusiastically buying the goods. But they are not really. Its to get the ordinary punters interested.
Yeh I've seen that b4 in Oxford street but the Brixton lot didn't see like scammers they pretty much represented the demographic of brixton with the odd red herring such as a traffic warden. It didn't feel the same as the operatic note waving you used to see inthe west end. I agree with Greebo it seemed more desperate than that. Also the guy selling wasn't smooth like the blokes on the west end used to be. Have you seen him in action ??

I do remember that lot on Oxford St in the 70's. My family lived out of London and my Dad delighted in the perfume and jewels purchased for a bargain. I enjoyed the Panto of it but looking back the tack he bought ....
funny but sad really : )

Last edited:
Anyone remember the Plug (previously known as the Plough I think, until some letters fell off) on Stockwell Rd?

It's been sitting disused for ages, now up for sale as office space.

View attachment 52477

:(

It needs to be used for something - it's been empty for so long. I liked the Plough = in fact this was the local pub I used and the Old White Horse. I also went to some of the nights when it was the plug. Miss both of those pubs as they were.

Also checked up on the Beehive pub in Stockwell and it seems to be still there. (Was rumours of it being turned into flats). The site of the Brewery Tap has been turned into flats finally.

Have you been on an Easter pub crawl?

Last week I escaped the small child to drink cocktails at Cafe Cairo (getting round to christmas drinks with one of my friends :D) and took a detour to check whether the pub was still there.

St Andrews church is falling apart - it's the second oldest church in Lambeth - built around 1767 - can't see it getting repaired. I get the feeling that one of the two old churches in Stockwell will eventually get turned into flats...

Last week I escaped the small child to drink cocktails at Cafe Cairo (getting round to christmas drinks with one of my friends :D) and took a detour to check whether the pub was still there.

St Andrews church is falling apart - it's the second oldest church in Lambeth - built around 1767 - can't see it getting repaired. I get the feeling that one of the two old churches in Stockwell will eventually get turned into flats...

It's what Jesus would have wanted. He didn't need a pub, turning water into wine with a stroke of his beard.

I've been reading up a bit of Stockwell local history (again). When the land of the manor was being divided and sold off, a Benjamin Robsertson acquired some of it (probably the site of Stockwell Park Road and Stockwell Park Cresent). When he died, his will asked for the land to be turned into botanical gardens, however his will was contested and over turned. Eventually his heir sold the land to be developed into housing. Robertson built the houses which are by the YMCA between 1781-1788.

Have you been on an Easter pub crawl?

Did a Crown & Anchor, Grosvenor and Lorne crawl. All pretty quiet on the Saturday afternoon. Excellent beers in first two. None in third.
6u3adene.jpg

This, yesterday, was the Hope Poles of Upper Tulse Hill.

I've been reading up a bit of Stockwell local history (again). When the land of the manor was being divided and sold off, a Benjamin Robsertson acquired some of it (probably the site of Stockwell Park Road and Stockwell Park Cresent). When he died, his will asked for the land to be turned into botanical gardens, however his will was contested and over turned. Eventually his heir sold the land to be developed into housing. Robertson built the houses which are by the YMCA between 1781-1788.

So Robsart (street) is a corruption of Robsertson?

St Andrews church is falling apart - it's the second oldest church in Lambeth - built around 1767 - can't see it getting repaired.
standrews.jpg

Have to say, I've always thought that building's a bit of an eyesore.

Didn't know it was so old but reading up on it just now it seems it's been fairly drastically remodelled several times in its history.

standrews.jpg

Didn't know it was so old but reading up on it just now it seems it's been fairly drastically remodelled several times in its history.

Yes -it's not my favourite exterior - it's a shame the Victorian's wrecked it. I would be interested in having a look inside.

Yeh I've seen that b4 in Oxford street but the Brixton lot didn't see like scammers they pretty much represented the demographic of brixton with the odd red herring such as a traffic warden. It didn't feel the same as the operatic note waving you used to see inthe west end. I agree with Greebo it seemed more desperate than that. Also the guy selling wasn't smooth like the blokes on the west end used to be. Have you seen him in action ??

No I haven't.

Iceland are tolerant of people outside their shop. The incense guy is outside a lot. Also see a steel band outside every now and then

People recently arrested someone looking through Iceland bins for food thrown away in Camden. The CEO of Iceland publicly told the police to back off.

As supermarkets go its one of the better ones.

Anyone remember the Plug (previously known as the Plough I think, until some letters fell off) on Stockwell Rd?

It's been sitting disused for ages, now up for sale as office space.

View attachment 52477

:(
Yeah the Plug was alright, had some good nights in there. It was a bit like the Dogstar - they let you in free, stayed open late and had music/DJs/dancing etc. Must have been closed & empty since about 2001. I don't even think it was even ever squatted either. There are flats upstairs and next door, so no chance of it ever being a pub again.

Yes, it was the Plough, then relaunched as the Plug. I went to a few nights there. I have a memory that its reputation was of somewhere you could go to score smack.
Well, the Brixton smack clinic is actually right next door, but I don't think it was there 15 years ago when the Plug was open.

standrews.jpg

Nice pic. It must have looked good back in the day. Just looks pretty awful now. Really dirty. I think the roof is fucked as well, as they appear to be have been attempting some repairs. You never see anyone coming in/out either, apart from on Sundays. Might try to go inside and have a look - thanks for the suggestion boohoo :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom