Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a chemist open locally? Ideally near Myatts Fields but anywhere?

I would have thought the chemist on Vassall Road should be open, alternatively Tesco in Kennington and Superdrug in Camberwell (probably the one next to McDonalds too)

Need a chemist not a supermarket as it is a specific cough medicine. Good thinking on Vassal Road, not far from here.

Alright all,

I bumped into Mr Cheese and Wine Bar fella last night and he will be along to have a chat. be nice.
Did you ask him lots of pertinent questions? like are the old flotsam and jetsam of HH welcome? or only people who have a £100 quids to spare?

Just about the only things reliably closed in central Brixton on today's bank holiday were the banks. It was business as usual really.

Just about the only things reliably closed in central Brixton on today's bank holiday were the banks. It was business as usual really.

Same here in sunny Whitstable, even the artisan cheese shop which has been closed all week was doing a roaring trade. Good work everyone i have been able to keep abreast of events in Brixton. All of my portable tech still works.

Greebo said:
It's possible that Manter didn't need to know before.

Yeah. I am not having a go. Just assumed that everyone who has lived in the UK for any length of time knows that Post Office, doctors, council offices and such institutions are closed on public holidays?

Loads of stupid people buying piss perfume from a dodgy bloke outside iceland this morning. Why do they fall for it? :confused::hmm::facepalm:

I was wrong about it being a new cafe opening up opposite the Albert. Turns out it's an "indie craft" shop.

This is what's opening up on Coldharbour Lane. A 'designer hub.'

the-turpentine-craft-brixton-3.jpg

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/04/...ft-and-designer-hub-coldharbour-lane-brixton/

He's there often. The week before Xmas I thought someone had dropped a bag of bank notes on the floor the scrum there was around him and people waving notes in the air!!!
Because nearly everybody is skint, naive, and desperate to get a nice present at the last minute once in their lives.

The former are the kind that just mean you're quoting what somebody else said, the latter are the kind that are usually accompanied with the "air quotes" gesture and a different tone of voice. It's hard to tell on the screen if you're being sarcastic or not.

The former are the kind that just mean you're quoting what somebody else said, the latter are the kind that are usually accompanied with the "air quotes" gesture and a different tone of voice. It's hard to tell on the screen if you're being sarcastic or not.
I'm just quoting from their website - that's how they describe themselves.

I popped in and said hello to them after and suggested that they post up news of their opening on the Noticeboard forum.

How much people spend on a night out is irrelevant here.
It's the Colonial theme that's the issue.

Yes I realise that’s what u mean.

Quote from there FB page: "The Colonial Dining Experience"

The night will merge the best of British and Bajan culture in a fun themed night that will be all about aristocracy and decadence in a fun laid back style.

Unlike traditional supper clubs, the Colonial Dining Experience is set to be just that, an experience. The Hill Top Café will be transformed into a mock colonial dining room and guests will be encouraged to join in with the theme.

“You can't talk about Caribbean food without talking about colonialism and this is a celebration of how England and Barbados have interlinked to produce some of the tastiest dishes you can find. We will be experimenting with the aesthetics of the era and I am looking forward to exciting people with my menu.

Speaking about the event Tristan Scutt, owner of Little Nan's Bar said:

“My little nan used to love holidaying in Barbados and always packed her best bone china tea set in her travel case so she could enjoy a sneaky rum cocktail on the beach
Where do I start?

How about a slavery theme? Thats all part of the Caribbean experience.

The Colonial experience was based on invasion of the Caribbean islands. The decimation of the indigenous population and the the importation of slaves from Africa. This enriched a section of the English class who on the backs of slavery could lead a life of decadence.

"The Colonial Experience" is rewriting history as though this was an equal interlinking of different cultures.

I could go on. Its not the amount it costs but the crass theme that turns aristocratic "aesthetics" into harmless fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom