Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
No chance they will be open

There’s also no post collection or delivery on bank holidays. Think of bank holidays in the same way you’d think of post on a Sunday. If you sent an item by Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed™ Next Day on a bank holiday Saturday, it wouldn’t be delivered until the following Tuesday.

Yep. Closed tomorrow, open on Sat., closed on Sunday and Monday I'm sure. In effect, anything posted today is unlikely to reach its destination before Tuesday, though I guess some first class items might be delivered on Saturday.

It's 2014 and despite the blatherings of our idiot prime minister we aren't a Christian country. Grump.

Our blathering Prime Minister this week....

David Cameron has declared himself an "evangelical" about his Christian faith as he criticised some non-believers for failing to grasp the role that religion can have in "helping people to have a moral code".

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/16/david-cameron-evangelical-about-christian-faith

Anyone know when the post offices are open tomorrow? The RM website has nothing about Easter opening hours- do they really work a normal Friday?!
Just back from post office on Brixton Hill. Notice in window confirming closed tomorrow, as one might expect.

I heard some smug religious type talking on the Today programme this morning. He saluted 'Our Prime Minister' for saying that christianity is the foundation of moral behaviour. Not religion, mind you, no, or even decency as a human being. And Christians do most of the charitable work in this country 'actually', apparently. What basis he has for this, I don't know, but he rolled out the old trope about 'militant atheism' :rolleyes:. I've never seen Richard Dawkins running around with a gun wibbling about the end times and stockpiling loo roll….

<<ahem>> and breathe

does anyone know what the disturbance was at the prison last night, about 10.30. apparently there were loads of police vans and some "HGV ambulances" outside?

Naughty boy :D

lexadon-coldharbour-lane-1.jpg

Upmarket development at 435 Coldharbour Lane, Brixton gets unexpected visitor

They also do rail engineering work on a Good Friday and Palm Monday or whatever it is called. Turning a ninety minute journey into a four hour one. :mad:

Oh no, the moneyed twats who are invading Brixton with shops like Champagne & From age are getting into other areas too:
https://m.facebook.com/events/470535693046522/
(I know it's not Brixton related, but I think it's important for you Brixton people to know you're not alone in being colonised by the moneyed)
That one sounds particularly awful - and it's even more pricey than than the Edwardian dandy nonsense that was put on at the Angel.

It's certainly true that until the moneyed twats started invading about 3 years ago, it would be unheard of for anyone living in Brixton to spend £50 on a night out.

[cue predictable responses saying this is a predictable response, etc etc]

Apparently these sort of parties are quite common amongst poshos.
They have White Mischief themed parties FFS!

I went in the Duke of Edinburgh today, first time in a few months. I was gonna write a long post about how they'd extended the garden seating area and papered over the cool old comics in the men's bogs, until they charged me £4.40 for a pint.

£4.40!!!!!!!

:mad:

I went in the Duke of Edinburgh today, first time in a few months. I was gonna write a long post about how they'd extended the garden seating area and papered over the cool old comics in the men's bogs, until they charged me £4.40 for a pint.
£4.40!!!!!!!

:mad:
Cue to leave?

It's certainly true that until the moneyed twats started invading about 3 years ago, it would be unheard of for anyone living in Brixton to spend £50 on a night out.

[cue predictable responses saying this is a predictable response, etc etc]

Is that drugs or food/booze we are talking about here?

It's not the prices that concern me
Agreed. In any case, £55 for dinner and unlimited cocktails is not bad value for money at all, if you're the kind of person who likes them and were planning on drinking them aplenty on the night anyway.

On a slight tangent, it was total hell in the Beehive tonight. 20 minutes queues at the bar and extremely crowded with people who I imagine might be from The Only Way is Essex.

I can't wait till I get my Boris pass and can decamp to Peckham for a quiet drink in the company of old-style Brixtonians!

It was busy all round Brixton tonight. The Albert probably had the most diverse crowd I've ever seen there, with real demographic extremes. Kaff was rammed, as was the Dogstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom