Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realise that the 22nd of May clashes with the Chelsea Flower Show?
I will probably be late and ripped to the tits on Pimms :mad:
You may be surprised to learn that I did not know when the Chelsea Flowers Show was/is.

I quite like Whitstable. The only problem I have with it is the same problem I have with anywhere that has antiquated bits of pavement and road, which are tripping hazards for old gits like me who have to use walking aids.

The pavements are very narrow and i have to be more careful coming home from the pub. I love all the "hidden" paths to the beach.

Time is money, boohoo, time is money.

This is a falsehood, time is time. Time, as we know it, may not have existed until humans invented it. There are still some major arguments about time that have gone unresolved since time immemorial; but this is not the place for it. However, i would say this; capitalists have attempted to monetise time for their own gain, hence the term time is money. I prefer to think of time as my own and i spend it how i choose to.

With regards to gentrification of Brixton, i spent a relaxing evening in various pubs in Whitstable today, the young bar staff understand the issues, they feel the same pressures. Many are force moving to Herne Bay and Margate, driven by economic issues that were so brilliantly expressed in John Steinbeck's novel The Grapes of Wrath; which has just recently celebrated its 75th anniversary of publication.

They know Brixton is going posh and the dangers of that because they are living it in Whitstable, they also think the bubble has burst in Whitstable and they need to move eastwards; they maybe correct but i also suspect they are driven out by property prices and rentals. The later made worse by the primary driver of the local economy, tourism.

James and Brock (Bronn), forgive me if i have the later name wrong, two very clever young men who work in the Duke of Cumberland pub, which is currently my favourite place to have a drink, no food menu it's tapas free style and very family welcome; they certainly understand the issues.
whitstable-shops-pubs-high-street-07.jpg
Photo stolen from; http://www.urban75.org/blog/whitstable-photos-shops-pubs-and-high-street-views/

As i got chatting to them they laughed and asked, "are you a DFL?", "a what? What is a DFL?" i asked. "Down from London", came the explanation.
It had struck me earlier in the day that i had become one of those people, blocking the narrow pavements as i try to take a photograph of something i find novel and interesting. I am the tourist now. :oops:

The deprivation i thought i saw on the Whitstable main drag, the empty shops, is caused by commercial squatting. That has been made clear to me by locals. They are empty because it is more profitable to keep them empty. It prompts the question, who owns the communty they live in?

I thought things would change after capitalism ate itself and then demanded everyone pay the bill. The property price junkies are the problem, they are the ones that don't care where the money comes from as long as they get higher. Even more perverse, the non junkies join in acting against their own interests but driven by greed and a need to keep up with the Joneses.

This is not a class issue; but the working class, the poorest, the sick and disabled are being slaughtered first. The squeezed middle, (such a quaint term), narrative has been exposed as a sham. For some, their disposable income may have shrunk a little but they never had it so good; their adjustment they resent, naturally, but it is just self pity compared to the poverty of work houses, food banks and soup kitchens.

We live in economic apartheid townships. We don't own the community we live in. That make us slaves, that in itself is a victory for those that rule us; what makes it worse is that we turn on ourselves without much prompting.

Why can't local people be paid a local living wage without having to demand it? We don't even own that right. That is about to change.

Last edited:
could anyone enlighten me as to why there was a huuuuuuge queue at the bakers on Atlantic Road at the corner entrance of market row this morning around 8.50? never seen anything like it!

Question for the Brixton tech types....

I need to get a PC this weekend.
Ideally locally although can drive out and pick it up if not.
Just a base unit, no need for MS Office as this is more for media/web stuff.
Want something fairly pokey but budget needs to be under £500, ideally a fair bit under that.

Is PC World the best option locally for a reasonable range/price? :hmm:

Want something fairly pokey but budget needs to be under £500, ideally a fair bit under that.

This looks reasonable, although the processor is a bit slow.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1084953.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

This is better, the i3 processor is still a beauty.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1513747.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

IMG_9067-001.JPG

I heard it's better to get an Apple Mac.

If you could stretch to £549, this machine should keep you going for years:

l_21656717_001.jpg

i7 CPU, 6GB RAM. ITB HD
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt....html?themeid=383&token=pc-world-laptop-deals

Interesting.
Is it the processor that is the main investment there?
Well, you'd be getting a very fast CPU backed by a ton of RAM and loads of storage at a very cheap price. I wouldn't recommend it for high end gaming, but for everyday work it should be excellent.

Or try Megabytes in Worcester Park:
http://www.megabytes.co.uk/

Anyone know when the post offices are open tomorrow? The RM website has nothing about Easter opening hours- do they really work a normal Friday?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom