Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I don't use Waze. Can you enlighten me as to what the symbols mean please?
I don't either actually - I think you can ignore the little symbols if you're just interested in congestion, they are user reports. I've now worked out how to turn those layers off. Red= heavy congestion, orange medium congestion, etc.
Here's the same two areas just now:

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 17.29.05.jpgScreen Shot 2020-09-21 at 17.29.25.jpg

I don't use Waze. Can you enlighten me as to what the symbols mean please?

As Teuchter says the stronger the red the more traffic on that section of a red. It goes from light red to dark red.

The little round red symbol has cars on it to show heavy traffic. ie not an accident.

5pm:

1600709139602.png

And right now:

1600709188110.png

I'm all for reducing traffic on the roads - bring it on, I say! - but I can't help going a bit NIMBY when it means my street ends up being stuffed full of polluting cars for hours on end every day. I don't want to breathe in their shitty exhaust, thanksverymuch.

I think it just shows that a user has reported heavy traffic (rather than the system working it out from travel data).

Its why a lot of van drivers I know use it. Its constantly updated by drivers on the road. Its easy to update the system as a user of it on the road.

If van drivers I know use it then its reliable. They would not use it otherwise.

The Waze data confirms that there is congestion on CHL.

The Waze data also confirms that there is lots of congestion in Tooting, along the roads where that congestion was being blamed on the LTNs. And yet the LTNs have been removed there.

The important question is whether the congestion on CHL results mainly from the LTNs, or mainly from other things.

How much is likely to be due to the closure of the bottom of Atlantic Rd? If that is a factor it would be hard to disentangle the effect of that vs the LTN vs the overall COVID-related uptick in traffic across London (certainly until either the Atlantic Rd building work or COVD ends...which could be a while)

As the Council has brought in Railton LTN its up to the Council to prove that the increased traffic on CHL is not due to the LTN.
As the car drivers have driven onto coldharbour lane it's up to them to prove that the increased traffic isn't due to them driving onto coldharbour lane.

How much is likely to be due to the closure of the bottom of Atlantic Rd? If that is a factor it would be hard to disentangle the effect of that vs the LTN vs the overall COVID-related uptick in traffic across London (certainly until either the Atlantic Rd building work or COVD ends...which could be a while)
It's possible but it's clearly marked as closed on Google Maps...

As the Council has brought in Railton LTN its up to the Council to prove that the increased traffic on CHL is not due to the LTN.

Give it time, (bedding in takes a year or two or even three) look at the bigger picture and broader area (not just one road please). Look at the burden of proof questions (lets have a rational debate that accepts uncertainties). Frame this question in a different way maybe (don't be a reactionary, give an experiment a chance).

That's fantastic - do you want to call the council and tell them to stand down the monitoring team team?

As this is a local Brixton forum and I live in the area I talked to a local shopkeeper on CHL I know well and asked him what he thought. So have put it on this forum.

That is one way to use this forum and imo its completely valid use of it.

Last edited:
Give it time, (bedding in takes a year or two or even three) look at the bigger picture and broader area (not just one road please). Look at the burden of proof questions (lets have a rational debate that accepts uncertainties). Frame this question in a different way maybe (don't be a reactionary, give an experiment a chance).

But that is what has not happened. Council suspended the consultation and went ahead with this using emergency powers.

So it is quite reasonable to expect the Council to look into whether traffic is being displaced onto CHL.

Last edited:
As the car drivers have driven onto coldharbour lane it's up to them to prove that the increased traffic isn't due to them driving onto coldharbour lane.

No. The Council instigated the Railton LTN.

If concerns by residents are raised about possible increase in traffic its the Council who should give an answer. Im saying this as non car owner who lives on the affected street.

But that is what has not happened. Council suspended the consultation and went ahead with this using emergency powers.

So it is quite reasonable to expect the Council to look into whether traffic is being displaced onto CHL.

This isn’t true and has been pointed out a number of times.

The One Lambeth group is turning a bit nasty with the usual tropes being rolled out.

Cyclists are ‘scum of the road’ who don’t pay road tax.

A local ltn campaigner has had her home address shared and she’s being fat shamed: ‘Should go to the gym more than being on a bike’ etc.

And as she’s not from the UK apparently has no right to be doing what she’s doing.

Any traffic (caused by accidents or roadworks) is the fault of ltns and Khan has ruined London

The One Lambeth group is turning a bit nasty with the usual tropes being rolled out.

A local ltn campaigner has had her home address shared and she’s being fat shamed: ‘Should go to the gym more than being on a bike’ etc.

And as she’s not from the UK apparently has no right to be doing what she’s doing.

Any traffic (caused by accidents or roadworks) is the fault of ltns and Khan has ruined London

Yep, seeing this on local facebook pages too, somehow LTNs are anti-Brexit.

Are they a cross party group of genuinely concerned locals or a group of rightwing scumbags - I’m confused

Back
Top Bottom