Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Why do anti-LTN accounts just produce outright lies?

All of the filters in Ferndale use ANPR cameras which the emergency services are allowed to drive through. And always have been.

Ferndale is actually a perfect example. The only physical filter in the area is part of the estate - when that was built it was done so that there was no through traffic.
View attachment 416365View attachment 416366

Similar kind of story where I am:

Someone claimed ambulance was delayed but this reporter found that it was on a 2 hour call out time (lowest priority) and got there in 13 minutes.

First time I’ve used the bus since the LTN was suspended as been working from home for various reasons. It just breezed through.

Whatever the rights and wrongs the LTN clearly had a big impact on buses.

First time I’ve used the bus since the LTN was suspended as been working from home for various reasons. It just breezed through.

Whatever the rights and wrongs the LTN clearly had a big impact on buses.
Good news that bus journey times have improved!
Inside the suspended LTN traffic is back, but not (yet?) at pre LTN levels.
I was thinking that maybe some drivers did change their habits OR it only takes a small amount of extra traffic on the High Road to really mess up the buses.
I been told that TfL are looking at implementing bus priority measures as a priority before the LTN can be reinstated.

Good news that bus journey times have improved!
Inside the suspended LTN traffic is back, but not (yet?) at pre LTN levels.
I was thinking that maybe some drivers did change their habits OR it only takes a small amount of extra traffic on the High Road to really mess up the buses.
I been told that TfL are looking at implementing bus priority measures as a priority before the LTN can be reinstated.

That’s interesting as it means there is a fine balance and measures like filters etc could work. The car traffic was also flowing easily as well.

I suppose that's why they preface it by saying "this is why we started six years ago".

It's also taken during the school run, perhaps, so arguable if it's representative of normal conditions, or if other measures (school streets) could address the problem.

Short video clips on social media are never the best data to go on

I suppose that's why they preface it by saying "this is why we started six years ago".

It's also taken during the school run, perhaps, so arguable if it's representative of normal conditions, or if other measures (school streets) could address the problem.

Short video clips on social media are never the best data to go on
There is already a school street at that location, which is why the LTN is needed.
Drivers were mounting the pavement that day to squeeze themselves through. Never mind the primary school kids walking on them. 😤

There is already a school street at that location, which is why the LTN is needed.
Drivers were mounting the pavement that day to squeeze themselves through. Never mind the primary school kids walking on them. 😤
What is it that happens to peoples minds when they get behind the wheel of a car?

What is it that happens to peoples minds when they get behind the wheel of a car?
a few years ago there were some extensive Thames Water works in my neighbourhood, meaning that a street was closed for a few months. I used to chat most days to the workers as it was on my way shopping. They told me they frequently got threats from drivers including death threats. :( I don't know how they carried on

Streatham anti LTN bid visits Brixton on a bank holiday Monday, when most places are closed, and blames it on the LtNs.

It’s true that the LTNs made a huge difference to the fortunes of the shops etc on that section of Railton Road. But so did a lot of other factors, most especially the lockdowns. It’s really hard to say what difference the LTN changes made as a single factor.

People used to drive through there and make quick stops to shop, jump back in the car and away. So much so that the parking attendants just stopped bothering to check that section during the busiest times (after school pick up, mostly) cos they’d just get into enormous blazing rows with people who were making quick stops.

I live at the top end of Brixton Hill. Since New Park Road and surrounding areas have had the LTN measures introduced, NPR is gridlocked for about an hour every work day during rush hour. It hasn’t gotten better like it has in other areas as things settled down. It’s a run through from Brixton Hill to the South Circular and I can’t see it being less busy ever cos they can’t restrict traffic going through there . It’s shit for locals.

can’t see it being less busy ever cos they can’t restrict traffic going through there
They could have, but chose not to. It's a sanctioned shortcut, by TfL request IIRC. Lambeth wanted it closed off.

They could have, but chose not to. It's a sanctioned shortcut, by TfL request IIRC. Lambeth wanted it closed off.

Have to suspect this was to make the Brixton hill initial implementation chaos less bad, and they’d plan to do it.

Alex

It’s true that the LTNs made a huge difference to the fortunes of the shops etc on that section of Railton Road. But so did a lot of other factors, most especially the lockdowns. It’s really hard to say what difference the LTN changes made as a single factor.

People used to drive through there and make quick stops to shop, jump back in the car and away. So much so that the parking attendants just stopped bothering to check that section during the busiest times (after school pick up, mostly) cos they’d just get into enormous blazing rows with people who were making quick stops.

I live at the top end of Brixton Hill. Since New Park Road and surrounding areas have had the LTN measures introduced, NPR is gridlocked for about an hour every work day during rush hour. It hasn’t gotten better like it has in other areas as things settled down. It’s a run through from Brixton Hill to the South Circular and I can’t see it being less busy ever cos they can’t restrict traffic going through there . It’s shit for locals.
It's completely unfair that TfLs inability to manage it's own road network means they can dump on NPR, which is Lambeths.
Residents have my sympathy

The main thing I notice about Railton Road now is the absence of dangerous driving. Cars used to really speed down that road, pass far too close etc. That’s completely stopped IME.

The main thing I notice about NPR now is the increase of dangerous driving, or at least selfish and inconsiderate driving. Not speeding because as you say it’s gridlocked, but stubborn reluctance to pause to let school children cross. :(

The main thing I notice about Railton Road now is the absence of dangerous driving. Cars used to really speed down that road, pass far too close etc. That’s completely stopped IME.

The main thing I notice about NPR now is the increase of dangerous driving, or at least selfish and inconsiderate driving. Not speeding because as you say it’s gridlocked, but stubborn reluctance to pause to let school children cross. :(
I cycle to the Rec at about 6.45am, back ant 8.30ish and the traffic which remains along Railton still is very aggressive towards cyclists. You can get cars parked on both sides, I cycle in between them, remaining on my side of the road, and a car or van often comes in at speed, forcing me right against the parked cars.

They should probably remove some parking as well as restricting traffic in the area. Not allow parking on both sides of any stretch.

Agree about Railton - it's so much better.

What times of day is this and where are the issues? It's not felt busy at all when I've passed through and most of the traffic should be in one direction which you'd have expected to lead to less congestion. The stage 1 monitoring traffic counts show
  • eastern end increased from 3600 to 4200 vehicles per day average
  • western end decreased from 4900 to 3300

At peak times no-one would let you cross the road before anyway (there should have been a zebra outside the school at the very least - ideally a few along the road)

IMG_8055.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 09.13.16.png

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 09.13.25.png

Attachments

• IMG_8055.jpeg
    IMG_8055.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
Its beautiful - the anti's moved from 'vote them out', 'vote for this candidate', 'a vote for labour is a vote for the return of the Streatham LTN' straight to 'only 40% of people even bothered to vote' when the results came in.

The perfect referendum on the Streatham LTN and Lambeth councils policies - no wider implications beyond a single councillor per ward. Decent turnout for a local election because it was also the mayorals. And the independent anti-LTN candidate got just 210 votes in Knights Hill. Total vote share of the candidates who'd made opposition to the LTN their main campaigning focus under 20% in both wards - in line with the all the representative polling that's taken place.

That should be, once and for all, the end of any narrative that there is anything but a small angry minority of local residents opposing the LTNs.

The former chair then CEO of Lambeth Public Transport Campaign reposted this.
Not just LTN - also badly behaved cyclists - which affects me and my pedestrian friends.

What do badly behaved cyclists have to do with LTNs?

Lots of focus from the failing Tory party (of which Ediz is a member and failed council candidate) about dangerous cycling - good response from someone with some actual knowledge of the situation below.

The former chair then CEO of Lambeth Public Transport Campaign reposted this.
Not just LTN - also badly behaved cyclists - which affects me and my pedestrian friends.

The only good thing about that long winded, paranoid, evidence free “some of my best friends are cyclists” drone was the cat giving him evils and then licking their bottom.

I agree that cyclists should stop at red lights and zebra crossings, as pretty much all cyclists I know think as well. I’m not sure why he needs 4 1/2 minutes to say that though, nor why congestion is due to mythical cyclists with four Ferraris rather than the majority of people who choose to drive. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom