Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Are you kidding? The one and only time I cycled on Valley Road was when the LTN was in.
The bus is only every 20 mins and while local residents were using it, no way was it 10k vehicles
But if there was a protected cycle lane, would you use it?

Alternatively there will now be a protected cycle lane from Streatham Hill station all the way to S circular, so maybe we need a protected route on LCR

Is 10,000 vehicles a day enough?
Yes, over 2000 vehicles per day. Network safe cycle routes at 400m between them (this is the TfL/Mayoral commitment) Put that grid on the map and tell us where the routes are going to go.

Edit - actually maybe the target is 'within 400m of a safe cycle route' which suggests they're 800m apart. But that would still need A23, Norwood Road and a north-south route in between (and that's still note quite delivering 400m to a route). And two east west routes between Streatham Hill station level and Streatham Common.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 12.13.57.png

Last edited:
Yes, over 2000 vehicles per day. Network safe cycle routes at 400m between them (this is the TfL/Mayoral commitment) Put that grid on the map and tell us where the routes are going to go.

Edit - actually maybe the target is 'within 400m of a safe cycle route' which suggests they're 800m apart. But that would still need A23, Norwood Road and a north-south route in between (and that's still note quite delivering 400m to a route). And two east west routes between Streatham Hill station level and Streatham Common.

View attachment 415192
I'm not sure there is a huge demand for an east west route over the massively steep Streatham Hill/Knights hill for cyclists, but who knows

I'm not sure there is a huge demand for an east west route over the massively steep Streatham Hill/Knights hill for cyclists, but who knows
Are you thinking that people riding bikes would ride around the hills? What about people who live there?

The changes in elevation are hardly huge but when cycling uphill there is more of a need for safe space because the speed differential between motorised traffic and people cycling is greater.

As has been pointed out a number of times, e-bikes mean hills are really not an issue, even for unfit riders.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 14.17.35.png

Are you thinking that people riding bikes would ride around the hills? What about people who live there?

The changes in elevation are hardly huge but when cycling uphill there is more of a need for safe space because the speed differential between motorised traffic and people cycling is greater.

As has been pointed out a number of times, e-bikes mean hills are really not an issue, even for unfit riders.

View attachment 415203
That is a fantastic illustration of how the main road/rail routes have stolen all the most efficient, flat paths

Alternatively there will now be a protected cycle lane from Streatham Hill station all the way to S circular, so maybe we need a protected route on LCR
It's not really wide enough. The carriageway is mostly only 7.5m wide and carries buses which need 3m lanes, so they would be very narrow at just 75cm. The ideal is 2m, which allows overtaking (eg. CS7 through Stockwell) , although 1.5m is ok (eg. the wand-protected lane alongside Brockwell Park). 1m for single file riding is about as low as you really want to go, which would mean reducing the pavement width, and even then there'd be no proper segregation. A few bits of the road are even narrower. At Uplands care home, the carriageway is only 6.3m and the whole road is just 10m to the property line. You cannot get pavement, cycle lanes and traffic through a 10m gap unless you restrict traffic to a single lane with priority passing. Given that LCR is a boundary road, this is not really tenable.

But if there was a protected cycle lane, would you use it?
if there was a wide enough lane with wands, maybe, but there isn't space, even with all the car parking removed. Part of Valley Road is a Lambeth Healthy Route (Streatham to Peckham). But it's never going to meet their definition for cyclists:
People cycling only mix with traffic if two way flows are fewer than 200 vehicles per hour (vph) per peak hour. IIRC Valley is @1,000 at peak.
OR
Segregated tracks, will be at least 1.5m wide one way and 2.5m for two way.

Absolutely bizarre attack from a Times journalist on a councillor and council officer. Apparently anyone trying to introduce any policy has to be an expert in that field rather than maybe seeking advice from others.

Tbf whilst I agree that’s a ridiculous position to hold for the level of local government, it would be nice if prior experience was expected at ministerial level, or for lead roles in public services. If it’s the Times I bet the journalist in question doesn’t moan about that. :hmm:

Absolutely bizarre attack from a Times journalist on a councillor and council officer. Apparently anyone trying to introduce any policy has to be an expert in that field rather than maybe seeking advice from others.

Andrew Ellson has form.

tbh no one - not even the experts - really know how traffic changes are going to pan out. Which is why we have trials.

Tbf whilst I agree that’s a ridiculous position to hold for the level of local government, it would be nice if prior experience was expected at ministerial level, or for lead roles in public services. If it’s the Times I bet the journalist in question doesn’t moan about that. :hmm:
It’s also be great if journalists had some knowledge of what their writing about!!

I think you've misunderstood. Josh Learner is a Lambeth employee. He has a degree in Sports Development from a lower tier university.

West Yorkshire Combined Authority is currently demanding a post-graduate qualification for a similar postion.

Cllr Rezina Chowdhury apparently takes his advice. I think it's reasonable to ask if she's trusting the right people.

I think you've misunderstood. Josh Learner is a Lambeth employee. He has a degree in Sports Development from a lower tier university.

West Yorkshire Combined Authority is currently demanding a post-graduate qualification for a similar postion.

Cllr Rezina Chowdhury apparently takes his advice. I think it's reasonable to ask if she's trusting the right people.
“a lower tier university” 🙄

Here’s a bio from when he was at previous role - seems pretty clued up for trying to deliver the aims of councillors.

IMG_5364.jpeg

Of course, all you need is a degree from a Higher Tier University, experience counts for nothing. What a knob you are.

I would imagine that, if he is qualified, he has a good case for defamation.
I’m not sure that’s how it works - the fact he’s writing this on Twitter speaks volumes. If he’s uncovered some great story of incompetence surely that would be in the paper.

It’s very clear that the journalist that are actually writing with knowledge about LTNs end up prettt much in favour. While those that are writing against are doing so as some anti-woke, car is king agenda.

I’m not sure that’s how it works - the fact he’s writing this on Twitter speaks volumes. If he’s uncovered some great story of incompetence surely that would be in the paper.

It’s very clear that the journalist that are actually writing with knowledge about LTNs end up prettt much in favour. While those that are writing against are doing so as some anti-woke, car is king agenda.
It’s not just on Twitter. It has been published The Times and he’s using twitter to promote his article.

LTNs are miraculous. They're imposed on others by remote blow-ins and make the lives of those living in them impossible, preventing anyone from going about their daily business, and are lawless crime ridden ghettos where it's unsafe to walk. Yet at the same time they're idyllic gated communities which councillors are corrupt for living in and where increased house prices suggest that they're desirable places to live.

I see that the anti's have moved from 'everyone hates them' to 'of course everyone living inside them likes them'.

I really liked the Streatham Wells scheme. It made it so much more peaceful walking along Valley Road towards the common, and just walking/cycling around the area in general. Was pretty disappointed to see it had been suspended, after wondering why there was so much traffic speeding around the area today. I hope it gets reinstated after the council sort out issues with buses, and the works to the high road are done.

Was it really that bad down the high road every day, or was it more a case of being particularly bad on some days? Some of the reporting of it seems like it could apply to the high road at any point in time (including prior to the LTN) if there were roadworks or an accident, and the images used in reporting the stories are just images of traffic, which the high road has always had.

I felt like after a while the traffic on Leigham Court Road had settled down, and it didn't seem noticeably worse than before the LTN, and most of the times I'd been down the high road since the trial began, traffic seemed to be moving ok. The only major difference I noticed was that there was more traffic at the end of Gleneldon Road sometimes.

I know this is all anecdotal, but it didn't seem like the disaster it was being made out to be in the press, and it made the area much more peaceful. That said, I wasn't camping out on the high road at rush hour, so may have been missing all the chaos.

What seems likely in terms of it getting reinstated? Would be pretty crap if that was the end of it entirely, as I think it had a lot going for it.

Back
Top Bottom