Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Seems TfL will install the new bike lane and bus priority measures and then it will be back.
Link?
The bike lane plan is (currently) only from S.Circ to Streatham Hill station. Are they also putting bus priority measure in down by the Odeon?

Link?
The bike lane plan is (currently) only from S.Circ to Streatham Hill station. Are they also putting bus priority measure in down by the Odeon?

Increase of only 8% of traffic on boundary roads was enough to cause the issues. Suggests that it could reintroduced and enough time given that would go away from people making other choices.

Transport for London will begin a £9million project to substantially upgrade the experience for walking and cycling on the A23, starting at the end of spring and continuing into 2025. These improvement works will necessarily require some reduced road capacity while this major investment takes place.

Alongside this investment, we are working with TfL to implement a comprehensive package of bus priority measures along the length of the A23 to separate buses from general traffic and help prevent bus delays in future.

Consultation on these proposals will take place with residents and businesses in 2024, with construction starting as soon as possible thereafter.

Seems like a reasonable response, and very glad it's a "suspension", not a "removal".

Seems like a reasonable response, and very glad it's a "suspension", not a "removal".
Yep - it was always a trial and if not working could be removed or changes made.

The reaction in the LTN Watch WhatsApp group is obviously insufferable (someone’s actually said “Make Streatham Great Again”…) but some are realising this is not the victory that many seem to think it is.

Seems TfL will install the new bike lane and bus priority measures and then it will be back.
Might be a good result all round no? It takes off the short term pressures and the suggestions on this thread can now hopefully be put in place by TfL and I imagine there will now be a real pressure to do so?

Might be a good result all round no? It takes off the short term pressures and the suggestions on this thread can now hopefully be put in place by TfL and I imagine there will now be a real pressure to do so?
TfL work at the speed of a snail. I think it will be a long time (if ever) that we see the Streatham Wells Low Traffic Neighbourhood reinstated. I'm just about to move my bed from my nice front bedroom to my tiny back bedroom, so I can get some sleep tonight. I'm lucky I have this option.

Hopefully a good result in the long term but feels pretty bad in the short term.

Just frustrating the amount of effort and time it takes for these sort of improvements when car drivers are endlessly pandered to.
As I have said repeatedly, our councillors and council are pathetic.

They have taken a good scheme, implemented it badly. When the issues as a result of that poor implementation have been highlighted, they insist the opposite. Right until Sadiq Khan acknowledges the issues and then the craven lot do an about-turn and scrap it.

They’ve pissed off the die-hard motorists, now the cyclists and residents will be aggrieved.

Result - there’s no LTN and nobody has faith in the council or it’s spokespeople.

They have taken a good scheme, implemented it badly. When the issues as a result of that poor implementation have been highlighted, they insist the opposite. Right until Sadiq Khan acknowledges the issues and then the craven lot do an about-turn and scrap it.

They’ve pissed off the die-hard motorists, now the cyclists and residents will be aggrieved.

Result - there’s no LTN and nobody has faith in the council or it’s spokespeople.
Or, being more positive, we could think the council/councillors have acknowledged the drawbacks the LTN had and have done something about it.

Hopefully if and when it comes back it will have been thought through better

Or, being more positive, we could think the council/councillors have acknowledged the drawbacks the LTN had and have done something about it.

Hopefully if and when it comes back it will have been thought through better
Not launching it in November, for a start. Do it at a time when people will try cycling and walking, where they haven’t before.

Also, keep the design static when launching it next time, rather than including and excluding streets, putting up cameras and signs for streets you have excluded.

And get the signs right on day one. Rather than needing to make endless changes.

What I’d love to see now is that they realise that sitting at the side of the road in the Valley Road parklets isn’t so good and invest in some decent seating for Valley Road playing fields, maybe even some public barbecue space there and let everyone enjoy some public green space.

Hopefully a good result in the long term but feels pretty bad in the short term.

Just frustrating the amount of effort and time it takes for these sort of improvements when car drivers are endlessly pandered to.

They also pissed off bus users (which was why TfL and Sadiq Khan got it cancelled, it wasn’t pandering to motorists). Sort that out and given blue badge provisions and then the extra pain for motorists can be filed under suck it up.

Will be interesting to see how quickly traffic goes back to using pre LTN routes.

Do Google maps etc update straight away? As I imagine a lot just blindly follow the navigation.

I said way back in consultation phase on this thread that Streatham Wells was one LTN too far. Closing valley road was the kicker.

Clearly the A23 redesign (which I am super excited about with the new pedestrian crossings and segregated cycle lane) takes priority because that's going to cause massive disruption while it's being constructed.

Maybe SW LTN can come back one day but the new A23 design will have to be taken into account

It's a fucking great result, because it shows that direct experience matters, no matter how many selective stats and theory you chuck at people.

Hopefully some LTN advocates can be more honest about the impacts of schemes, and start acknowleging issues rather than endlessly ignoring, patronising or rubbishing the people who've experienced problems with them.

It might also result in better designed LTNs and better and more honest communication around them from councils.

It's a fucking great result, because it shows that direct experience matters, no matter how many selective stats and theory you chuck at people.

Hopefully some LTN advocates can be more honest about the impacts of schemes, and start acknowleging issues rather than endlessly ignoring, patronising or rubbishing the people who've experienced problems with them.

It might also result in better designed LTNs and better and more honest communication around them from councils.
You must admit there’s quite an element of the boy who cried wolf with LTNs though. If you say every LTN is disastrous when it’s clearly not the case it’s difficult to see the genuine issues and it looks like this decision has been taken with data to back it up.

I said way back in consultation phase on this thread that Streatham Wells was one LTN too far. Closing valley road was the kicker.

Clearly the A23 redesign (which I am super excited about with the new pedestrian crossings and segregated cycle lane) takes priority because that's going to cause massive disruption while it's being constructed.

Maybe SW LTN can come back one day but the new A23 design will have to be taken into account
Post in thread 'Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists'
Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

So going back to this post, how would you enable safe cycling (and the hierarchy of users which puts walking and cycling at the top, and private cars at the bottom) in this area, at the 400m intervals the city transport strategy is committed to, without valley road ?

Post in thread 'Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists'

So going back to this post, how would you enable safe cycling (and the hierarchy of users which puts walking and cycling at the top, and private cars at the bottom) in this area, at the 400m intervals the city transport strategy is committed to, without valley road ?
The LTN arguably does not create a safe route on valley road. Cars and buses are still driving along it. As mentioned previously I would add a cycle lane on valley road and remove car parking spaces/widen appropriately.

The LTN arguably does not create a safe route on valley road. Cars and buses are still driving along it. As mentioned previously I would add a cycle lane on valley road and remove car parking spaces/widen appropriately.
it does in terms of traffic volumes - Lambeth, following Dutch standards. Under 2k vehicles per day/200 at peak hour to share space with motor vehicles. Over 2k should be protected space.

Are you kidding? The one and only time I cycled on Valley Road was when the LTN was in.
The bus is only every 20 mins and while local residents were using it, no way was it 10k vehicles

Back
Top Bottom