Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

And here's the reality:

There are around 9 to 10 million cycle trips for every cyclist fatality. The general risk of injury of any severity while cycling is very small per 1,000 hours of cycling on public roads: 0.045 (2015-19); 0.025 (2020); 0.039 (2021). About three-quarters of these injuries were slight.
Every road casualty, of course, is a road casualty too many. Cycling is safer than many people think it is, however, and the health benefits outweigh the risks.

On public roads, over a distance equivalent to 1,000 times round the earth at its widest point:​

From 2015-19 on average each year:
  • One cyclist was killed (0.72)
  • 32 were seriously injured
  • 97 were slightly injured
The figures for 2020, when motor traffic dropped significantly and cycling levels rose, are:
  • One killed (0.66)
  • 20 seriously injured
  • 56 slightly injured
The figures for 2021 are:
  • One killed (0.66)
  • 26 seriously injured
  • 71 slightly injured
Also:
  • There are around 9 to 10 million cycle trips for every cyclist fatality
  • The general risk of injury of any severity while cycling is very small per 1,000 hours of cycling on public roads: 0.045 (2015-19); 0.025 (2020); 0.039 (2021). About three-quarters of these injuries were slight. (Includes incidents reported to the police only)
  • The risk of being killed while cycling per billion miles cycled has been trending downwards since 2012, as has the risk of being seriously or slightly injured. (Includes incidents reported to the police only)

The point is that you've made a claim that seems, frankly, unbelievable and looks like the sort of misinformation used to discourage people from getting out of their stinky cars and taking up cycling.

I cycle myself lol and think it’s a good and cheap mode of transport. I just wouldn’t take my daughter on the roads.

Cyclists do get injuries, it’s hardly uncommon.

My daughter gets loads of exercise so not sure there would be many additional benefits health wise. But I’ve read about the risks but the fact is nearly everyone I know who regularly cycles has had a bad injury. I just wouldn’t take that risk for my daughter.

Again I support LTNs by and large but not the current one unless the buses can be sorted out.
I’ve cycled daily for 10 years and never had a bad injury. (swiftly touches wood)

It’s per 1,000 trips round the Earth (25million miles). There were 4.2 billion miles cycled on public roads in 2021 apparently.

So 15,500 people last year were either injured or seriously injured.

Over 30 or so years I don’t think it’s particularly out there that most of the regular cyclists I know have been injured. I probably shouldn’t have put bad injuries as losing a tooth probably doesn’t qualify.

So 15,500 people last year were either injured or seriously injured.

Over 30 or so years I don’t think it’s particularly out there that most of the regular cyclists I know have been injured. I probably shouldn’t have put bad injuries as losing a tooth probably doesn’t qualify.
That was slightly injured - seriously injured is about a third of that. Think you know some very unlucky or just bad cyclists.

That was slightly injured - seriously injured is about a third of that. Think you know some very unlucky or just bad cyclists.

Fair enough lol! On the flip side it’s made me very pro cycle lanes, and definitely more favourable to most LTNs.

The anti cyclist mentality among some drivers is pathetic.

Although the posh entitled cyclists you get do sometimes wind me up lol but not nearly as much as posh 4x4 owners.

I have the same experience, all the London cyclists I know have been injured or at least had some scary near misses. Actually dying is extremely rare, but still feels a lot less safe than taking public transport.

Hats off to anyone who is happy to cycle around their two under 5s in a bike trailer up and down the hills of S London in all weather conditions, but let's be honest it's not hugely viable. It might be viable in lovely flat Amsterdam with all the cycle lanes, but it's not in London.

It's also not guaranteed that your destination will have secure cycle storage, and you may be a sweaty, stinky mess in summer or chilled to the bone in winter by the time you arrive.

Cycling is a wonderful leisure activity and for keeping fit, but it has severe limitations as a mode of transport that the hardcore cycling nuts will never see.

I actually think that soon we may see e-scooters overtake cycling in popularity.

They are everywhere in some European cities and they have a number of advantages over cycling.

I have the same experience, all the London cyclists I know have been injured or at least had some scary near misses. Actually dying is extremely rare, but still feels a lot less safe than taking public transport.

Hats off to anyone who is happy to cycle around their two under 5s in a bike trailer up and down the hills of S London in all weather conditions, but let's be honest it's not hugely viable. It might be viable in lovely flat Amsterdam with all the cycle lanes, but it's not in London.

It's also not guaranteed that your destination will have secure cycle storage, and you may be a sweaty, stinky mess in summer or chilled to the bone in winter by the time you arrive.

Cycling is a wonderful leisure activity and for keeping fit, but it has severe limitations as a mode of transport that the hardcore cycling nuts will never see.

I actually think that soon we may see e-scooters overtake cycling in popularity.

They are everywhere in some European cities and they have a number of advantages over cycling.
I think you’re making out cycling to be something it’s not. Seeing a huge increase in cycling lately all over London - it’s not for everyone but it’s cheap and makes local / medium trips much easier for those without cars. Yes, not all routes can be done by 5 year olds but most secondary school kids should be within cyclable distance and making side streets safer massively encourages it.

Cycling can feel more dangerous than it is because of the amount of shit, dangerous and frankly selfish drivers that don’t give a shit or actively hate cyclists (no surprise that opponents of LTNs tend to massively hate cyclists). Not having to share the roads with so many of these drivers makes it feel a lot safer.

Don’t see scooters taking off (why haven’t they already if so?) but Lime bikes are showing the massive appetite for electric bikes. (EDIT: realise you prob mean e-scooters, was thinking mopeds. Can see them helping but they’re v similar to bikes and would prob skew to much younger users, e-bikes are better & more inclusive imo.)

Bike storage definitely needs to get better but there’s no need for a shower after most cycles and it’s easy to dress appropriately for all weather’s, basically the same as if you were walking. Incidentally loads of kids that get driven to school seem to be taken without coats in the winter or rain so they have nothing to wear in breaks - cars have made people stop knowing how to deal with the weather!

There’s a real problem that, as we haven’t supported cycle infrastructure, the only people cycling have been those brave enough to do so so that then people think that’s who cyclists are. Now that we’re enabling it we’re seeing the demographics change to include nearly everyone.

Finally, no surprise Tory candidates are against LTNs. Car culture is inherently about selfishness and so lends itself to their worldview. Forcing people to spend large proportions of their income on transport is one of the biggest social inequalities.

Last edited:

I have never cycled anywhere in London that I haven’t found a bike hoop within a couple of minutes walk. Even in places where car parking is £6-£10 per hour.

I agree with you as regards bike trailers though. When you think of all the crumpled zones and airbags required on cars, then people put their kids in a box of plywood and steel piping. I wouldn’t do it. There’s too little control. I’d rather have a bike seat or even a cargo bike setup.

As for e-scooters, I think something needs done to make them legal because the fact that they are all illegal makes the safe ones with responsible users on the same side of the law as those doing 40mph on the wrong side of the road, with LEDs flashing everywhere and hopping on and off pavements.

Hoping the proposed Myatt’s Fields LTN sorts out this daily occurrence on Loughborough Road & hopefully the Slade Gardens on has an effect as well as most of this is rat running down Robsart St.

IMG_5355.jpeg

As for e-scooters, I think something needs done to make them legal because the fact that they are all illegal makes the safe ones with responsible users on the same side of the law as those doing 40mph on the wrong side of the road, with LEDs flashing everywhere and hopping on and off pavements.
The private hire ones are legal. TFL made it so they have to be parked in designated bays which is a good improvement on what I have seen in mainland Europe

This rather ignores pedestrian injuries in London. Not insignificant numbers of people are injured by cars crashing into bus stops each year in London.

e bikes really do remove hills as any barrier. so your argument is we need more cycle lanes and safe minor roads in LTNs.
Again, the reality is that cycling in winter is just fine - you don't need many clothes to be comfortable and sweat free (whereas often I'll find myself sweating on a tube or bus after wearing enough clothes to wait at a bus stop or walk to the tube.
Which is also one of the issues with e-scooters (or mopeds) - because you're not exerting yourself at all you get really cold.

Likewise in summer, if you ride at a gentle pace the airflow is pleasantly cool on a hot day. Theres no need to arrive a sweaty mess any more than there is if you walk. (again, public transport is super hot in summer)

Last edited:
e bikes really do remove hills as any barrier. so your argument is we need more cycle lanes and safe minor roads in LTNs.
Yes to cycle lanes, yes to e bikes although they're expensive, heavy to lift and prone to getting stolen.

LTNs for me don't massively help because there is no top down strategy for connecting them together to create safe routes for journeys over 1 mile let's say

Yes to cycle lanes, yes to e bikes although they're expensive, heavy to lift and prone to getting stolen.

LTNs for me don't massively help because there is no top down strategy for connecting them together to create safe routes for journeys over 1 mile let's say
Streatham Wells, Streatham Hill, Tulse Hill, Brixton Hill, Fernadale, Larkhall Rise, Oval LTNs all link up and take you straight into central london now and onto roads with bike lanes. Crossings between need to be better but can use pedestrian ones. Absolutely transformational!!

they dont have to be any of those things. And even a top of the range e bike is cheap compared to a car.

Swapfiets or Buzzbike will 'lease' you an e-bike, with theft cover, from about £60 a month (£2 a day - cheaper than a travel card)

these are addressable problems.
Lambeth's healthy routes plan is quite literally a top down strategy for connecting together LTNS to create safe routes. Yes, it depends on TfL in many cases to get their act together to do the crossings over main roads, but in most cases you can use a nearby pedestrian crossing if you're really not confident.

You can ride from Streatham Wells to Kings Cross now entirely through LTNs or on protected cycleway. There are loads of similar routes around

This map shows all the LTNS and protected infra/quiet routes. Yes, there are gaps and yes, at the moment a lot of destinations need a bit of thought to plan a route but that is becoming less and less effort at more LTNS and cycleways are built.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 10.14.28.png

Last edited:
what makes someone posh and entitled? and how do they wind you up?

Or is this just another bit of 'othering'?

I don’t think it’s in dispute that posh and entitled people exist and they wind me up as they are posh and entitled. In the case of cycling not least because of their attitude to other cyclists.

Also I think it’s a tad of an insult to actually oppressed groups to talk about cyclists as being “othered”.

up and down the hills of S London in all weather conditions,
and lastly, you don't have to. If the weather's really shitty you get on public transport, or maybe drive if you've got a car, or get a cab. But those are the exceptions - most of the time the weather is just fine to ride a bike in the UK. It's rarely cold enough to be icy or really hot. It might rain quite a few days of the year, but that doesn't mean it's actually raining continuously and probably not during your trips.

I don’t think it’s in dispute that posh and entitled people exist and they wind me up as they are posh and entitled. In the case of cycling not least because of their attitude to other cyclists.

Also I think it’s a tad of an insult to actually oppressed groups to talk about cyclists as being “othered”.
there are people. Some of them are arseholes. that's not really linked to their method of transport - there are people who can be objectionable walking down a pavement or standing in a crowd.

Question for the regular cyclists.

I’m not nearly as fit as I used to be since I stopped playing football. In fact I’m unfit :(

The hills on a bike wipe me out and I often have to get off the bike and walk. If I cycled more often how long would it tough to get fit enough to handle the hills?

Is it it normal for hills to have that affect if you’re not used to them?

Also what’s the best way to get from Streatham common to Brixton avoiding the main road?

Back
Top Bottom