Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

It should be if car parking was sacrificed
Unfortunately even if parking was removed on both sides of the road it still would not be wide enough in most parts for a proper cycle lane and a vehicle lane wide enough for the bus. Shall I get my tape measure out?
Edit to add: I see Crispy has kindly done that for me. 😍.
The houses on the West side of the north part of Valley Road are mostly maisonettes, with only 1 car parking space off road (if there is one).

There do seem to be quite a few opportunities to make the bus lanes more continuous through Streatham.

This is one of the most vocal anti-s, driving at rush hour, and blocking the entrance to a bus lane. Voiceover "theres no buses". Of course there are no buses, you're blocking them.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 14.25.39.png

Last edited:
There does seem to be quite a few opportunities to make the bus lanes continuous through Streatham.

This is one of the most vocal anti-s, driving at rush hour, and blocking the entrance to a bus lane. Voiceover "theres no buses". Of course there are no buses, you're blocking them.

View attachment 414648

He doesn’t even realise what the issue is! But of course he doesn’t really give a shit about buses just wants everyone to bend over backwards to make his choices the most convenient.

There does seem to be quite a few opportunities to make the bus lanes continuous through Streatham.

View attachment 414648

What a fucking clown.

And - oh noes! First they came for the drivers....

Lots of buses diverted down LCR tonight which was bizarre as there are road works on it. I stayed on it this time and walked at the other end. Even if anti LTN people clearly have an agenda it’s also clear the situation with the buses is fucked up.

Streatham High Road apparently is at 34K vehicles per day.
What's odd to me is that if the problems are due to the Streatham Wells low traffic neighbourhood (and the huge delays to buses are completely unacceptable) how come it hasn't been like this since the start, some 4 plus months ago? There must be other factors in play, surely?
It was bad from the outset. TfL is now redirecting buses of the High Road and buses are terminating early. Lambeth’s projections of both traffic and pollution were both gross underestimates.

Absolutely, but I’d imagine that those in favour, which includes me, would hope for competent implementation.

Starting it in November, when curious cyclists are never likely to try cycling out, when fairweather cyclists have their bikes in their sheds for the winter, is incompetent.

And now the consensus is that it has negatively impacted buses. There has been no effort to improve bus routes or frequencies. There has been no attempt to have local roads, onto which traffic has been displaced, improved to cope with the extra traffic.

So now there are loads of pissed off people who are just trying to take the bus to work and the whole LTN may fail because nobody has been converted to cycling because of the weather.

A bunch of idiots have implemented it. I could have done a better job myself.
I think you’ve completely hit the nail on the head here. The LTNs are theoretically a good idea but the practical implementation is appalling. And, the Lambeth transport team have zero interest in hearing people’s views as they think that anyone against it is just a single occupancy lazy car user. There has been literally no joined up thinking with TfL buses. I live off Brixton Hill and regularly travel to Clapham / Dulwich with two young kids. Those journeys now take at least twice as long in a car. But the worst thing is that there is no viable bus option. The south circular / Christchurch road is wide enough in parts to implement bus lanes but Lambeth and TfL haven’t done this in tandem.

How so?

The suggestion is simply to stop giving private vehicles a bypass route that isn't available to buses, essentially via the purple area. If lots of people are turning on and off the main road then of course that's going to jam things up. The explanation of what's happening makes sense to me.

View attachment 413858

If private vehicles are not able to get through the area more quickly than buses, then fewer private vehicles will attempt to use the route that the buses need to use.

Well that is absolutely not my experience in the Tulse Hill LTN. Same number of car users / journeys (as most actually need to use a car) but now clogging up main roads.

If the buses were running correctly, people would use them.

And if it were springtime, people would think “hmm, I might buy a bike”

I’ve lived in London for 15 years and can tell you that, in good weather, nothing beats cycling. I get into town from Tulse Hill in 30 minutes and can park anywhere. And it’s all free.

And getting to and from work? Nothing is better than public transport, if it is efficient and has space. When I used to commute, I would never have changed it for a car journey. I had half an hour to think about the day ahead and to listen to podcasts and music.

People want to cycle to work and school. People don’t want to drive, don’t want to sit in traffic, don’t want to pay for petrol and parking and get their car damaged when they park it.

People want LTNs. But it has to be cleverly implemented and not just done for the sake of it. By the time this LTN is resolved, the anti LTN feeling will be too far entrenched in those who could have become cyclists or more frequent PT users. So they could make alterations today and people will still dismiss it as being an idealogical disaster.

Worst of all in all this is that we have opposing neighbours. Pro and anti. Zealots and lunatics. Vandals and trolls. On both sides. It’s dividing the neighbourhoods and is a rich breeding ground for anti social behaviour.
But - and you’ve sort of proved this here - Lambeth and TfL and the transport system of this city is aimed at getting people in and out of central London ASAP. That’s great for you and I who may work in Central London but for those that need to get across South London for work / school instead - they transport system fails them in a big way. Lambeth don’t seem to care about this. It’s just about bashing the car user and brandishing them as selfish.

The south circular / Christchurch road is wide enough in parts to implement bus lanes but Lambeth and TfL haven’t done this in tandem.
An actual bus route would be a start. There's some buses that ues it a little bit but it could really do with some longer distance routes.
It might not be wide enough for bus lanes everywhere, but it sure is wide enough for cycle lanes the whole way.

I live off Brixton Hill and regularly travel to Clapham / Dulwich with two young kids. Those journeys now take at least twice as long in a car. But the worst thing is that there is no viable bus option.
Where in Clapham are you going? There's loads of buses down Brixton Hill to the town hall and then loads to Clapham along Acre Lane. I live off BH too and also have two children (though no longer young) and I've never driven to Clapham.

I don’t think the LTNs up until this point have caused too many issues. But this one has been awful on many levels.

One of the worst things is that it’s a big own goal in handing ammunition to the right wing anti green lot.

I really can’t work out why TfL are now sending buses up LCR where road works are taking place. I can only think that they presume the main road is even worse.

Several times in the past couple of weeks I’ve had to change to multiple buses or walk most of the way. It annoys me in that it cuts back on time with my family but at least it’s an option. For anyone with mobility issues it must be very, very difficult.

I think you’ve completely hit the nail on the head here. The LTNs are theoretically a good idea but the practical implementation is appalling. And, the Lambeth transport team have zero interest in hearing people’s views as they think that anyone against it is just a single occupancy lazy car user. There has been literally no joined up thinking with TfL buses. I live off Brixton Hill and regularly travel to Clapham / Dulwich with two young kids. Those journeys now take at least twice as long in a car. But the worst thing is that there is no viable bus option. The south circular / Christchurch road is wide enough in parts to implement bus lanes but Lambeth and TfL haven’t done this in tandem.
From the middle of Upper Tulse Hill pretty much anywhere in Clapham or Dulwich is only around 15 minutes away on a bike. Depending on the age of the children then child seats, trailers, trailer bikes up to their own bikes. Most of the journey is on quiet streets through LTNs or through parks (Brockwell/Clapham Common) and there are protected cycleways in places too (Norwood/Rosendale).

It's about the same time to drive most trips as it is to cycle right now but I guess at rush hours it might be slower. Cycling wouldn't change.

Depending on the start/end points right now most trips are about 30 minutes by bus (though I know there are some Brixton-Dulwich trips that are basically as quick to walk as to use public transport for).

There was a discussion on here a while back about what public transport is considered 'viable' but you're never going to have Public Transport that is as quick as a car on empty roads. a few minutes to a bus stop at either end and up to a 10 minute wait - the bus is always going to be slower. So to get people to use public transport clearly either need to make driving much less convenient (so that it's actually slower), or difficult/expensive (high price for destination parking might do it)

The same question was asked of the last person - how long is your car trip, how long is the current bus trip, how much longer than driving would you consider 'viable'?

What stops you considering cycling rather than driving?

One of the worst things is that it’s a big own goal in handing ammunition to the right wing anti green lot.
Really don’t think that’s the case - on fact it shows the mayor and the council are listening and looking to make changes rather than doing exactly what the WEF want!!

Really don’t think that’s the case - on fact it shows the mayor and the council are listening and looking to make changes rather than doing exactly what the WEF want!!

I mean I’ve not met a single person in the LTN who isn’t now pissed off with it. So if that’s a good result it’s puzzling.

From the middle of Upper Tulse Hill pretty much anywhere in Clapham or Dulwich is only around 15 minutes away on a bike. Depending on the age of the children then child seats, trailers, trailer bikes up to their own bikes. Most of the journey is on quiet streets through LTNs or through parks (Brockwell/Clapham Common) and there are protected cycleways in places too (Norwood/Rosendale).

It's about the same time to drive most trips as it is to cycle right now but I guess at rush hours it might be slower. Cycling wouldn't change.

Depending on the start/end points right now most trips are about 30 minutes by bus (though I know there are some Brixton-Dulwich trips that are basically as quick to walk as to use public transport for).

There was a discussion on here a while back about what public transport is considered 'viable' but you're never going to have Public Transport that is as quick as a car on empty roads. a few minutes to a bus stop at either end and up to a 10 minute wait - the bus is always going to be slower. So to get people to use public transport clearly either need to make driving much less convenient (so that it's actually slower), or difficult/expensive (high price for destination parking might do it)

The same question was asked of the last person - how long is your car trip, how long is the current bus trip, how much longer than driving would you consider 'viable'?

What stops you considering cycling rather than driving?

In terms of public transport to my family in Bromley it probably isn’t viable. I would just have to not visit them with my daughter after school.

Nearly every person I know who cycles has had a serious accident at some point. Sorry but I wouldn’t risk it with my daughter on the roads.

I mean I’ve not met a single person in the LTN who isn’t now pissed off with it. So if that’s a good result it’s puzzling.
I think it depends who you hang out with. Majority of my friends who live in the low traffic neighbourhoods really love them, although recognise that something must be done to improve bus priority over cars on Streatham.

I think it depends who you hang out with. Majority of my friends who live in the low traffic neighbourhoods really love them, although recognise that something must be done to improve bus priority over cars on Streatham.
I’m only talking about this specific LTN. Up until now they have gone well I think. I think you’d struggle to meet many people who support the current one who live in and around it. I haven’t heard a single person who still supports it, even those who initially did. I was actually leaning towards support but worried that what has happened would happen.

I was also worried about a big increase in anti social behaviour if they closed off Hopton but they didn’t.

In terms of public transport to my family in Bromley it probably isn’t viable. I would just have to not visit them with my daughter after school.

Nearly every person I know who cycles has had a serious accident at some point. Sorry but I wouldn’t risk it with my daughter on the roads.
The question wasn't to you - the poster I was responding to was talking about trips from Brixton Hill to Dulwich and Clapham.

Despite your anecdote, cycling isn't actually that dangerous - the health benefits massively outweigh the risk of injury or death from RTCs. But what you're saying is the absolute argument for the LTNs and cycleways - as well as being objectively safe (which many who are opposed to LTNS and cycleways claim it already is), cycling needs to feel subjectively safe.

This is an interesting counter-factual - there have been a fair few opponents along the way who've claimed they'd support LTNs if residents were exempt from their local LTN.

Hammersmith and Fulham went further than that - they made all residents from anywhere in the borough exempt from ALL their borough 'definitely NOT LTNs'. And have just the same loud minority opposition as everywhere that's done it properly.

The question wasn't to you - the poster I was responding to was talking about trips from Brixton Hill to Dulwich and Clapham.

Despite your anecdote, cycling isn't actually that dangerous - the health benefits massively outweigh the risk of injury or death from RTCs. But what you're saying is the absolute argument for the LTNs and cycleways - as well as being objectively safe (which many who are opposed to LTNS and cycleways claim it already is), cycling needs to feel subjectively safe.

My daughter gets loads of exercise so not sure there would be many additional benefits health wise. But I’ve read about the risks but the fact is nearly everyone I know who regularly cycles has had a bad injury. I just wouldn’t take that risk for my daughter.

Again I support LTNs by and large but not the current one unless the buses can be sorted out.

My daughter gets loads of exercise so not sure there would be many additional benefits health wise. But I’ve read about the risks but the fact is nearly everyone I know who regularly cycles has had a bad injury. I just wouldn’t take that risk for my daughter.
most people are very poor at assessing risks.
I know this is for the US not the UK but similar is likely to apply for a lot of things.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 14.37.08.png

I’m only talking about this specific LTN. Up until now they have gone well I think. I think you’d struggle to meet many people who support the current one who live in and around it. I haven’t heard a single person who still supports it, even those who initially did. I was actually leaning towards support but worried that what has happened would happen.

I was also worried about a big increase in anti social behaviour if they closed off Hopton but they didn’t.
Yes me too, sorry I should have clarified. I live in it. Part of the problem is that those who speak up in any sort of support capacity are often shouted down, subjected to abuse. I stopped as me and my family were doxxed. It was quite scary. Kind of puts you off speaking out in support

Yes me too, sorry I should have clarified. I live in it. Part of the problem is that those who speak up in any sort of support are often shouted down, subjected to abuse. I stopped as me and my family were doxxed. It was quite scary. Kind of puts you off speaking out in support
So sorry to hear. Given the politics and views of the hard core antis it doesn’t surprise me.

Statistically speaking, you must have a selection of really, really, really unlucky friends. Or you're just making stuff up for impact.

Not sure what the point of this post is? It’s just a needless dig.

It’s hardly for impact. I’m just saying why I wouldn’t take my daughter cycling on roads. I don’t believe most people on bikes haven’t had an accident at some point. Obviously some are more serious than others. But off the top of my head I can think of two people who lost teeth, one who fractured their arm and another who fractured their jaw. There are others who just got very bad grazing. So fair enough that’s not a bad injury but still not great.

Sadly I know someone whose brother was killed by a car user (who was prosecuted and found guilty). However I think deaths are extremely rare.

Back
Top Bottom