Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Looks like the anti ULEZ blade runner types have given anti LTN people ideas I don't remember from 20-22 elsewhere.

Not a bad turn out.

He's also got a good pitch, being a man who lost his council seat in part because he was too busy wandering Lambeth

I knew Streatham Wells was a LTN too far.

On the plus side it's nice to see the new seating area built by Streatham BID being used for a community event.

Looks like the anti ULEZ blade runner types have given anti LTN people ideas I don't remember from 20-22 elsewhere.
The Tulse Hill one saw vandalism for a while after it came in. Not quite so extreme, but there was a few weeks of tit-for-tat signs being defaced or removed, cameras with paint thrown on them etc. It stopped after a while.

I knew Streatham Wells was a LTN too far.

I think we’ll have to wait and see. It has its challenges eg. Streatham High Rd being too bloody narrow to be a main road, but the basic aim of an LTN - that traffic should be on main roads until it’s destination should hold true everywhere.

Unfortunately most roads were built well before cars and so we’re having to retrofit and deal with the issue with the roads we have that were never designed for the issues we face.

The Tulse Hill one saw vandalism for a while after it came in. Not quite so extreme, but there was a few weeks of tit-for-tat signs being defaced or removed, cameras with paint thrown on them etc. It stopped after a while.

Yes I recall that. Tooling about with a metal cutter seems a bit of an escalation

Took the bus today to the Odeon and back middle of day and it was fine. No real difference with normal. But the south bound roadworks would likely gum up the southbound traffic somewhat during busier times.

This LTN in streatham wells is a joke. It’s added a massive chunk to my commute by bus whether I go via the high street or Leigham Court Road.

Of course the roads will be free flowing outside of commutes. But now buses are stuck in huge traffic jams.

It’s been like it every day since the LTN came in and the comments blaming road works are nonsense. It’s been like it on days where there hasn’t been any. And those stretches of roads constantly have them anyway.

This LTN in streatham wells is a joke. It’s added a massive chunk to my commute by bus whether I go via the high street or Leigham Court Road.

Of course the roads will be free flowing outside of commutes. But now buses are stuck in huge traffic jams.

It’s been like it every day since the LTN came in and the comments blaming road works are nonsense. It’s been like it on days where there hasn’t been any. And those stretches of roads constantly have them anyway.
Welcome brand new member. Curious to know why you think the roadworks on all 3 boundary roads didn't have any impact on traffic flow.

Bus stopped's comments echo what I've heard from others on the local grapevine.

Since buses are theoretically allowed through LTN gates why doesn't TFL re route through the LTNs at peak times? Just an idea

Since buses are theoretically allowed through LTN gates why doesn't TFL re route through the LTNs at peak times? Just an idea
Think (but don't know) that basis can go through LTN gates at will. Pretty sure the P15 does so

Like the idea but wonder if the LTN gates are suitable for double deckers? Are they wider?

No doubt roadworks are contributing but the buses are a nightmare, especially in the evening rush hour. The junction at streatham hill station seems a particularly bad spot.

I suppose we will have to see how the “trial” beds in but if the traffic continues and they can’t sort the buses out then it’s failed.

Obviously every sensible person want to see less cars on the road but I’m unconvinced this is the way.

They could re-route loads of buses, so that they don't stop along the main roads which is where most of the things people want to get to are, and do loads of detailed planning, and a whole load of infrastructure alterations and relocations to achieve this.

Or they could just wait a few weeks/months and see at that point whether buses are actually being slowed down by the LTN implementation, or whether in fact things have settled down and everyone has readjusted their travel patterns, like happens with pretty much every single intervention of this kind the world over, and has done over decades of experience.

Because there is weight limit within the Streatham Wells LTN area, the one bus that does go through the gates is single deck and actually smaller than a 'normal' single decker
Plus what he said ⬆️

It took a month for Uber to update their sat nav map for Brixton hill, so it’ll be similar in Streatham.

It’s only once the majority of satnavs adjust that you can see true impact.

Alex

Welcome brand new member. Curious to know why you think the roadworks on all 3 boundary roads didn't have any impact on traffic flow.

Of course it has an impact but there have been days since the LTN where that hasn’t been the case and it has still been terrible.

It’s adding a huge amount of time to my commute as a bus user.

I’m not against LTNs in and of themselves but if this carries on as it is then it’s gotta be reversed.

Of course it has an impact but there have been days since the LTN where that hasn’t been the case and it has still been terrible.

It’s adding a huge amount of time to my commute as a bus user.

I’m not against LTNs in and of themselves but if this carries on as it is then it’s gotta be reversed.
Where's your commute to/from and how much time do you think is being added?

It took a month for Uber to update their sat nav map for Brixton hill, so it’ll be similar in Streatham.

It’s only once the majority of satnavs adjust that you can see true impact.

Alex

The "true impact"?? You mean the immediate impact in and around the LTN. Never mind where that traffic gets rerouted to... who cares about that?

Where's your commute to/from and how much time do you think is being added?
Crown point area to Brixton. At the moment it’s adding at least 45 minutes each way. The traffic jams have been ridiculous.

If it calms down as some are saying then fair enough but I don’t get where all the traffic will go.

I think what makes the Streatham wells one a bit more controversial is that it increases pressure on two already very busy roads and some of the roads it closes to through traffic were previously taking large volumes of rush hour traffic. Valley road in particular.

I don't see how sat navs taking a few weeks to update will mean less traffic on the main roads, if anything would that not be the opposite? but let's hope so

Crown point area to Brixton. At the moment it’s adding at least 45 minutes each way. The traffic jams have been ridiculous.

If it calms down as some are saying then fair enough but I don’t get where all the traffic will go.

Some journeys will be displaced - people will keep driving but go a different route, either onto the new boundary roads or by taking a totally different route through a different area.

Some car journeys will evaporate through a number of mechanisms:
Some people will switch a journey to public transport, especially in London.
Some people will start cycling (or scooting or similar) a journey
Some people will start walking a journey

Some journeys will simply disappear and not be made at all, although I suspect this is a very small effect compared to changing modes of transport. It's a bigger effect if you consider measures that make leisure driving less attractive such as increased fuel costs or congestion charging.

For me this leaves two big questions:
1) What is the proportion of displacement vs evaporation
2) What is the effect of displacement on the locations that traffic is displaced to

The answer to 1) is consistently that there is more evaporation than displacement, the answer to 2) is much more contentious.

I live in Birmingham in an area where an LTN has been put in place and one of the biggest effects is a drop in school runs being done by car / increase in walking & cycling, especially at secondary schools. The LTN does enough to shift the convenience factor away from cars and towards walking and cycling for local residents, which in turn takes a lot of pressure off the main roads during rush hour. Additionally, the high street flows better now because the side roads are blocked and there aren't people turning in/out of those side roads, and the on street parking also largely went which has helped massively. So even if traffic volume has increased on that road, traffic flow has improved as a result of the LTN stopping people turning in/out of side roads (and parking spaces though the removal of those isn't strictly LTN I suppose but was/is part of the same planning).

I think what makes the Streatham wells one a bit more controversial is that it increases pressure on two already very busy roads and some of the roads it closes to through traffic were previously taking large volumes of rush hour traffic. Valley road in particular.

I don't see how sat navs taking a few weeks to update will mean less traffic on the main roads, if anything would that not be the opposite? but let's hope so

Sat navs being updated will do two things:
1) People won't get directed down dead ends, turn around and come back onto the main road - turning in/out of side roads disrupts the traffic flow making it worse whilst not affecting the volume
2) People will get directed on completely alternative routes going through different areas

If stopping rat running causes that many issues then we really are fucked. We shouldn’t have to rely on minor roads to take extra traffic. People have built there lives around car usage - it’ll take a while for this to adjust but it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done.

Back
Top Bottom