Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I hate this. There might be a genuine concern to be addressed but instead some arsehole's clearly spreading misinformation that taxis and ubers won't be allowed on certain roads to whip up anger and opposition. And the result is that people end up replying to consultations objecting to things that aren't going to happen, drowning out anything that's genuine that could be addressed.
I think reading between the lines they live on Harborough road.

Note this is a one way road and the proposal is for this to have a residents only filter.

So she is correct that she won't be able to get taxis to drop her off at her house, they would have to drop her at the filter.

I think reading between the lines they live on Harborough road.

Note this is a one way road and the proposal is for this to have a residents only filter.

So she is correct that she won't be able to get taxis to drop her off at her house, they would have to drop her at the filter.
That must be her road. And so she is correct.

Sunnyhill Road looks closed off on that.

She said there's a whole road petition and was sure it wouldn't be accessible. Of course I assumed she was mistaken but she was so sure.

I'm not from the area so apologies if I've missed something obvious but can't you access it from the place I've circled?

1677258101387.png

however Cat Fan seems likely to have found the actual answer.

Looking at Google street view It’s not actually a one way road, just no entry from sunny hill, presumably due to a historic rat running issue. It’s not narrow so surely the easiest answer (which the council may well be doing already) is just to suspend/remove the no entry restriction.

Last edited:
Looking at Google street view It’s not actually a one way road, just no entry from sunny hill, presumably due to a historic rat running issue. It’s not narrow so surely the easiest answer (which the council may well be going already) is just to suspend/remove the no entry restriction.
Yes, they're considering it as part of the consultation actually.

Interesting reading the comments, lots of people anti and very few pro.

Harborough Road and part of Sunnyhill Road are existing school streets, no through traffic Mon -Fri term times 8.15-9.15 and 3-4 pm.Residents in the school street area get an exemption for their vehicle. Maybe this is what she's talking about? The school street has been in place for over a year IIRC

Harborough Road and part of Sunnyhill Road are existing school streets, no through traffic Mon -Fri term times 8.15-9.15 and 3-4 pm.Residents in the school street area get an exemption for their vehicle. Maybe this is what she's talking about? The school street has been in place for over a year IIRC
No, she told me this already exists and has no problem with this. The new LTN proposal will close off her road at all times as it's already blocked off one side as it's a one way.

No, she told me this already exists and has no problem with this. The new LTN proposal will close off her road at all times as it's already blocked off one side as it's a one way.
Ah I see. I think the suggestion in the consultation was to make it two way at Sunnyhill Road but I've not seen any further info. It's actually not a one way street, just you can't enter it from Sunnyhill.
I'm not sure why they don't close off that and give Harborough residents access at all times (aside from school street times) via Valley Road. Seems the simplest solution rather than more APNR ....

Ah I see. I think the suggestion in the consultation was to make it two way at Sunnyhill Road but I've not seen any further info. It's actually not a one way street, just you can't enter it from Sunnyhill.
I'm not sure why they don't close off that and give Harborough residents access at all times (aside from school street times) via Valley Road. Seems the simplest solution rather than more APNR ....
I was wondering what that * was on the map at the junction/filter of Harborough and Valley Road (and why it was shown in blue)

Theres a note below the map on the commonplace site which says:
"The filter at Harborough Road exempts local access (i.e. for Harborough Road residents), and therefore needs to be accessed from Valley Road/Leigham Court road."

So it looks like your suggestion IS what was proposed. But residents have pointed out that this gives potential issues with taxis, deliveries and visitors. So based on this thread/the petition there are discussions about opening the bottom end instead.

That seems to make sense and is what the consolations are for - to tweak the designs to remove any specific issues.

[edit - I see what you mean - make the no-entry a filter rather than a one way and leave the top end open at Valley Road. That would presumably be another option.]

Details on this filter are below. They’re planning on making Harborough Rd so non residents will be able to access the road from Streatham Hill and go out that way.

I'm not sure why the whole road is up in arms and doing a petition, maybe because opening the other end to all vehicles is only a proposal not a given.
People being told they won’t be able to access their road obviously isn’t going to help. Malcolm Clark is a very good councillor imo and sounds like he’s taking the time to help. Hope you manage to reassure your friend.

I hate this. There might be a genuine concern to be addressed but instead some arsehole's clearly spreading misinformation that taxis and ubers won't be allowed on certain roads to whip up anger and opposition. And the result is that people end up replying to consultations objecting to things that aren't going to happen, drowning out anything that's genuine that could be addressed.

The good news is that any reply’s to consultation objecting to things which aren’t planned will be ignored, so this is great for anyone who is in favour of LTNs

This latest discussion has made me revisit the Streatham Wells LTN debate. Seems to be more resident pushback than with other LTNs. Petition with over 1000 signatures to pause implementation.

Particular concern over Leigham court road which already has +25% traffic from Streatham Hill LTN and has two major schools on it (plus a special needs school and two nurseries).

As a dad it does actually make me feel a bit queasy to think of all the extra pollution flowing into those settings.

Maybe traffic evaporation will happen one day but what about the kids of today? :(

This latest discussion has made me revisit the Streatham Wells LTN debate. Seems to be more resident pushback than with other LTNs. Petition with over 1000 signatures to pause implementation.

Particular concern over Leigham court road which already has +25% traffic from Streatham Hill LTN and has two major schools on it (plus a special needs school and two nurseries).

As a dad it does actually make me feel a bit queasy to think of all the extra pollution flowing into those settings.

Maybe traffic evaporation will happen one day but what about the kids of today? :(
We have a problem with pollution now and doing nothing is not an option. LTNs reduce road capacity and so leads to lower traffic levels. LCR is already at capacity most of the time so traffic will reroute.

LTNs are just part of the solution - ULEZ, road user pricing and pollution related parking controls are other parts and it’s very telling that most of the opposition to LTNs also oppose those.

Fact is that enabling rat running will only every increase pollution. It’s far too easy to drive in our city and it really shouldn’t be.

The thing that always confuses and/or annoys me is why the ire is always towards the traffic measures rather than the people who regularly make the traffic (discounting those who really need to use cars for accessibility reasons). It seems a very effective sleight of hand.

The thing that always confuses and/or annoys me is why the ire is always towards the traffic measures rather than the people who regularly make the traffic (discounting those who really need to use cars for accessibility reasons). It seems a very effective sleight of hand.
Exactly- we have such a car focussed culture that the problems it causes is always blamed on everything else except traffic - bike lanes, LTNs etc. Really wish drivers would take more ownership and deal with the problems they cause. It really is pathetic.

We have a problem with pollution now and doing nothing is not an option. LTNs reduce road capacity and so leads to lower traffic levels. LCR is already at capacity most of the time so traffic will reroute.

LTNs are just part of the solution - ULEZ, road user pricing and pollution related parking controls are other parts and it’s very telling that most of the opposition to LTNs also oppose those.

Fact is that enabling rat running will only every increase pollution. It’s far too easy to drive in our city and it really shouldn’t be.
None of that addresses the specific problem of LCR traffic affecting local schools, except your assertion that it's "already at capacity" with no evidence provided to back that up.

Your argument immediately falls away because the data shows +25% not +0%.

I can't speak for everyone but I'd rather do all the other anti pollution stuff first then introduce the Streatham Wells LTN later once the LCR pollution levels are under control. It's just common sense not to make a bad situation worse.

I hope the council looks at the data on this one very carefully after the trial, that's all.

None of that addresses the specific problem of LCR traffic affecting local schools, except your assertion that it's "already at capacity" with no evidence provided to back that up.

Your argument immediately falls away because the data shows +25% not +0%.

I can't speak for everyone but I'd rather do all the other anti pollution stuff first then introduce the Streatham Wells LTN later once the LCR pollution levels are under control. It's just common sense not to make a bad situation worse.

I hope the council looks at the data on this one very carefully after the trial, that's all.
If we want less traffic on LCR, which I think we all agree will be a good thing, the only solution is less drivers. Drivers need to take responsibility and where they are able swap out a journey made by private vehicle to foot, bus, bike etc or just not make that unnecessary trip.
This will also have the effect of making it easier for those who have to make journeys by car.

I'm interested to know what all the other anti pollution stuff you talk about actually is?

If we want less traffic on LCR, which I think we all agree will be a good thing, the only solution is less drivers. Drivers need to take responsibility and where they are able swap out a journey made by private vehicle to foot, bus, bike etc or just not make that unnecessary trip.
This will also have the effect of making it easier for those who have to make journeys by car.

I'm interested to know what all the other anti pollution stuff you talk about actually is?
The other stuff Ed was talking about "ULEZ, road user pricing and pollution related parking controls".

You're asking too much to ask people to take individual responsibility for a negative externality, our brains aren't capable. Game theory has proven this type of cooperation to prevent pollution is not a viable equilibrium state.

The answer therefore has to be more tax on drivers and stricter environmental standards. Maybe bring forward the ban on petrol vehicle sales to 2025 and raise taxes on petrol/diesel. I'd be in favour.

Not sure diverting cars from one big resi road (Valley road) to another (LCR) is going to make the tiniest difference to the number of drivers on the road but it does mean more traffic around some major schools. No "schools street" available when you're on a boundary road. :(

Exactly- we have such a car focussed culture that the problems it causes is always blamed on everything else except traffic - bike lanes, LTNs etc. Really wish drivers would take more ownership and deal with the problems they cause. It really is pathetic.
If that's meant to be a snipe at me, I barely ever drive and certainly not at peak times.

If it's meant to be tarring all anti LTNs with the same brush, then well done, just ignore the concerns of the many people against who don't own a car.

You're asking too much to ask people to take individual responsibility for a negative externality, our brains aren't capable. Game theory has proven this type of cooperation to prevent pollution is not a viable equilibrium state.
Well isn’t this one of the main ideas behind LTNs, whether they’ve succeeded or not? To make short journeys more of a hassle so drivers choose to use alternative ways of travelling?
Not sure diverting cars from one big resi road (Valley road) to another (LCR) is going to make the tiniest difference to the number of drivers on the road but it does mean more traffic around some major schools. No "schools street" available when you're on a boundary road. :(
Tbf one of my major concerns about the proposed Brixton Hill LTN is that it will do fuck all for a road that desperately needs to be a school road or at least have a zebra crossing :(

Well isn’t this one of the main ideas behind LTNs, whether they’ve succeeded or not? To make short journeys more of a hassle so drivers choose to use alternative ways of travelling?
Oh yes, 100%. But in areas where a lot of the traffic is through traffic like Streatham Wells then displacement is a major concern.

If that's meant to be a snipe at me, I barely ever drive and certainly not at peak times.

If it's meant to be tarring all anti LTNs with the same brush, then well done, just ignore the concerns of the many people against who don't own a car.
No - not meant as a snipe at you. But so many drivers only seem to care about pollution when it comes to measures that slightly inconvenience them. I’m not convinced there are many people against LTNs that don’t own cars and if they are it tends to be because they’ve been misinformed.

The answer therefore has to be more tax on drivers and stricter environmental standards. Maybe bring forward the ban on petrol vehicle sales to 2025 and raise taxes on petrol/diesel. I'd be in favour.
Great to hear it. But none of those things are on the cards right now and none are within the power of Lambeth.

A completely unsurprising number of the loudest voices against LTNs are currently being outraged by Lambeths proposal for increased parking charges (which would still be ludicrously low - surely it should cost a lot more than £2.30 a week to park a car on the public highway?), and are qualified enough about “fairness“ of road pricing that it’s obvious they’ll oppose that too.

Don‘t do the thing you can do now until someone else does something that will be opposed far more strongly is not a viable position

No - not meant as a snipe at you. But so many drivers only seem to care about pollution when it comes to measures that slightly inconvenience them. I’m not convinced there are many people against LTNs that don’t own cars and if they are it tends to be because they’ve been misinformed.
With regards to my friend yesterday, I don't think she is misinformed as more badly informed.
For an entire road to be up in arms and forming a petition from car and non car owners, I would assume the consultation has been poor (that wouldn't be a first) or the initial plan was to make Harborough Rd inaccessible (ill thought through, also a Lambeth trademark) or the option of opening the one way was only proposed as unlikely.
I'm a teacher and if one or two kids don't understand what I presented, there might be a slight obfuscation. When a whole class don't understand, it's cause I've done a shit job explaining.

Back
Top Bottom