Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

1676971220786.png
This scooter park featured in the strategy was recently being discussed in council as it has became the subject of regular neighbour complaints within a couple of weeks of being installed. Unlike the photo the scooters are more or less permanently all over the place properly blocking the pavement and sometimes the road. These things definitely need some thoughtful planning.

I am amazed at the way some people leave hire bikes parked across the width of the pavement, even on narrow streets like this. I came across one literally across a pedestrian crossing the other day. What are people thinking?!

View attachment 364012
This scooter park featured in the strategy was recently being discussed in council as it has became the subject of regular neighbour complaints within a couple of weeks of being installed. Unlike the photo the scooters are more or less permanently all over the place properly blocking the pavement and sometimes the road. These things definitely need some thoughtful planning.

I am amazed at the way some people leave hire bikes parked across the width of the pavement, even on narrow streets like this. I came across one literally across a pedestrian crossing the other day. What are people thinking?!
These scooters are everywhere in some parts of mainland Europe. In Sweden I've seen them left literally any stupid place you can think of. A lot of complaints about them in Paris as well.

There will now be a referendum to see if they will be permanently banned, despite numerous safety measures such as automatically being disabled when they enter public parks.

My pet hate is people riding escooters in public parks. If I recall correctly small children have been seriously injured as a result. They are banned but there are no "park police" to enforce it here.

Having never thought much of the idea of bike licensing / reg plates, I am coming to the conclusion that some sort of licensing should be introduced for commercial ebike delivery riders. There are so many more than there used to be, they are on heavier faster e-bikes. I don't think something along the lines of CBT with some additional training specific to deliveries (e.g. where to leave a bike on busy streets) would be unfair for a licence for commercial riding. Big fines for delivery companies using unlicensed riders or bikes which do not meet a minimum standard (e.g. adequate lights, brakes etc..). Perhaps if the bar was raised a little for delivery riders it would also make them more valuable to the industry.

Having never thought much of the idea of bike licensing / reg plates, I am coming to the conclusion that some sort of licensing should be introduced for commercial ebike delivery riders. There are so many more than there used to be, they are on heavier faster e-bikes. I don't think something along the lines of CBT with some additional training specific to deliveries (e.g. where to leave a bike on busy streets) would be unfair for a licence for commercial riding. Big fines for delivery companies using unlicensed riders or bikes which do not meet a minimum standard (e.g. adequate lights, brakes etc..). Perhaps if the bar was raised a little for delivery riders it would also make them more valuable to the industry.
Is there actually a problem with commercial e-bikers? The impression I get is that they are pretty well-behaved.

We should be encouraging as many delivery companies as possible to shift from vans to e-bikes and my fear is that this would be a barrier in the way of that.

Not everyone is driving all the time. The problem is mostly with peak time traffic (including school run). So maybe we should focus on ways to reduce reliance on cars for commuting and pick up/drop off.

The council is making owning a car more expensive for those without a driveway, fair enough but it's a blunt instrument it's not at all targeted and rich people will just pay it without thinking.
If only there was some way of making other forms of transport more attractive.

Most people will pay it without thinking, it’s the price of a couple of fill-ups.

Is there actually a problem with commercial e-bikers? The impression I get is that they are pretty well-behaved.

We should be encouraging as many delivery companies as possible to shift from vans to e-bikes and my fear is that this would be a barrier in the way of that.

thats probably what people said when petrol engines were not that common, and a lot slower than now.

Last edited:

Yes I'd say there is a general problem - like most things it's by no means everyone. I don't agree CBT type licence would be a big barrier - and having some sort of barrier to entry is probably not a bad thing for everyone's safety (including the riders'). Improving standards will only have a positive effect on demand.

Luckily with a more open mind than this board managed!
consider me dubious until it actually happens
  • these are reported as talks by one party.
  • nothing has been agreed and his estimate of any change is that it is at least 3 years away
  • it's not at all clear how the companies would be compelled to do this and it's not in their interest to. The company that doesn't will have a perceived advantage and there would always be a big incentive for a new entrant to ignore the 'rules'.

Met up with a friend today who doesn't drive and never has. Next proposed LTN will prevent any driving down her road. She will no longer be able to get a taxi to her front door unless it's a black cab when she returns from work with bags of equipment. Her neighbours daughters will not be able to get an Uber home late at night. Another neighbour is disabled and uses cabs, another uses hire cars - both will be unable to get to their doorsteps unless they buy a car and get registered with a permit.
How does this even seem sensible any more?

Met up with a friend today who doesn't drive and never has. Next proposed LTN will prevent any driving down her road. She will no longer be able to get a taxi to her front door unless it's a black cab when she returns from work with bags of equipment. Her neighbours daughters will not be able to get an Uber home late at night. Another neighbour is disabled and uses cabs, another uses hire cars - both will be unable to get to their doorsteps unless they buy a car and get registered with a permit.
I haven't seen an LTN yet where there are zero cars allowed on the road so I'd be interested to see it.

That’s not an LTN. Where is it?

I haven't seen an LTN yet where there are zero cars allowed on the road so I'd be interested to see it.
I asked her repeatedly if she was sure. I think she lives near or on Sunnyhill Road. She is not a driver and was pro LTN so no vested interest in car ownership.

streathamwellsltn.jpg

According to this map it's accessible from Streatham High Road. Sounds like someone's been feeding your friend nonsense. There's a lot of it about.

Driving on Leigham court road will continue to be fun post the Streatham Wells LTN. Only "main road" in the area that is littered with parked cars and speed bumps.

I hate this. There might be a genuine concern to be addressed but instead some arsehole's clearly spreading misinformation that taxis and ubers won't be allowed on certain roads to whip up anger and opposition. And the result is that people end up replying to consultations objecting to things that aren't going to happen, drowning out anything that's genuine that could be addressed.

Back
Top Bottom