Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Responses so far are fully in accord with car industry requirements - don't get rid of cars - just restrict their use.
BTW love the way Raphael House on Coldharbour Lane (also Metropolitan like Moorlands) was rebuilt with car parking on the ground floor to replace a furniture store.
london-fire-brigade-second-brixton-riots-7637157.jpg.webp

View attachment 360773
Good news! Planning regulations have changed since then and most new developments have no parking!!

Last edited:
I'd be totally on board with confiscating and crushing cars at random but I'd rather we had policies that gave people other options and made those options more tempting.
Giving people other options, eh? But not public transport options because you hate those just as much as cars? :confused:

Sorry gran, no bus pass for you. On your bike.

Responses so far are fully in accord with car industry requirements - don't get rid of cars - just restrict their use.
BTW love the way Raphael House on Coldharbour Lane (also Metropolitan like Moorlands) was rebuilt with car parking on the ground floor to replace a furniture store.
Most of the cars inside haven't moved for years, if not decades

brixton-street-photos-nov-2018-15.jpg

BTW, Southwyck House has a whole abandoned floor for parking (the mysterious level 2)

BTW, Southwyck House has a whole abandoned floor for parking (the mysterious level 2)
God that’s shocking - a reason why all parking should be paid for. Constant stream of abandoned cars on St Martin’s Estate that the HAs can’t be bothered to do anything about.

Wow, that’s absurd, never knew that. Could the space be used for something useful? Like flats to house people even?!

Reactions: CH1
Amazing how these people get upset about having to comply with ULEZ but seemingly have no problem with using London's road system without contributing a penny to TFL.

Also pretty shocking stat about the 150,000 fines issued to outside of London drivers with 50,000 still unpaid for the current ULEZ.

Edit: 150k just in Kent, Sussex and Surrey, who knows how many across the whole of non-London UK

Here is some kind of new anti-LTN entity

presented with an obviously deliberate image of sensible/serious.

Their "mission statement" says they will develop and promote policies. If they actually do that, and the policies are not just "scrap LTNs" then that will set them aside from most other groups.

The mission of Social and Environmental Justice is to develop and promote environmental and social policies and practices which benefit ALL communities. We actively engage with groups which currently are often excluded from the discourse in drawing up these policies to ensure their voices are heard and their views and desires are included in policy.

Through research, advocacy and campaigning, we will highlight the social & environmental impact of policies on our diverse communities. We will work to include views of under-represented groups including those with protected characteristics. We will seek solutions which ensure that historic injustices borne by poorer people and people of colour are not replicated and build a multi-disciplinary network across local and national community organizations to help advance these objectives.

Their "mission statement" says they will develop and promote policies. If they actually do that, and the policies are not just "scrap LTNs" then that will set them aside from most other groups.
Here are the directors

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127-141050.png
    Screenshot_20230127-141050.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 40

It’s depressing how much energy John Stewart is putting into opposing LTNs on flawed assumptions - that they increase pollution on boundary roads and boundary roads are where poorer households live. He presents no evidence for either of these.

Benefits of LTNs are also for all not just those who live on those streets. People don’t just stick to their own road! And there’s tons of social housing within LTNs.

For some it’s easy to come up with a view that people supporting LTNs just want their own road to be quiet which is far from the truth.

If he really cares about social justice maybe he should wonder why his allies on this are right wing commentators & local Tories!

Palace Road estate in West Norwood also has some weird closed off car parking too. Seems too small for modern cars to use it anymore.

Palace Road estate in West Norwood also has some weird closed off car parking too. Seems too small for modern cars to use it anymore.
Most of the houses have garages which have been converted. Of course then everyone just parks their cars outside and makes it awful to walk there. It’s basically a land grab. Where was the consultation on that! 🙄

Genuinely curious what they will propose on Amesbury Avenue. Parklet would be a mistake when it's a stone's throw from an actual park. Community space would be a mistake when the St. Margaret's hall community space is nearby. What's left?

I personally think they could have chosen a space adjacent to either St. Margaret's or the park to maximise the community value and provide some synergy with existing community spaces.

What's more, the spaces they want to take away are widely used, while some of the ones next to the park/church are mostly unused. Go figure.

I was randomly watching one of those dire property shows and they were showing a 1960s set of garages built next to a housing block that were now redundant because modern cars were now too big to fit.

Genuinely curious what they will propose on Amesbury Avenue. Parklet would be a mistake when it's a stone's throw from an actual park. Community space would be a mistake when the St. Margaret's hall community space is nearby. What's left?

I personally think they could have chosen a space adjacent to either St. Margaret's or the park to maximise the community value and provide some synergy with existing community spaces.

What's more, the spaces they want to take away are widely used, while some of the ones next to the park/church are mostly unused. Go figure.

So nothing should be done to make this space next to the shops any greener or more inviting because theres a bench 200m away round the corner behind some housing in a park that closes 15minutes before sunset?

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 18.27.52.png

Do you think Atlantic Road has been improved? I notice that work has started to extend the stuff on the left along the full length of the shops now.
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 18.36.16.png
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 18.36.05.png

Strange that no one ever questions why we need parking everywhere when there’s some around the corner but people are always saying that about parks.

Pavement widening, planting & benches would be great there. I’m sure they’ll be some parking/loading spaces there as well.

So nothing should be done to make this space next to the shops any greener or more inviting because theres a bench 200m away round the corner behind some housing in a park that closes 15minutes before sunset?
That's not what I said, I just think out of the entire LTN they're only improving one place and it's an odd place to improve.

There are already significant problems with graffiti, fly tipping and dog fouling in the area so there's a danger whatever gets installed will be a magnet for more litter and graffiti.

The council was supposed to redesign Hillside Passage around the corner as well, and that's not been followed through.

The plants have died in all the planters that the council put in over the last two years in the neighbourhood and many have been vandalised. I just don't see the point in spending money installing things without having a plan for their ongoing care and maintenance.

Strange that no one ever questions why we need parking everywhere when there’s some around the corner but people are always saying that about parks.

Pavement widening, planting & benches would be great there. I’m sure they’ll be some parking/loading spaces there as well.
Parks only work if they're big enough to kick a ball. Literally no one uses parklets.

Pavement widening - have a look on street view or better yet go for a walk/cycle and you will see it's already so wide they had to put in concrete bollards to stop cars mounting.

Planting - see my comments above about vandalism on Hillside road and surrounding area. Ideally they would put in some bigger trees, but that wouldn't work on the arcade because of the flats above the shops.

Benches - you might get the odd person sitting and drinking lager they have bought from the Londis but that's not going to improve the area much sadly :(

Check out the comments on the survey, lots of concern about this stuff

I was randomly watching one of those dire property shows and they were showing a 1960s set of garages built next to a housing block that were now redundant because modern cars were now too big to fit.
When I had a car I remember looking at a garage to rent in Blenheim Gardens estate. Good job I took my tape measure as my car (a ford estate, nothing fancy, defo not an SUV) wouldn't have fitted! Cars, like people were smaller back in the day.....

Benches - you might get the odd person sitting and drinking lager they have bought from the Londis but that's not going to improve the area much sadly :(
Sorry but really hate these sort of comments. It’s not up to transport/street planners to design out social problems. Lack of benches is awful for the elderly/infirm that anti-LTNers claim to care so much about.

Also, this is not the only area their looking at in this LTN - they’re also doing Place Rd/Daysbrook Rd. Seem to have chosen 2 per LTN - one near shops and one redesigning a filter. Presumably this is because of budget/resources but hopefully they’ll do others in the future.

Sorry but really hate these sort of comments. It’s not up to transport/street planners to design out social problems. Lack of benches is awful for the elderly/infirm that anti-LTNers claim to care so much about.

Also, this is not the only area their looking at in this LTN - they’re also doing Place Rd/Daysbrook Rd. Seem to have chosen 2 per LTN - one near shops and one redesigning a filter. Presumably this is because of budget/resources but hopefully they’ll do others in the future.
Ah yes, that's right, sorry.

It's more that I think the money would be better spent on fixing up and maintaining the existing bits of LTN infrastructure and Hillside Passage, which have fallen into neglect or on general cleaning up of the area.

It's not as sexy as building a bunch of new things in former car parking spaces, but simple cleaning or enforcement against fly tipping would make a more positive impact.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they will knock my socks off with their proposals.

Isn't it the same approach as in Railton and Oval? I dont' think they consulted on all of the filters in those LTNs at the same time, but they have now and all of the filters are having the wooden planters replaced with permanent road changes AND there are some areas (sensibly focused near businesses so that they benefit) that are not filters that are being improved (as on Atlantic Road)

Ah yes, that's right, sorry.

It's more that I think the money would be better spent on fixing up and maintaining the existing bits of LTN infrastructure and Hillside Passage, which have fallen into neglect or on general cleaning up of the area.

It's not as sexy as building a bunch of new things in former car parking spaces, but simple cleaning or enforcement against fly tipping would make a more positive impact.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they will knock my socks off with their proposals.
I broadly agree here. Top of the list when I responded to the consultation to the filter design for upper tulse hill was "make sure motorbikes can't mount the pavement" but second was "don't build something that needs ongoing maintenance" because it's just not realistic to expect from Lambeth.

Pocket Parks are a terrible idea IMO. Unless there's clear ownership/maintenance then they're just destined to be litter bins.

When I had a car I remember looking at a garage to rent in Blenheim Gardens estate. Good job I took my tape measure as my car (a ford estate, nothing fancy, defo not an SUV) wouldn't have fitted! Cars, like people were smaller back in the day.....
When my Mum first bought a house in the UK it was a 60s semi in Kent with a built in garage. She bought a Volvo which did just about fit into the garage; but no one could get out of the car. By the time I had a Mini the garage was full of junk and remained so til she sold up and moved back to Australia.

Back
Top Bottom