Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

So, 55k profit then? I suppose it bepends how you mean management costs. Could just be third party security or cover every cost for the event. I don’t know. I had a chat with him about this and he was generally pissed off that he couldn’t get any kind of straight answer from them or clarification of how these costs were defined.

He seemed ok with it when it was the farmers market event (which was much more of a family event and which I pointed out definitely lost money) but was annoyed that he could get an answer about profit and that it was no longer as family focussed. I don’t think that really bothers me hugely (although I would probably prefer the over all family event I think as it was a nice community event) but the lack of transparency (when you dig into some of the details) is frustrating for a number of people

£350k+ - £45k does not equal £55k. Hope you’ve managed to pay the correct sum for Sofia’s invoice!

Anyway - head over here if you want to discuss further: Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake & Field Day festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

Minus the 100k costs as well for park investment? So 205k income, or profit.

Yup Lambeth costs paid, just as I told you they would be

Not sure how the £100k could be described as costs. The organises have to pay to repair any damage caused by the event.

Do you know what Lambeth’s profit/loss was from the court costs?

My understanding of Lambeth events on Clapham Common is that the remediation is fully paid for by the event organiser, rather than a fixed budget.

I have always believed in high quality cheap, even free public transport.
Even if public transport was super efficient & free I think most people that drive now would still drive.
The issue would be tube capacity - free buses would make a lot more sense - simplistically more people on buses means less cars ( In lots of the country )

Saw someone post some research on free public transport and is appears to be counter productive in many ways. Expensive, worsens experience for existing users and doesn't result in shift from trips that are currently driven.

three papers - but this is the most recent, from European cities,
IMG_0463.jpeg

Last edited:
Saw someone post some research on free public transport and is appears to be counter productive in many ways. Expensive, worsens experience for existing users and doesn't result in shift from trips that are currently driven.

three papers - but this is the most recent, from European cities,
View attachment 325704
The middle one comes from Florida - using old data from the early 1990s. Florida is a state where even Anglican vicars belong to gun clubs - as such would query the ethics of this report.
One sample conclusion being that free fares would lead to "nuisance riders" - just like large benches in Windrush Square.

The first report is on a faulty link.
The third one seems supports edcraw - big increase in ridership by people who would otherwise walk.
Massive obesity explosion.

The middle one comes from Florida - using old data from the early 1990s. Florida is a state where even Anglican vicars belong to gun clubs - as such would query the ethics of this report.
One sample conclusion being that free fares would lead to "nuisance riders" - just like large benches in Windrush Square.

The first report is on a faulty link.
The third one seems supports edcraw - big increase in ridership by people who would otherwise walk.
Massive obesity explosion.
Link corrected in first one but it's a not the best data source.
The attitudes to 'undesirables' in the second are pretty unpleasant but I don't think that changes the findings, nor does the age of the paper as far as I can see.

The third is the definitely the most comprehensive. Also potentially relevant to the U16 free bus passes we have in London now - there are potentially negative side effects from many policies that seem attractive or popular.

The key thing is it completely fails as a way of reducing car use - price of public transport is clearly not the barrier to use for city public transport use.

Link corrected in first one but it's a not the best data source.
The attitudes to 'undesirables' in the second are pretty unpleasant but I don't think that changes the findings, nor does the age of the paper as far as I can see.

The third is the definitely the most comprehensive. Also potentially relevant to the U16 free bus passes we have in London now - there are potentially negative side effects from many policies that seem attractive or popular.

The key thing is it completely fails as a way of reducing car use - price of public transport is clearly not the barrier to use for city public transport use.
The Covid campaign certainly cut passengers though - only one per seat, none near the driver etc.
So I guess you must be angling for an information campaign aimed at drivers "is that journey really necessary?"
Perhaps the only democratic way of enforcing driver controls would be road pricing.

The Covid campaign certainly cut passengers though - only one per seat, none near the driver etc.
So I guess you must be angling for an information campaign aimed at drivers "is that journey really necessary?"
Perhaps the only democratic way of enforcing driver controls would be road pricing.

Definitely think some sort of road pricing is needed even if it’s just a flat fee of a few quid a day to make people think a bit more. The money would be huge for TfL. Seems that the mayor looked at it though and has chosen otherwise. Imagine the backlash would be HUGE!

Reactions: CH1
They're planning on extending ULEZ to all of London. It's exactly the flat fee per day that you're proposing except limited to the most polluting vehicles only.

Maybe once it's in place though they can gradually expand it to cover more and more types of vehicles, the tech will be there.

How can you take that from what I’ve written? This was purely some research that seems to show free public transport is a bad idea in most situations

Personally I think most information campaigns are a waste of money. Asking people nicely to drive less / cycle more / obey the speed limit doesn’t seem to have been a successful strategy up to now.

Definitely think some sort of road pricing is needed even if it’s just a flat fee of a few quid a day to make people think a bit more. The money would be huge for TfL. Seems that the mayor looked at it though and has chosen otherwise. Imagine the backlash would be HUGE!
Main roads in London are maintained by TfL which means they are paid for out of TfL budget rather than from central govt (unlike everywhere else in the UK).

This of course means that while bus fares contribute to road maintenance, private motorists are free-loading! Time for them to pay up!

Report of big new report from Centre for London on LTNs.

• cycling up and driving down in LTNs
  • road casualty decrease within LTNs
  • more time needed to measure displacement but looks unlikely
  • no evidence that policy harms poor and benefits rich; demographics inside and outside zones broadly matched
  • councils should have done better with consultation/explanation
  • should now introduce other measures to complement eg toad pricing/more segregated cycle lanes

Report of big new report from Centre for London on LTNs.

• cycling up and driving down in LTNs
  • road casualty decrease within LTNs
  • more time needed to measure displacement but looks unlikely
  • no evidence that policy harms poor and benefits rich; demographics inside and outside zones broadly matched
  • councils should have done better with consultation/explanation
  • should now introduce other measures to complement eg toad pricing/more segregated cycle lanes

So it's official. Toad pricing ... are there no limits to this madness?!

If it ain't croak don't fix it.

I see the cameras/planters etc have been removed from Streatham hill and tulse hill LTN because the legislation expired. New permanent changes being written but it’s back to 2019 for the moment. Explains why a couple of extra planters arrived in Railton this week and are being used by Sam the wheels.

First draft of the permanent designs for the rest of the Railton filters are on the website now. Shakespeare Road especially looks like it will make it a really nice spot. I wonder if whoever it is cuts down all the flowers in the planters will keep it up when the permanent planting is in.

mv5y7wrmq6q2tegq921n.jpg

First draft of the permanent designs for the rest of the Railton filters are on the website now. Shakespeare Road especially looks like it will make it a really nice spot. I wonder if whoever it is cuts down all the flowers in the planters will keep it up when the permanent planting is in.

View attachment 327019
Yes I saw that and sort of wondered how the emergency services/bin lorries/exempted vehicles are going to negotiate through all those plants

View attachment 327019
It's an interesting one, very ambitious to aim for a new "workshop space" under the bridge, with no amenities such as food/public toilets nearby and the chance that an exempt vehicle could drive through at any moment.

Fingers crossed it's well looked after and loved by the community. I doubt the council will spend money on regularly maintaining it so it may come down to volunteers.

It's an interesting one, very ambitious to aim for a new "workshop space" under the bridge, with no amenities such as food/public toilets nearby and the chance that an exempt vehicle could drive through at any moment.

what do you do with a space under a bridge. Nothings going to grow. a good place for a hire bike station?

there shouldn’t be many vehicles driving through. I’ve never seen a bin lorry using it. Biggest issue is the supposely large number of criminals driving on cloned plates. This was in private eye recently.
8A3B632A-D07E-497C-B822-C877217F6BE4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom