Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Notice that the same people that tell you to go and live in a village when you complain about our neighbourhoods being over run by cars also complain about music from the festivals in Brockwell Park disrupting their peace & quiet 🤔

Notice that the same people that tell you to go and live in a village when you complain about our neighbourhoods being over run by cars also complain about music from the festivals in Brockwell Park disrupting their peace & quiet 🤔
Not entirely sure about that. The people who really support the LTNs on my road are also very annoyed about the music/use of in the Park. I’m not actually that close but it’s is very loud but most people seem annoyed about the fact that it’s on for so long but there is only 15k spend on remedial work which they expect won’t be enough. They’ve also complained led that the council won’t say if it will make a profit or not.

Completely different issues it seems with different supporters/detractors. Mostly around us it’s been parents with young kids feeling that their local amenity is being used, without guarantee of pecuniary benefit and without it being put back to how it was

Not entirely sure about that. The people who really support the LTNs on my road are also very annoyed about the music/use of in the Park. I’m not actually that close but it’s is very loud but most people seem annoyed about the fact that it’s on for so long but there is only 15k spend on remedial work which they expect won’t be enough. They’ve also complained led that the council won’t say if it will make a profit or not.

Completely different issues it seems with different supporters/detractors. Mostly around us it’s been parents with young kids feeling that their local amenity is being used, without guarantee of pecuniary benefit and without it being put back to how it was

Yes - different issues. But many tell LTN supporters they need to put up with busy traffic in a city and then complain about disruption from this.

Here’s the council’s info sheet including how much money they get for it.
8B2F304B-6905-4508-A92C-65CF8EFE5962.jpeg

Yes - different issues. But many tell LTN supporters they need to put up with busy traffic in a city and then complain about disruption from this.

Here’s the council’s info sheet including how much money they get for it.
View attachment 325567
Interesting. The guy on our road who used to work for the council and is always very positive said that, when he has tried to find out specifically what they are getting this year, they won’t answer. I suppose the figures above are non specific, undefined and don’t state how long the period covers. Last year, last 15? You won’t know either I suppose. The only reason I was interested is that he thinks everything the council does is generally great, including labour/cabinet councillors, but the amount they were getting from this vs remedial work seemed to cause him concern and he was annoyed that he could get a straight answer, just number like above

Interesting. The guy on our road who used to work for the council and is always very positive said that, when he has tried to find out specifically what they are getting this year, they won’t answer. I suppose the figures above are non specific, undefined and don’t state how long the period covers. Last year, last 15? You won’t know either I suppose. The only reason I was interested is that he thinks everything the council does is generally great, including labour/cabinet councillors, but the amount they were getting from this vs remedial work seemed to cause him concern and he was annoyed that he could get a straight answer, just number like above

The money’s all from this year - the info sheet relates to this year only.

More information here as well including confirmation of the.above:

Always a lot of suspicion towards the council but answers are generally out there and councillors very responsive to any queries.

Anyway very off topic - let’s get back on. Can you say why OneLambeth is using footage of a cycle lane in its fundraising video?

The money’s all from this year - the info sheet relates to this year only.

More information here as well including confirmation of the.above:

Always a lot of suspicion towards the council but answers are generally out there and councillors very responsive to any queries.

Anyway very off topic - let’s get back on. Can you say why OneLambeth is using footage of a cycle lane in its fundraising video?
Yup, he was looking at expected profit and was frustrated that no one would give a figure.

As to your question, no.

Also, it's true that Lambeth can be pretty opaque about stuff and that was a legitimate objection to some of the LTN info too. It bothered me at times, as someone who basically wants to support the interventions but had to go digging for stuff myself in order to answer various arguments against them. The decision making process that led to the eventual policy on blue badge exemptions is just one example of this.

Sitting on my balcony in Dalberg Rd getting a double whammy. Being forced to listen to yet more music other people like from the park and being forced to breath in increased exhaust particulates from displaced traffic due the Railton LTN. Happy Bank Holiday!!!

Well hope you pass on the info above that sets it out then.
I would if it was profit based rather than income. They could bring in £1m in income and still make a loss that’s the point. With the council is all about the exact wording they use. This was why he was annoyed as there was no answer to the profit figure. Only one based on income which (most people assume) equates to profit.

I would if it was profit based rather than income. They could bring in £1m in income and still make a loss that’s the point. With the council is all about the exact wording they use. This was why he was annoyed as there was no answer to the profit figure. Only one based on income which (most people assume) equates to profit.

Not sure what you mean - this is the relevant bit here:

1AAA51F8-17E5-49FC-AAEE-2B64053B5BA4.jpeg

Income is not profit is it. No. So, you can ring fence the £100k and make a loss. Have a look at the above and tell me how much profit is being made from the event. That’s the point my neighbour was making. Can you tell him from the relevant bit above?

The income is the income of the council not the event overall and they say they expect around £45k for their costs.

The income is the income of the council not the event overall and they say they expect around £45k for their costs.
So, 55k profit then? I suppose it bepends how you mean management costs. Could just be third party security or cover every cost for the event. I don’t know. I had a chat with him about this and he was generally pissed off that he couldn’t get any kind of straight answer from them or clarification of how these costs were defined.

He seemed ok with it when it was the farmers market event (which was much more of a family event and which I pointed out definitely lost money) but was annoyed that he could get an answer about profit and that it was no longer as family focussed. I don’t think that really bothers me hugely (although I would probably prefer the over all family event I think as it was a nice community event) but the lack of transparency (when you dig into some of the details) is frustrating for a number of people

Back
Top Bottom