Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

It's the big yellow signs rather than the no entry traffic signs. I don't think those are enforceable as it is not clear where ahead the road is closed.
it's the 'no motor vehicles' signs on posts that mean motors legally cant drive though and they are in place. The yellow signs are just information

it's the 'no motor vehicles' signs on posts that mean motors legally cant drive though and they are in place. The yellow signs are just information
Yep - and there are none.

Not that they are stopping much traffic where they have been installed on St Matthews Road, anyway.

Fines start 27th July I think.

Traffic has reduced (or at least that’s my anecdata from looking out of the window for the last few days).

waze is updated so far fewer private hire cars.

Better signs are needed on Hurst Street as most drivers turning off Dulwich Road onto Hurst and then left on to Railton to get to Brixton and generally don’t bother following the give way sign or white lines. This means they get outside 198 gallery and then u-turn.

Loads more pedestrians and cyclists.

You might want to go and have another look - they have been in place since the weekend in the places the website said they would be
I just walked past it specifically to see if it was there. I will be heading back there later with a desk I've been having lovingly repaired later and will check again! ;)

In front of the house of the older lady which now has scaffolding up and then opposite by the phone box.
Yep - I totally missed them. I may even have been stood right under one! They're quite tall. Much less conspicuous than the St Matthews Road ones which are set into the road itself rather than the pavement, narrowing it. And there are no planters. It would appear that drivers are not noticing them either. It was pretty much traffic as usual.

Blimey 😬

There is a Zoom meeting of representatives from each street this evening. Not sure how they were chosen.
The organisers have made a survey to gather opinions from people who live and work in the zone.

I think it is just to inform the meeting so responses would presumably need to be in by this afternoon.

Not sure whether there is a representative from St Matthews Road - the road is not actually mentioned in the survey.

I just noticed something in the scheme description which is different to what I'd understood:

Railton Road and the surrounding side roads will be fully accessible by vehicle from one direction or the other but most vehicles will not be able to drive through, end to end. Essential vehicle movements such as; emergency services, 322 bus, blue badge holders, dial-a-ride (including other mobility support services) and refuse collection will still be able to use the street as they do now.

Hadn't realised that blue badge holders will be able to pass through the 'gates' too.

Guy’s & St Thomas’ have just come out in support of Lambeth’s transport strategy.
Is that surprising? Isn't Lambeth one of their designated "test bed" boroughs for researching different ideas?

(That's not an argument against it - just like well ... duh! :D )

Guy’s & St Thomas’ have just come out in support of Lambeth’s transport strategy.

Thats the managers of Guys and St Thomas. Not the workers.

I heard the workers at Guys were not happy about introduction of CPZ zones nearby.

All these green measures need to take into account that workers bear the brunt of this.

I thought NHS staff were exempt from it for now.

But anyway, why are we worrying about the NHS workers who own a car instead of all the ones who don't?

I thought NHS staff were exempt from it for now.

But anyway, why are we worrying about the NHS workers who own a car instead of all the ones who don't?

Thought nurses were all heroes we should support?

Boris deal that he forced on TFL and Mayor meant exemptions went.

Still a few cars driving through the Herne Hill end gate. But it is bloody peaceful otherwise!

Thought nurses were all heroes we should support?

Boris deal that he forced on TFL and Mayor meant exemptions went.
It seems you can get a reimbursement for journeys to and from work if you are dealing with the coronavirus outbreak (however that is defined):

I don't really know why NHS staff should get special treatment to be honest; there are lots of other people doing essential work who have to travel in and out of central London and many of them will not be as well paid. It simply doesn't work if everyone tries to drive.

It seems you can get a reimbursement for journeys to and from work if you are dealing with the coronavirus outbreak (however that is defined):

I don't really know why NHS staff should get special treatment to be honest; there are lots of other people doing essential work who have to travel in and out of central London and many of them will not be as well paid. It simply doesn't work if everyone tries to drive.

The nurse is article reckons she does not get it.

My underlying point is that when someone says something like Guys support such and such. its the management who are saying this.

One of the thing about the pandemic is that workers are important and needed. They should be treated with more respect.

The workers should get more of a voice.

It was posted that Guys and Thomas support Lambeth transport plans. Turns out this is management. Goes unremarked.

If clapping for nurses or calling them heroes is to mean anything in the future things are going to have to change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom