Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

You can’t really accuse someone else of ableism when you use the phrase “suffered” in your next sentence...
I don’t think that follows. My dad definitely said that he suffered as a result of his disability. This is personal and I’m going from my experiences but he said he suffered and others I know have also said that. Nice that you’re jumping on my comment rather than one of the other previous posts which was more incendiary.

Last edited:
Talking about Pimlico Plumbers I was thinking how incredibly inefficient their way of working is. They operate from a single base (not in Pimlico) and individual plumbers travel all over London with a van which is basically a workshop with 3 ladders on the roof whilst mainly responding to small domestic tasks. Think how much needless pollution this is causing as opposed to a local plumber not least this guy on a cargo bike: This Plumber Conducts 95% of His Business by Cargo Bike

They're able to do this exactly because we don't have restrictions to stop this or charge the relevant costs for the damage done by driving around with all this needless equipment. It's only surprising that they could only find £300 for a donation tbh.

Talking about Pimlico Plumbers I was thinking how incredibly inefficient their way of working is. They operate from a single base (not in Pimlico) and individual plumbers travel all over London with a van which is basically a workshop with 3 ladders on the roof whilst mainly responding to small domestic tasks. Think how much needless pollution this is causing as opposed to a local plumber not least this guy on a cargo bike: This Plumber Conducts 95% of His Business by Cargo Bike

Have you seen how much Pimlico plumbers charge ?

Indeed - used them once in an emergency at work and won't again. I think they try and present themselves as some plucky little business but they really aren't.

They have very good brand recognition, and bearing in mind how infrequently most people need their services - this probably works well for them.

They have very good brand recognition, and bearing in mind how infrequently most people need their services - this probably works well for them.

Yep - but as I mentioned extremely inefficient and causing tons of pollution compared to local plumbers. There are sites now & Google that make it much easier to find local services now.

The anti-LTN harp on about pollution but never when it’s things like huge vans driving around with equipment they never need (3 ladders!) or all these bloody massive SUVs and we all know why that is.

From some of the above posts it looks like Pimlico Plumbers are to LTN lovers what Tim Martin & Wetherspoons are to Remainers.
By which I mean poison may be vented at will, deserved or undeserved, as balm to the soul.

Personally I'm on the threshold of using Pimlico Plumbers. My washing machine broke down right at the start of the Covid lockdown, I live in a controlled traffic zone where normal people can't park without a dispensation from the Pope, and my kitchen, where the dead washing machine is located resembles the cellar of The Pit and the Pendulum.

I reckon the only firm who can extract the dead machine from my dungeon and replace with a shiny new Korean long-life model has got to be Charlie Mullin's Pimlico Plumbers! Might even get a donation to the Lib Dems thrown in for free.

From some of the above posts it looks like Pimlico Plumbers are to LTN lovers what Tim Martin & Wetherspoons are to Remainers.
By which I mean poison may be vented at will, deserved or undeserved, as balm to the soul.

Personally I'm on the threshold of using Pimlico Plumbers. My washing machine broke down right at the start of the Covid lockdown, I live in a controlled traffic zone where normal people can't park without a dispensation from the Pope, and my kitchen, where the dead washing machine is located resembles the cellar of The Pit and the Pendulum.

I reckon the only firm who can extract the dead machine from my dungeon and replace with a shiny new Korean long-life model has got to be Charlie Mullin's Pimlico Plumbers! Might even get a donation to the Lib Dems thrown in for free.

Good luck - do let us know how you get on. Or maybe support a local business 🤷‍♂️

Good luck - do let us know how you get on. Or maybe support a local business 🤷‍♂️

local plumbers or tradesmen generally are very thin on the ground atm, and the few there are are very busy...one even recommended me to contact Pimlico plumbers lol, this kind of explains all the vans heading out of town along the Brixton Road at home time........my advice if you are stuck CH1 maybe try using“ nextdoor “ which seems as good a place as any to start looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
local plumbers or tradesmen generally are very thin on the ground atm, and the few there are are very busy...one even recommended me to contact Pimlico plumbers lol, this kind of explains all the vans heading out of town along the Brixton Road at home time........my advice if you are stuck CH1 maybe try using“ nextdoor “ which seems as good a place as any to start looking.
Thanks for trying to help.
The NexrDoor web service is not compatible with only having a landline - i.e NOT a mobile, whose billing address they verify????
I've tried it - and BT/Plusnet do valiantly try to give you the 4 digit code verbally at 200 mph, but it doesn't work anyway.
It seems a bit creepy actually - or intrusive. Do they end up asking how much you van Goghs are worth?

One of my friends has suggested a plumber - but I need more than just someone to connect the pipes. This is a heavy manual job here.

Last time I had something like this was around 2012 when I had to replace the 20 year old boiler.
British Gas were amazing - like the engineer totally destroyed the old boiler's pressure switch (needed to initiate the fire-up sequence) then kindly put me on to sales on hius mobile. They had a two week wait for a QUOTE.

Temperature outside was about -2 and my old mate Devon Thomas from the Brixton Forum suggested South Thames Gas from Railton Road - who were brilliant.
A bit pricey - but probably less pricey than BG.

I find these big jobs traumatic.

If you are local to Brixton try the Spin doctor, although he is against LTNs...

Might be worth a try - he might even be able to repair the existing - though I doubt it. Serious knocking on the drum then slowed down to a stop.
Sounded like bearings shot to me. I was scared to do too much - you don't want a machine full of water to move around.

They're able to do this exactly because we don't have restrictions to stop this or charge the relevant costs for the damage done by driving around with all this needless equipment. It's only surprising that they could only find £300 for a donation tbh.

Surely thats an office and not a base? They take their vans home, you can see them parked on streets.

Any plumber will go far - I had mine come from uxbridge a few weeks ago. They carry a lot of equipment and go where the work is. Some local tradesmen turn down jobs in and around the LTNs

Yep - but as I mentioned extremely inefficient and causing tons of pollution compared to local plumbers. There are sites now & Google that make it much easier to find local services now.

The anti-LTN harp on about pollution but never when it’s things like huge vans driving around with equipment they never need (3 ladders!) or all these bloody massive SUVs and we all know why that is.

Have you ever done such a job?

Any plumber will go far - I had mine come from uxbridge a few weeks ago. They carry a lot of equipment and go where the work is. Some local tradesmen turn down jobs in and around the LTNs

That’s just my point - how inefficient is it to have a plumper travel across London with tons of equipment they won’t use? Just think of the pollution from that! Crazy!

That’s just my point - how inefficient is it to have a plumper travel across London with tons of equipment they won’t use? Just think of the pollution from that! Crazy!
Exactly. Most trades hate driving... You don't get paid for it do you? When I worked as an electrician I only did local jobs, less driving and it meant I could provide a good follow up service to customers. There is so much work around in London that if you're a half decent tradesperson, you can pick up enough work locally (my 'boundary' was a 30 minute drive max). Better for the planet and my petrol spending.

...but how do you know they wont use it? Have you seen the amount of stuff inside most of those vans?

What are they supposed to do cycle accross london to fix a valve and then turn down bigger work because they don't have everything they need? They are mobile workshops / offices /storerooms / wahtever.

They are mobile workshops / offices /storerooms / wahtever.

Exactly! They’re driving a workshop across London causing huge pollution. Use someone local that can go and pick up what they need.

As mentioned anti-LTNers only seem to care about pollution when they can try and blame it on LTNs or cycle lanes. Luckily some of our politicians seem to get it.

Exactly! They’re driving a workshop across London causing huge pollution. Use someone local that can go and pick up what they need.

As mentioned anti-LTNers only seem to care about pollution when they can try and blame it on LTNs or cycle lanes. Luckily some of our politicians seem to get it.

....but even local plumbers would use a van. If you get paid per job why would you risk having to come back because you don't have a certain thing. People go where the work is not everyone can service their local area and still make a living

Just sounds like another Answer: cycling What's the question? Without thinking about the situation.

....but even local plumbers would use a van. If you get paid per job why would you risk having to come back because you don't have a certain thing. People go where the work is not everyone can service their local area and still make a living

Just sounds like another Answer: cycling What's the question? Without thinking about the situation.

The answer to any question is never driving a workshop all the way across London. If you can’t see the issue I give up.

The answer to any question is never driving a workshop all the way across London. If you can’t see the issue I give up.

Their office is also your house. Their equipment is needed to do their job. They have a lot of stuff. They could be swapping a part on a boiler, replaceing one of many washers, taps or showers heads. They could be changing a pipe out.

I don't think you grasp what they are expected to do and what they need to do it. Look at anything from the internet engineers, thames water, utilities, etc. It's all the same for a pretty obvious reason

Back
Top Bottom