Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

We met the deadline as stipulated on the page so we are now just waiting. I don’t think you understand the process

So there is something to update, maybe let your donors know. I have some understanding of the process but difficult to work out what’s going on when you never seem to give a straight answer on here.

TfL leaflet through the door today. Next LTNs are Acre Lane to S.Circular between Brixton Hill and Kings Ave, and Streatham High Road to Leigham Court Road as far as the common.

View attachment 293068

No details on the gate locations
Excellent. This is much needed to stop the Lyham Rd rat-run (which bisects a key primary school walking route between Blenheim Gardens Estate and two primary schools).

Yes, because while this is clearly a scam to rip off the desperate - the slightly odd thing is that you aren’t very good at it.

You should be posting regular updates, about how much money even a pound makes and about how close you are to major milestones

Alex
Ok, so it’s just updates you’re after rather than saying it’s fraudulent. I’ll call the courts and tell them to hurry up as you’re getting frustrated.

This seems a long time ago.

Evening All,

I'm new here but thought I'd get involved. I've seen a number of comments about the legal case and the reasoning/rationale behind it including the type of people who are against LTNs. It's been an interesting read as I'm the person listed as the beneficiary on the Gofundme link and that has obviously caused some confusion and, on some areas of social media, has resulted in some interesting conspiracy theories. I wanted to introduce myself and say that I'm very open to answer any questions that you may have about why we are doing this (as long as they don't prejudice our case) and explain who we are as a group. From what I've seen, this seems like a place where the vast majority of people are keen to discuss, possibly disagree but generally treat each other with decency. From the start, I'll be completely open, honest and tell you the truth about what we're doing and why. All I'd ask is that we keep it polite as, frankly, most social media seems to be a hell hole at the moment. Having that this, this seems to be pretty respectful and decent.

Thanks

Charlie

Ok, so it’s just updates you’re after rather than saying it’s fraudulent. I’ll call the courts and tell them to hurry up as you’re getting frustrated.
Not completely on topic here but I found this article earlier How Politicians and Lobby Groups Tried — And Failed — To Co-opt Legitimate Concerns Over Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (maybe old news for the oldies here) and I was a little surprised.
The question for you chowce5382 is : did any of the funding pages you seem to be running received donations from a Roger Lawson and was it/were they returned as the “Open our roads” collective did?

Not completely on topic here but I found this article earlier How Politicians and Lobby Groups Tried — And Failed — To Co-opt Legitimate Concerns Over Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (maybe old news for the oldies here) and I was a little surprised.
The question for you chowce5382 is : did any of the funding pages you seem to be running received donations from a Roger Lawson and was it/were they returned as the “Open our roads” collective did?
So, there was one funding page and a second opened for the appeal. I have no idea who Roger Lawson is and we haven’t had any donations from him or any lobby groups or collective groups representing road users. All of our donations have been from individuals. As mentioned time and time again, we are a group of people, most of whom didn’t know each other before the LTNs, raising money for Sofia’s case. We don’t have links to lobby groups and haven’t spoken to any about support as none of us want to be involved with pro car groups. The only groups we have spoken to are legal aid charities and the Human Rights Comission. We are advocating for the rights of a disabled women who has suffered as a result of LTNs. Really sorry if some of you guys would like it to be different as that would allow people to make an excuse for this issue, but it isn’t I’m afraid.

So, there was one funding page and a second opened for the appeal. I have no idea who Roger Lawson is and we haven’t had any donations from him or any lobby groups or collective groups representing road users. All of our donations have been from individuals.

While I think you should be free to accept donations from whoever you like, I'm not sure that Pimlico Plumbers is an "individual". And if they are, then they are Charlie Mullins whose various rants do seem to be rather more focused on road space being given away to cycle fascists and so on, than on protecting the rights of disabled residents. Again, you can take donations from whoever you want and it doesn't necessarily mean that you agree with everyone and anyone who gives you money, but I don't know how many people are just going to take your word for it that you received no funding from those representing "road users" (by which I assume you mean road users not allowed to pass through filters).

While I think you should be free to accept donations from whoever you like, I'm not sure that Pimlico Plumbers is an "individual". And if they are, then they are Charlie Mullins whose various rants do seem to be rather more focused on road space being given away to cycle fascists and so on, than on protecting the rights of disabled residents. Again, you can take donations from whoever you want and it doesn't necessarily mean that you agree with everyone and anyone who gives you money, but I don't know how many people are just going to take your word for it that you received no funding from those representing "road users" (by which I assume you mean road users not allowed to pass through filters).
“Lobby groups or collective groups representing road users”. If you or others don’t want to take my word for it that’s fine, it just means you’ll be labouring under a misapprehension. I’d also point you back to the comment that it could be easier for you to think that as it covers the inconvenient issue regarding why the money is being raised (and for whom)…

Leaflet saying consultation opening soon on the Tulse Hill LTN (and I’m guessing Streatham Hill & Ferndale one’s).

6961990C-830F-4D2F-86E1-D1EEF0B9F98E.jpeg95CA32F5-A954-49CE-81CE-0971EDF7DFF5.jpeg

“Lobby groups or collective groups representing road users”. If you or others don’t want to take my word for it that’s fine, it just means you’ll be labouring under a misapprehension. I’d also point you back to the comment that it could be easier for you to think that as it covers the inconvenient issue regarding why the money is being raised (and for whom)…
I'm happy to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are acting with good intentions and a genuine interest in the rights of disadvantaged residents (while noting you're not willing to do the same in reverse).

But - on the one had you keep telling us that "One Lambeth Justice" (or whatever assemblage of people you currently see yourself as part of) is so loosely formulated that you have no influence or control over what is said on the twitter feed of the same name, nor do you have any influence or control over the website that at one point you said was the one that represented your project. From what I can work out, all that you have any oversight of, is the gofundme page that both of those things direct people towards.

And on the other hand you want to confidently assure us that no-one donating to the appeal has any connection to lobbies or groups representing, say, road users. It doesn't make any sense at all! You can't know the details of everyone who donates and you don't even have any control over the messages that are used to direct or encourage people to make donations in the first place.

So, yes, everyone can simply make their own assumptions about who is donating and why, and they will be very likely to fit those assumptions to what would be least "inconvenient" to their view. But that surely has to include you too.

Can we just drop the idea the disabled woman is anything more than the poster girl. It's ridiculous. Just look at the comments from people donating and the donation page. The main picture isn't even her and there's barely any mention of whatever spurious reason there is for including her.

I'm happy to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are acting with good intentions and a genuine interest in the rights of disadvantaged residents (while noting you're not willing to do the same in reverse).

But - on the one had you keep telling us that "One Lambeth Justice" (or whatever assemblage of people you currently see yourself as part of) is so loosely formulated that you have no influence or control over what is said on the twitter feed of the same name, nor do you have any influence or control over the website that at one point you said was the one that represented your project. From what I can work out, all that you have any oversight of, is the gofundme page that both of those things direct people towards.

And on the other hand you want to confidently assure us that no-one donating to the appeal has any connection to lobbies or groups representing, say, road users. It doesn't make any sense at all! You can't know the details of everyone who donates and you don't even have any control over the messages that are used to direct or encourage people to make donations in the first place.

So, yes, everyone can simply make their own assumptions about who is donating and why, and they will be very likely to fit those assumptions to what would be least "inconvenient" to their view. But that surely has to include you too.
Apart from the fact that I get to see every single person who donates and have rejected overtures from certain groups whom we do not want to be affiliated with or donate to our campaign.

On that basis there is a considerable difference I would suggest as one is proactive and the other view point doesn’t have a proactive position in the process but judges what they deemto be to truth from a position of lesser knowledge about the facts/donations. This isn’t a dig at you, it’s just the nature of the process as you don’t get to see what I do.

Apart from the fact that I get to see every single person who donates and have rejected overtures from certain groups whom we do not want to be affiliated with or donate to our campaign.
This suggests you're happy to be associated with the fairly public views of the boss of Pimlico Plumbers.

This suggests you're happy to be associated with the fairly public views of the boss of Pimlico Plumbers.
In relation to LTNs and the impact on his business I can see where he is coming from. I distinguish that against a lobby group that is just focussed on cars and the rights of car owners as they are as blinkered as the equivalent cycle lobby imho. Neither are particularly helpful to solve this issue.

Can we just drop the idea the disabled woman is anything more than the poster girl. It's ridiculous. Just look at the comments from people donating and the donation page. The main picture isn't even her and there's barely any mention of whatever spurious reason there is for including her.
It seems you have made your mind up having not been in any of our meetings with her or the lawyers or spent hours talking to her about the problems she is facing.

In relation to LTNs and the impact on his business I can see where he is coming from. I distinguish that against a lobby group that is just focussed on cars and the rights of car owners as they are as blinkered as the equivalent cycle lobby imho. Neither are particularly helpful to solve this issue.
You said you haven't accepted any donations from any groups representing "road users". But did you actually mean "car owners", and you are happy to be associated with groups lobbying against restrictions that affect the ease with which they can carry out their business operations using motor vehicles?

her cab has to come down a different road? do me a favour. I see no reason to humour your nonsense based on your post history.

You said you haven't accepted any donations from any groups representing "road users". But did you actually mean "car owners", and you are happy to be associated with groups lobbying against restrictions that affect the ease with which they can carry out their business operations using motor vehicles?
I really meant the “car lobby” which I’ve been accused of being part of. I do think that businesses should be able to carry out their business using a motor vehicle and plumbers and builders are probably part of a group that would find it very difficult to remain as a going concern without that ability. In the end that’s really their look out though and I’m pretty sure that LTNs weren’t designed to stop that kind of economic activity (esp given the house building requirement in the county) but to stop needless trips where a car isn’t needed.

As mentioned before, there are a huge number of issues that are bound up in this but the one that I’m really focused on is Sofia and the problems she faces from day to day.

What does the court case have to do with a plumbing business? Surely Charlie Mullins is donating out of his altruistic concern for people with disabilities.

What does the court case have to do with a plumbing business? Surely Charlie Mullins is donating out of his altruistic concern for people with disabilities.
Ask him. He did specifically mention Sofia when he donated. Do you know if he has a loved one who has suffered from a disability?

On that basis there is a considerable difference I would suggest as one is proactive and the other view point doesn’t have a proactive position in the process but judges what they deemto be to truth from a position of lesser knowledge about the facts/donations. This isn’t a dig at you, it’s just the nature of the process as you don’t get to see what I do.
You’ve accepted street collections (which legally you aren’t allowed to do, firstly as you weren’t licensed to do so, and secondly as it coincided with political campaigning activity) and you’ve received pooled funds from various people paid in by other person.

All quite low sums, but to say it’s 100% transparent isn’t really true.

Ask him. He did specifically mention Sofia when he donated. Do you know if he has a loved one who has suffered from a disability?

Back
Top Bottom