Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

No, I'm not asking what you think might happen.

You have said that the council have been clear that there would be extra traffic/pollution, where did they make this statement?
No, I said that the council said traffic would move to other roads. It was my assertion then that if traffic moved to other roads those roads would ultimately take more traffic than before as a result of this movement. I think in one of the assessments of the overall scheme they say that this will happen by that it will evaporate later.

Shall we rewind a bit to where this started: a comment which clearly implies that the reason cars are rerouted is so that we increase pollution on certain roads.

Screenshot 2021-08-17 at 12.22.40.jpg

This is completely different to

It was my assertion then that if traffic moved to other roads those roads would ultimately take more traffic than before as a result of this movement.

No, I said that the council said traffic would move to other roads. It was my assertion then that if traffic moved to other roads those roads would ultimately take more traffic than before as a result of this movement. I think in one of the assessments of the overall scheme they say that this will happen by that it will evaporate later.
So what the council actually said is that there would be no extra traffic/pollution - the opposite of what you posted.

A wee reminder to everyone from One Lambeth Justice (nb not connected to One Lambeth Justice) that there's no need for consultations to be actually representative of people in the area affected! Isn't consultation great?

Screenshot 2021-08-17 at 13.40.58.jpg

Just for variety - and stimulated by the fact that the only topic guaranteed to get Nick Ferrari off the Taliban is LTNs in Dulwich - I tuned into the East Dulwich Forum
The East Dulwich Forum - original since 2006

As you see they are on page 211 now, albeit with more primitve software.
A cursory sample shows much less specifity on particular LTNs or roads - and indeed a certian naivité from posts:
eg - "you mean they don't build flat without underground car parks nowadays?"

We know the Brixton forum has a reach to Peckham and New York.
Maybe the East Dulwich Forum majors on Alicante?
Oh - and the posts certainly lack Mr Ferrari's vehemnt intensity on the matter.

I tuned into the East Dulwich Forum

From the forum referenced above and to be clear not CH1, hence the separate quote, hope that's clear enough:
Just walked past the “square”. There are nearly as many people with hi vis jackets (I assume volunteers preventing cycle/ pedestrian collisions) as there are other attendees, and I’m including patrons of au ciel and those heading into the bookshop. Complete and utter waste of council funds at at time when they’re not exactly flush with money.

Fascinating to see the fury about people enjoying the LTN, including the lie above. The event in the LTN was rammed when I was there, but there was jazz so I scarpered as soon as the nice Dr Bike man had fixed my attempted fix of my brakes. Where's the One Jazz Justice campaign, that's what I want to know.

Last edited:
Fascinating to see the fury about people enjoying the LTN, including the lie above. The event in the LTN was rammed when I was there, but there was jazz so I scarpered as soon as the nice Dr Bike man had fixed my attempted fix of my brakes. Where's the One Jazz Justice campaign, that's what I want to know.
Just watch it.
I posted the bit about East Dulwich LTN thread.

The 2nd para which you say is a "lie above" is nothing to do with me. Please source it properly - not to me.

On the Ealing “consultations” - Survey Monkey? They weren’t even trying FFS! Glad the govt making sure councils don’t just waste the funding for these schemes and base them on actual evidence.

“ The council's move is based on a Survey Monkey poll carried out last month. Between 1% to 6% of Ealing's population completed the survey. The exact numbers are unknown as the council didn't ask for names, and people could vote more than once.”

“ The council's move is based on a Survey Monkey poll carried out last month. Between 1% to 6% of Ealing's population completed the survey. The exact numbers are unknown as the council didn't ask for names, and people could vote more than once.”

so between 0% and 6% then !

That's the sort of thing that should be challenged..

The Braess Paradox explained for anyone who's interested. As I understand it it's not a universal phonemenon but it shows you don't even need induced traffic for increased capacity to be Not Good.

Here's quite a good article about transport policy that actually does divide communities. Not by making car drivers go a slightly longer route whilst retaining full access for everyone else, but by physically destroying and dividing a neighbourhood to build a massive highway that encourages even more traffic.

This of course nearly happened in Brixton a few decades ago.

Thanks and no I didn't ask for references from Lancet to support the case for LTNs

I only pointed out that the link was referencing a book review rather than an original article/research paper. I can understand how it would be attractive to use a reference from New Scientist rather than relying on WhatsApp if you're anti LTN. Using Lancet would be even better from an impact factor point of view.

Thanks and no I didn't ask for references from Lancet to support the case for LTNs

I only pointed out that the link was referencing a book review rather than an original article/research paper. I can understand how it would be attractive to use a reference from New Scientist rather than relying on WhatsApp if you're anti LTN. Using Lancet would be even better from an impact factor point of view.
what about Instagram ?

Back
Top Bottom