Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I don't support the tories and I would never vote for them, but I also wouldn't say that everything they do is wrong - just because its the tories.
Well you and I are clearly of a different political view. But maybe you don't want to throw out the sort of mockery of Leftist views you did earlier because it makes you sound pretty reactionary.

To be clear, I give a shit when it comes to, say, voting or what party I'm a member of (it's not the Tory party).

I still don't really understand your point, or if I do, it's so obvious a point I'm not sure it's worth making. I don't think that Johnson's views on active travel goes any way to redeeming him, neither does the fact that he seems to like dogs. But I still like dogs too.

I think we're in a weird position that this is a pretty mainstream policy for transport policymakers but not yet the public. And it's not really a Tory policy, not when Manchester and Lambeth are so keen.

To be clear, I give a shit when it comes to, say, voting or what party I'm a member of (it's not the Tory party).

I still don't really understand your point, or if I do, it's so obvious a point I'm not sure it's worth making. I don't think that Johnson's views on active travel goes any way to redeeming him, neither does the fact that he seems to like dogs. But I still like dogs too.

I think we're in a weird position that this is a pretty mainstream policy for transport policymakers but not yet the public. And it's not really a Tory policy, not when Manchester and Lambeth are so keen.
I don't think my point is so obvious that it doesn't need making, quite the opposite on what is often a far more conservative thread than you would expect, but thanks for your view on that.

The only out Tory on this thread that I'm aware of is the moneyman for the legal case against the policy. Meanwhile the OLJ social media bigs up the Workers Party, who seem to be literal communists.

Maybe it does need to be said that agreeing with around three minor policies and a foreword does not make me a BJ superfan.

Does it help if I say that I like the hire bikes but always make sure to call them "hire bikes" or "Santander bikes" and never "Boris bikes"? Or am I still impure?

The only out Tory on this thread that I'm aware of is the moneyman for the legal case against the policy. Meanwhile the OLJ social media bigs up the Workers Party, who seem to be literal communists.

Maybe it does need to be said that agreeing with around three minor policies and a foreword does not make me a BJ superfan.

Does it help if I say that I like the hire bikes but always make sure to call them "hire bikes" or "Santander bikes" and never "Boris bikes"? Or am I still impure?
Missing the point again. If I thought people on here were Tories, I wouldn't bother to point out the issues in what they are saying. It's when the anti Tories think it's not important to question the motives of theTories, say they've done one good thing or quote them as credible sources that I feel to say something. Oh yeah, and denigrade Lefties.

I made fun of the "because the tories are doing it, it's bad" position, to me that is reactionary.
You're misinterpreting me. I didn't say if the Tories are doing it, it's bad. I said that if the Tories are doing it they have an ulterior motive that is not for the greater good or to better/progress green or social issues, etc. Just to be clear.
But if you ever think the Tories have a good motive, then yes, we totally disagree on that and if that makes me reactionary then that's something I can definitely live with.

You're misinterpreting me. I didn't say if the Tories are doing it, it's bad. I said that if the Tories are doing it they have an ulterior motive that is not for the greater good or to better/progress green or social issues, etc. Just to be clear.
But if you ever think the Tories have a good motive, then yes, we totally disagree on that and if that makes me reactionary then that's something I can definitely live with.
You said:
When people start saying the Tories have done something ok. They don't, ever, and we forget that at our peril.

Ok, so you're not saying the Tories are bad, just that they never do anything ok - and this isn't reactionary?

You said:

Ok, so you're not saying the Tories are bad, just that they never do anything ok - and this isn't reactionary?
As I said and you have recognised, I have over a number of posts explained and elucidated on my opinion. So for example and to restate the obvious, I don't think gay marriage is bad because the Tories passed it but I don't think they passed it because they are wanting a more inclusive and less prejudiced society; particularly in light of their other views on equality.
However, and I've just said this in my last post, I will never ever consider an action taken by the Tories to be fuelled by justice or even goodwill. The fact that I even have to state that in a Tory context of thousands killed by Tory policies on welfare, Covid, immigration, aid, etc makes me frustrated. But I'll say it again: I will never ever ever consider a policy passed by the Tories to be one that's motive seeks for progress in social justice and societal well-being, in the UK or internationally. And if that's reactionary, I wear it happily.

As I said and you have recognised, I have over a number of posts explained and elucidated on my opinion. So for example and to restate the obvious, I don't think gay marriage is bad because the Tories passed it but I don't think they passed it because they are wanting a more inclusive and less prejudiced society; particularly in light of their other views on equality.
However, and I've just said this in my last post, I will never ever consider an action taken by the Tories to be fuelled by justice or even goodwill. The fact that I even have to state that in a Tory context of thousands killed by Tory policies on welfare, Covid, immigration, aid, etc makes me frustrated. But I'll say it again: I will never ever ever consider a policy passed by the Tories to be one that's motive seeks for progress in social justice and societal well-being, in the UK or internationally. And if that's reactionary, I wear it happily.
I don't want to chuck names about, but for me I can think that the tories are doing the wrong thing on immigration but are doing the right thing on active travel and ltns.

There have been a lot of posts here trying to discredit those who oppose LTNs as being on the right. Which is meant to devalue any views they have of LTNs.

Yet Boris government, which is very right wing on lot of issues, gets let off the hook because Boris supports "active travel".

There have been a lot of posts here trying to discredit those who oppose LTNs as being on the right. Which is meant to devalue any views they have of LTNs.

Yet Boris government, which is very right wing on lot of issues, gets let off the hook because Boris supports "active travel".

I’ve often pointed out the awful people that oppose LTNs, there are lots, but not all right wing - Claire Fox, the Workers Party. Quite rightly you’ve pointed out that that doesn’t make LTNs good but neither does this government supporting make them bad. I struggle to find anyone decent of note opposing LTNs though.

No one’s letting this government of the hook though.

ps. please don’t use “Boris” we don’t do that for any other politicians and is a deliberate ploy to soften the edges of, as you point out, a very right wing politician.

Of course this is not a new thing, the quote below is from Jonathan Porritt

7D325BD7-6331-4232-8257-B1E11CD8C986.jpeg

Last edited:
You could actually make a right-wing argument for active travel. London doesn’t have the road capacity or parking to cope if 10 or even 5% of the people who used public transport switched to cars, the city would grind to a halt, so it’s actually needed from an economic point of view too.

I’ve often pointed out the awful people that oppose LTNs, there are lots, but not all right wing - Claire Fox, the Workers Party. Quite rightly you’ve pointed out that that doesn’t make LTNs good but neither does this government supporting make them bad. I struggle to find anyone decent of note opposing LTNs though.

ps. please don’t use “Boris” we don’t do that for any other politicians and is a deliberate ploy to soften the edges of, as you point out, a very right wing politician.

I'm not the one here softening the edges of Boris.

You could actually make a right-wing argument for active travel.

You don't have to make one, the right wing government has been making these arguments for years. In 2014 they were saying that inactivity was costing the country £7.4 billion a year and set up a national framework to address the "inactivity epidemic". As I said before, if all you want to do is save money and avoid raising taxes, there are really compelling arguments for fewer cars on the road and more active travel. Like the environmental argument, I can see it, but I don't find it the most compelling argument.

So its not about left /right. Its that anyone who opposes LTNs is not a "decent" person.

I think you should spend less time looking at Twitter and go out to talk to real people.

I know of plenty people who are decent who aren't happy with LTNs.

I would say that locally Sofia the disabled lady is one of them.

Last edited:
She defended One Lambeth Justice's comparison of LTNs to the Holocaust.

I'm sure there are very fine people of both sides, though

I wondered how long it would take to go through her twitter.

So now she can be officially classified as non decent person.

Thanks for that. Really helpful.

A disabled person who has gone through a lot to take Lambeth on and at first opportunity you decide to have a go at her not Lambeth.

Nice. Your such a decent human being. Good to see you posting here.

Back
Top Bottom