Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I always admire people who can find the positive in anything but this is quite a take on coming last with 318 votes - Leaving anti-LTN independent Jody Graber free to concentrate on his upcoming trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges

Attachments

• 94DBF994-E17F-459E-831A-960BE2BDA6A5.jpeg
    94DBF994-E17F-459E-831A-960BE2BDA6A5.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 34
I didn’t realise that Revenue from ltns anpr cameras was more than a million quid in 6 months.

Does anyone have any updates numbers?
You could do an FOI but it takes about 28 days for Lambeth to respond. If you do it would also be worth asking Lambeth what they spend the money on - is it all used for the costs of cameras/monitoring/admin or is there spare?

I do chuckle when people complain that the LTN's are just a money making exercise by Lambeth - there was a long amnesty period, the signs are clear and if you've not heard about LTNs, planters and cameras by now, you must have just arrived from Mars. One easy way to avoid the fines - obey the law and don't drive through

I did vote Labour for Mayor. Because I didn't want the Tories running London.

That was the reason.

LTNs are put in place by London Councils. Not the Mayor. Khan didn't mention LTNs in the manifesto.

TRANSPORT - Continuing to invest in public transport to ensure it is safe, affordable and reliable, keeping fares as low as possible, working to put TfL on a sound, sustainable financial footing after the pandemic, and supporting a revolution in walking and cycling.
Record investment in greener travel, including my recent Streetspace plan, has led to the biggest increase in cycling on record. ... I declared a climate emergency in London, setting out my ambition to be zero-carbon by 2030, and we became one of the world’s first cities to set out a clear plan to comply with the Paris Climate Agreement.
Cleaner, greener public transport means fewer polluting vehicles, and I will work to ensure 80% of all journeys by2041 are walked, cycled or by public transport

Last year, TfL and the London boroughs rapidly rolled out measures to make our streets safer for walking, cycling, and social distancing, such as low-traffic neighbourhoods. Most of these schemes are temporary
and implemented under emergency Government guidance. I will work with London boroughs to ensure communities and stakeholder groups are properly consulted on these schemes, refining them where necessary, and making them permanent where they are successful.

I will continue the rapid expansion of London’s cycle network — connecting communities and town centres with protected cycleways on main roads and low-traffic routes on local streets — so it reaches a third of Londoners by 2025. I will improve on-street signage and digital mapping and wayfinding to make it easy for people to choose this greener transport option.
I will continue to support the innovative use of timed changes to streets across the capital through ‘School Streets’, ‘Summer Streeteries’ and ‘Lunchtime Streets’

Interesting he says these are temporary. I wonder how he will ensure Local Councils consult properly. I didn't think that was in his power. In the end LTNs come under local Council decision.

Interesting he says these are temporary. I wonder how he will ensure Local Councils consult properly. I didn't think that was in his power. In the end LTNs come under local Council decision.
They’ve always been temporary and have to be consulted on before becoming permanent, and presumably that means properly. I guess he’s just making that point.

They’ve always been temporary and have to be consulted on before becoming permanent, and presumably that means properly. I guess he’s just making that point.

He says he will ensure Councils consult properly.

Im wondering how he will ensure Councils do this properly. As he says it in his manifesto.

For example as Mayor he brought in votes for Council estates to see if they wanted their estate regenerated.

With the Good Growth Fund (which the Council have got for the Brixton Rec/Brixton Station Road area) independent ongoing evaluation is required as part of the grant. The evaluation criteria to see if the project is meeting community needs are developed with the local community/stakeholders and Council. Ongoing consultation /evaluation reports are produced independently of Council.

Good Growth Fund is Mayor funds to support community development.

With the now defunct Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood scheme the TFL funding likewise required proper consultation. Council was going to need to prove to TFL that local communitues wanted LTNs. Prior to getting more funds. Prior to putting them in place.

This was all bypassed by pandemic.

So we are where we are. As Khan has put ensuring proper consultation in his manifesto as part of how he will work with local authorities I'm wondering what actual mechanisms he will use and what actual powers he has over local authorities.

I think the traffic/LTN/ULEZ/congestion issue did hurt Khan but not enough that it made any difference given the sound and light. Probably the wrong election for it. If there were 3 or 4 wards with anti LTN types running, whilst the Tories, Greens and LDs fight elsewhere, then that might be different. Even if the LTN types still lose badly. If just because harder for Labour to focus all its resources that it normally would be. In 2018 it seemed they were able to just about focus resources on the battle grounds.

I
Can't read the article, only the headline, but I think this is about One Lambeth's legal challenge?
Green roads ‘may interfere in human rights’ of residents, council admits as it vows to continue scheme

Green roads ‘may interfere in human rights’ of residents, council admits as it vows to continue scheme
Lambeth Council has received a total of £2.64 million as part of Sadiq Khan’s Streetspace scheme to fund 'active travel'

The low-traffic neighbourhood at Shakespeare Road, one of five such schemes introduced by Lambeth Council.
The low-traffic neighbourhood at Shakespeare Road, one of five such schemes introduced by Lambeth Council. CREDIT: GEOFF PUGH
Dominic Penna
25 APRIL 2021 • 6:00 AM
Green roads "may interfere in the human rights" of residents, a council has admitted, but has vowed to plough on with a controversial scheme.

Lambeth Council received a total of £2.64 million as part of Sadiq Khan's Streetspace scheme to fund active travel – more than any other local authority in London.

The Ferndale low-traffic neighbourhood, which takes in five different roads, was established in June 2020, and further restrictions on vehicle access have now been approved after a report concluded the initial trial period was successful.

“The implementation of the scheme may result in the interference with the human rights of individuals,” the report reads.

“Officers consider that such interference is necessary and proportionate means of achieving the wider public benefit of making the borough’s transport networks safe, efficient, inclusive, sustainable and healthy.”

Two sections of the European Convention on Human Rights apply to the Ferndale scheme, the council says.

These are Article 1, which protects an individual’s right to possessions, and Article 8, which protects their right to respect for private and family life, their home and their correspondence.

Both of the articles in question are subject to exemptions which allow a state to “enforce such laws as it deems necessary” to ensure public safety and “the general interest”.

Low-traffic neighbourhoods have been implemented across London boroughs with Government grants
Low-traffic neighbourhoods have been implemented across London boroughs with Government grants CREDIT: HEATHCLIFF O'MALLEY
More than 4,000 residents have signed a petition on the council website that calls for the immediate removal and cessation of all five of Lambeth’s low-traffic neighbourhoods.

Tim Briggs, a Conservative councillor in Lambeth, accused the Labour leadership of “complacency” amid objections from residents, hundreds of whom attended a protest against the plans at Windrush Square on Saturday.

“The reality of people’s lives in Lambeth at the moment is they cannot get from A to B,” he said. “They’re extremely angry, extremely hurt and they’ve lost faith in the council.

“The proposed outcome of lower pollution is not going to happen, because it relies on this idea the traffic is all going to evaporate when in reality it is just displaced.

“There is a fundamental issue of whether the council should be able to infringe on people’s freedoms like this without anyone having been properly consulted.”

Paul Brennan, the chairman of the Licensed Taxi Drivers Association, is among those to have contacted policymakers to express his concerns about the Ferndale low-traffic neighbourhood.

The scheme risks undermining the “essential service” provided by black cabs in the borough, Mr Brennan wrote, “particularly [for] disabled people and those with accessibility needs.”

Other low-traffic neighbourhoods introduced by Lambeth Council include the Railton Road scheme, which has seen eight different access points reduced to two as part of a one-way system designed to enable social distancing.

It comes ahead of legal action by Sofia Sheakh which is set to be heard from June 10. Ms Sheakh has asked a judge to rule that Lambeth Council has illegally introduced its LTNs by not taking into account the needs and rights of disabled people.

Sofia Sheakh, who is taking Lambeth Council to talk over the low-traffic neighbourhood closure of her road
Sofia Sheakh, who is taking Lambeth Council to talk over the low-traffic neighbourhood closure of her road CREDIT: GEOFF PUGH
"My whole life now is rerouted because of these low-traffic neighbourhoods that were not done with any consultation, and they were not done with all the residents in mind,” she said.

“My protected characteristic as a vulnerable person with lung disease has been completely disregarded, and I’m being discriminated against. This is why I am bringing my challenge against the council.”

On Thursday night, Harrow Council became the first in the country to vote to remove all Streetspace schemes, low-traffic neighbourhoods and cycle lanes implemented in response to the pandemic.

It came after overwhelming opposition from residents, with as many as 91 per cent not wanting the borough’s low-traffic neighbourhood schemes to continue beyond a statutory six-month trial period.

Lambeth Council was contacted for comment.

Is it the case that Lambeth have devised a scheme limited mainly to a select bunch of residential roads but including such popular cut throughs/rat runs as Railton Road and Ferndale Road to spend £2.64 million of a Streetspace grant on "active travel"?

I assume "active travel" means either walking or cycling.

Full marks to Lambeth for puritan activism. After all who would have imagined smoke-free pubs twenty years ago?
But can someone please tell me why the 322 bus goes round the Moorland Estate as a non-stopping detour since the Lambeth Transport Ayatollahs took control and shut Atlantic Road north-bound to buses - and how are those high discharge pure diesel Dennis Dart buses improving our air quality?

Is it the case that Lambeth have devised a scheme limited mainly to a select bunch of residential roads but including such popular cut throughs/rat runs as Railton Road and Ferndale Road to spend £2.64 million of a Streetspace grant on "active travel"?

I assume "active travel" means either walking or cycling.

Full marks to Lambeth for puritan activism. After all who would have imagined smoke-free pubs twenty years ago?
But can someone please tell me why the 322 bus goes round the Moorland Estate as a non-stopping detour since the Lambeth Transport Ayatollahs took control and shut Atlantic Road north-bound to buses - and how are those high discharge pure diesel Dennis Dart buses improving our air quality?

Full marks to them indeed. They’re showing some backbone where other councils aren’t.

What has that diversion got to do with the LTN?.Maybe because it’s a struggle to get a bus down that road?.

The word "may" in the headline is of that Telegraph article is doing a lot of work. The report goes on to say that "The Council, as a public body, is under a duty to consider whether the exercise of its powers interacts with rights protected by the European Convention, set out in the Human Rights Act 1998." The council is just... doing what it's supposed to be doing.

One Lambeth justice et al have been seriously triggered by the re-election of Khan and the complete rejection of all the anti-LTN politicians. It’s June 9th or bust now, still someways short of £35k needed although Pimlico plumbers gave £500 recently.

One Lambeth justice et al have been seriously triggered by the re-election of Khan and the complete rejection of all the anti-LTN politicians. It’s June 9th or bust now, still someways short of £35k needed although Pimlico plumbers gave £500 recently.

drip drip …

I

Lambeth Council has received a total of £2.64 million as part of Sadiq Khan’s Streetspace scheme to fund 'active travel'

The low-traffic neighbourhood at Shakespeare Road, one of five such schemes introduced by Lambeth Council.
The low-traffic neighbourhood at Shakespeare Road, one of five such schemes introduced by Lambeth Council. CREDIT: GEOFF PUGH
Dominic Penna
Green roads "may interfere in the human rights" of residents, a council has admitted, but has vowed to plough on with a controversial scheme.

Lambeth Council received a total of £2.64 million as part of Sadiq Khan's Streetspace scheme to fund active travel – more than any other local authority in London.

The Ferndale low-traffic neighbourhood, which takes in five different roads, was established in June 2020, and further restrictions on vehicle access have now been approved after a report concluded the initial trial period was successful.

“The implementation of the scheme may result in the interference with the human rights of individuals,” the report reads.

“Officers consider that such interference is necessary and proportionate means of achieving the wider public benefit of making the borough’s transport networks safe, efficient, inclusive, sustainable and healthy.”

Two sections of the European Convention on Human Rights apply to the Ferndale scheme, the council says.

These are Article 1, which protects an individual’s right to possessions, and Article 8, which protects their right to respect for private and family life, their home and their correspondence.

Both of the articles in question are subject to exemptions which allow a state to “enforce such laws as it deems necessary” to ensure public safety and “the general interest”.

Low-traffic neighbourhoods have been implemented across London boroughs with Government grants
Low-traffic neighbourhoods have been implemented across London boroughs with Government grants CREDIT: HEATHCLIFF O'MALLEY
More than 4,000 residents have signed a petition on the council website that calls for the immediate removal and cessation of all five of Lambeth’s low-traffic neighbourhoods.

Tim Briggs, a Conservative councillor in Lambeth, accused the Labour leadership of “complacency” amid objections from residents, hundreds of whom attended a protest against the plans at Windrush Square on Saturday.

“The reality of people’s lives in Lambeth at the moment is they cannot get from A to B,” he said. “They’re extremely angry, extremely hurt and they’ve lost faith in the council.

“The proposed outcome of lower pollution is not going to happen, because it relies on this idea the traffic is all going to evaporate when in reality it is just displaced.

“There is a fundamental issue of whether the council should be able to infringe on people’s freedoms like this without anyone having been properly consulted.”

Paul Brennan, the chairman of the Licensed Taxi Drivers Association, is among those to have contacted policymakers to express his concerns about the Ferndale low-traffic neighbourhood.

The scheme risks undermining the “essential service” provided by black cabs in the borough, Mr Brennan wrote, “particularly [for] disabled people and those with accessibility needs.”

Other low-traffic neighbourhoods introduced by Lambeth Council include the Railton Road scheme, which has seen eight different access points reduced to two as part of a one-way system designed to enable social distancing.

It comes ahead of legal action by Sofia Sheakh which is set to be heard from June 10. Ms Sheakh has asked a judge to rule that Lambeth Council has illegally introduced its LTNs by not taking into account the needs and rights of disabled people.

Sofia Sheakh, who is taking Lambeth Council to talk over the low-traffic neighbourhood closure of her road
Sofia Sheakh, who is taking Lambeth Council to talk over the low-traffic neighbourhood closure of her road CREDIT: GEOFF PUGH
"My whole life now is rerouted because of these low-traffic neighbourhoods that were not done with any consultation, and they were not done with all the residents in mind,” she said.

“My protected characteristic as a vulnerable person with lung disease has been completely disregarded, and I’m being discriminated against. This is why I am bringing my challenge against the council.”

On Thursday night, Harrow Council became the first in the country to vote to remove all Streetspace schemes, low-traffic neighbourhoods and cycle lanes implemented in response to the pandemic.

It came after overwhelming opposition from residents, with as many as 91 per cent not wanting the borough’s low-traffic neighbourhood schemes to continue beyond a statutory six-month trial period.

Really?

I

Dominic Penna

The argument by Lambeth is that it can over ride an individuals rights as laid out in European convention on human rights.

Sofia legal team will argue that she has protected characteristics and Lambeth actions have affected her human rights.

That is how I read the article.

It is imo a serious issue and I await the result.

The state and local state have a lot of power and it is important to help defend the individuals rights.

I find it disappointing how its been dismissed on this thread.

It's not a serious issue just because the Telegraph tries to say it is. Even that article says both of the articles in question are subject to exemptions which allow a state to “enforce such laws as it deems necessary” to ensure public safety and “the general interest”. The report says officers consider that such interference is necessary and proportionate means of achieving the wider public benefit of making the boroughs transport networks safe, efficient, inclusive, sustainable and healthy.

Having a duty to consider something and then considering it and deciding that exemptions apply is not really the same as "overriding human rights".

It's not a serious issue just because the Telegraph tries to say it is. Even that article says both of the articles in question are subject to exemptions which allow a state to “enforce such laws as it deems necessary” to ensure public safety and “the general interest”. The report says officers consider that such interference is necessary and proportionate means of achieving the wider public benefit of making the boroughs transport networks safe, efficient, inclusive, sustainable and healthy.

Having a duty to consider something and then considering it and deciding that exemptions apply is not really the same as "overriding human rights".

Your are new here. This has come up before.

I'm not saying it because its in a Telegraph article.

Back
Top Bottom