Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Indeed - but as an (ex)Marxist I’m not sure you could call her right wing. An idiot though....
A thread is available for the pursuit of that discussion!

q1.jpgq2.jpg

An increasing occurrence as traffic gets back to pre Covid levels - a queue from Herne Hill all the way along Dulwich Rd to Dalberg Rd.

Me and my 50 or so neighbours in the council block in the first photo have to put up with the noise and exhaust fumes as a direct consequence of the Railton LTN.

Look at those buses too - all carrying fellow 'ordinary' South Londoners who are now subject to 10 minute waiting times in the queue.

Well done to all those in the 'elite' who, while this mayhem is happening, are no doubt sipping herbal teas on the reclaimed furniture within the LTN!

On Railton Road (Herne Hill end) motorbikes are driving up onto the pavement and driving through parks to avoid the cameras.

One of the mopeds nearly hit me on the pavement the other day, near the recycling bins! Most drivers adopting that tactic dismount and push the moped/motorbike along the pavement. It's quite common now at night. Seems a bit of a strange thing to do, risking two fines. I'm sure the cameras will clock them.

No, that’s my point. I was trying to be helpful to back up your point.

But you say in later post she is an idiot. So how is that helpful?

Post 4111.

Why if you think Claire Fox is an idiot did you use her twitter post to "back up" my point?

You also say now you are not sure if she is right wing. So which is it. To "back up" my point she must not be right wing.

Can you clarify for me where on the political spectrum you think Claire Fox is?

Last edited:
View attachment 263580View attachment 263581

An increasing occurrence as traffic gets back to pre Covid levels - a queue from Herne Hill all the way along Dulwich Rd to Dalberg Rd.

Me and my 50 or so neighbours in the council block in the first photo have to put up with the noise and exhaust fumes as a direct consequence of the Railton LTN.

Look at those buses too - all carrying fellow 'ordinary' South Londoners who are now subject to 10 minute waiting times in the queue.

Well done to all those in the 'elite' who, while this mayhem is happening, are no doubt sipping herbal teas on the reclaimed furniture within the LTN!

So traffic jams are caused by people not driving cars? Sounds uncannily like bullshit to me.

But you say in later post she is an idiot. So how is that helpful?

Post 4111.

Why if you think Claire Fox is an idiot did you use her twitter post to "back up" my point?

You also say now you are not sure if she is right wing. So which is it. To "back up" my point she must not be right wing.

Can you clarify for me where on the political spectrum you think Claire Fox is?
I was trying to be lighthearted. I don’t really know where she’s on the political spectrum and suspect she doesn’t either.

She’s an opportunistic nutter using LTNs to advance herself and her own weird agenda like all the other opportunistic nutters (Laurence Fox, Gammons, Rose etc.) that seem to want to make these schemes part of their culture wars.

Last edited:
I was trying to be lighthearted. I don’t really know where she’s on the political spectrum and suspect she doesn’t either.

She’s an opportunistic nutter using LTNs to advance herself and her own weird agenda like all the other opportunistic nutters (Laurence Fox, Gammons, Rose etc.) that seem to want to make these schemes part of their culture wars.

You said in previous posts you don't consider her right wing. Now you are saying that you don't know.

You now say she is in a category of "opportunistic nutters".

So in "lighthearted" way you search the Internet for twitter post by one of the "opportunistic nutters" and decide its the ideal way to show you agree with me.

Someone until now you were sure was "certainly" not right wing.

View attachment 263580View attachment 263581

The pinch point is the junction and that would be the same even if there was no ltn.

wank.gif

Harrow removing their LTN’s and OneLambeth have managed to get their story about a disabled resident on Shakespeare suing Lambeth re LTN in the mail on Sunday

Typically, having built up a head of speed down Morval Road, you’d forget to indicate and swing a fast left onto Barnwell Road. They had to extend the pavement, add bollards and put in a raised table to reduce that happening but it had little effect. You’d then speed down barnwell road (speed bumps were put in) turn right on to Railton (20mph area) and then try and beat the traffic by driving a longer distance to come out at the top of Dulwich Road at Rymer Road.

Typically, having built up a head of speed down Morval Road, you’d forget to indicate and swing a fast left onto Barnwell Road. They had to extend the pavement, add bollards and put in a raised table to reduce that happening but it had little effect. You’d then speed down barnwell road (speed bumps were put in) turn right on to Railton (20mph area) and then try and beat the traffic by driving a longer distance to come out at the top of Dulwich Road at Rymer Road.

Happy days.

the Mail on Sunday..,,
I know but it’s all publicity to the anti LTN cause. Main complaint was that it now took 22 minutes to drive to Herne hill, (I’m assuming) when before it was only 6. To be fair, it’s the sort of issue (as others have said) that would go away if blue badge holders were allowed through the filters without penalty. I know that it’s issued against a person rather than a vehicle but that’s easily sorted, ie register a vehicle or vehicles to a person for local access.

Here is the actual article.

They have given the disabled person media space to say how the Railton LTN had affected them. It is the Shakespeare Road section that is causing her problems.

From previous comments here, what I've seen elsewhere and been told personally the road closure on Shakespeare Road is particularly contentious.

The article does give impression its all Lambeth fault and giving figures of money Lambeth has spent without saying where money comes from. Thus giving impression that Lambeth have been spending Council tax payers money on this. Which they haven't as far as I know. So that is somewhat misleading.

Article does go on about other studies on traffic. I'm not expert enough to criticise those.

Apart from that looks to me that Mail have picked up on story in local media and given the disabled woman a fair coverage.

I've been an active person and I can't do that anymore but I'm not an anti-cyclist. I'm not anti-walking or anti-active. I'm actually quite an eco-friendly recycling nut environmentalist-type person.

Is what she says.

Very strong support from Sadiq Khan today:

Our roads should be limited to blue light services, to electricians, to plumbers, to commercial drivers, to taxis, to those that need to use our roads - delivery drivers and so forth - rather than individuals that could be walking, cycling and using public transport.

Very strong support from Sadiq Khan today:

Good. I'm glad he is making it clear. Assuming he is re-elected it provides a mandate for not giving in.

Was just the other day reading the election booklet that came through the door with each candidate's "mini-manifesto". Several of them stating that they wanted to take out LTNs and also take out cycle lanes, but none of them seem likely to get many votes.

Shaun Bailey's says he wants to reverse the congestion charge rise and scrap the ULEZ extension but doesn't seem to specifically mention LTNs or cycle lanes.

He does say he wants 30 minutes free parking for outer London high streets :facepalm:

On Independent article.

The mother of the girl who died is not happy with LTN in her area.

So not sure why Khan is using this to support LTNs.

Khan also says roads should be limited to those who use them for work. Delivery drivers, builders etc.

But he gives no indication of how he is going to do this.

I know delivery drivers. LTNs are increasing their journey times to pick up and drop off. LTNs aren't making their necessary use of roads easier. Its doing the opposite.

So, are you no longer in principle in support of LTNs Gramsci ? What has changed your mind?

This is example of the problem.

Your supposed to choose one side or the other.
I'm neither hard line advocate of LTNs or part of the let's get rid of LTNs, ULEZ, Cycle lanes we hate Khan One Lambeth.

I read the Independent article and put forward my view of what Khan is saying. Is there anything incorrect about the points I made?

I do object to implementation of LTNs in pandemic without consultation.

Back
Top Bottom