Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Given that cycling is supposed to be replacing public transport during a period of emergency, a 50% increase in cyclists seems somewhat modest given the low pre COVID base of cycle vs high number of public transport journeys. Particularly when considering the scale of the interventions and that we are six months in. I look forward to seeing the actual numbers.

It would also seem important to separate out what increase is due to the interventions and what would have happened regardless as commuters sought a COVID times alternative to public transport. Is there comparable data for areas where LTNs have not been introduced?

It would also be interesting to see whether cycling remains the "peakiest" form of transport or whether this modest increase has flattened out usage throughout the day.

Cycling up Railton about 5pm this evening I had the road pretty much to myself. There was a gentle drizzle. Didn't see any clip board holders lurking.

It would also seem important to separate out what increase is due to the interventions and what would have happened regardless as commuters sought a COVID times alternative to public transport. Is there comparable data for areas where LTNs have not been introduced?

I don't have any data sorry, but I'm in an area that is due for an LTN but it has not been implemented yet. Anecdotally I can tell you that the alternative to public transport in covid times has, for most people, been the car. I'm waiting still for Lambeth to send me the stats from their 2018 transport strategy (when 10,000 vehicles a day were cited) so that our local group can do some comparisons. The fact that I now don't really use the front part of my house due to traffic noise, pollution, unable to open a window and effects on my MH tells me all I need to know, the traffic is much worse than in 2018. Before the pandemic, people would be working in central London and so wouldn't use their car at all during the daytime . They are now are now furloughed or WFH, so of course car use is going up.

On Sunday night some idiots decided to use the 'lockdown' as an excuse to start a car and motorbike race around the streets of Streatham - until the police finally came and they fucked off. What is WRONG with people??

Last edited:
I'd like to see the stats to support that assertion and know which part of Coldharbour Lane they are referring to.
Good point - I think they are monitoring the 'boundary' roads, and the part of Coldharbour which abuts the LTN is between Railton and Effra Road, as far as I can see.

Good point - I think they are monitoring the 'boundary' roads, and the part of Coldharbour which abuts the LTN is between Railton and Effra Road, as far as I can see.
Surely that would now count the same anywhere between ritzy and barrington since Railton and Atlantic not open to motors.

I would say CHL becomes a "boundary" road at the Shakespeare Rd junction or Hinton Rd junction because those are points at which someone who would otherwise drive up Shakespeare Rd towards Herne Hill would take a different route.

Show us the data they said, here it is. Oh no, not that data, that’s wrong. I think Shakespeare north being down is the interesting one. They are obviously getting all the skip lorries which were split before but I would imagine that this is offset by the lack of other through traffic. Is the plan, still to move Norris to an industrial site? If so, that would help

Since the Brixton buzz article came out the Love Lambeth article has been amended.

Added:

Car traffic levels rose 6% on Coldharbour Lane.

Lambeth say they are going to change the signal phasing on CHL to improve "traffic flows"

This reads to me that increased traffic on CHL is considered ok by Lambeth as long as traffic is reduced in the LTN.

Thanks Lambeth. CHL is the road I live on.

6% is not much tbf, especially seeing as Atlantic Road is still closed.
If the 'before' count was when Atlantic Rd was still open, and is taken on the dogstar-ritzy section of CHL then feasibly an increase on that section could be accompanied by a decrease on the barrier block section. It would certainly be helpful to see counts on the barrier block section. It could be that the number of vehicles per hour on that section is the same or has decreased, but they are moving more slowly, giving rise to the increase in queuing traffic that's been observed recently.

Since the Brixton buzz article came out the Love Lambeth article has been amended.

Added:

Lambeth say they are going to change the signal phasing on CHL to improve "traffic flows"

This reads to me that increased traffic on CHL is considered ok by Lambeth as long as traffic is reduced in the LTN.

Thanks Lambeth. CHL is the road I live on.
Notwithstanding the lack of info (like, which part of Coldharbour Lane), a claimed rise of 6% for an already busy road during a lockdown does not bode well for the future.

Notwithstanding the lack of info (like, which part of Coldharbour Lane), a claimed rise of 6% for an already busy road during a lockdown does not bode well for the future.
As I've already said, they seem to be claiming they've adjusted for London wide traffic - would need to in order to get a comparable figure for a particular week.
"compared with a baseline calculated using data from previous years, as well as considering background traffic data for the wider London network."

I'd be interested to see the figures for the stretch of Coldharbour Lane between Shakespeare Road and Brixton Road.

If baseline ( which apparently Lambeth are not very forthcoming in detail) is made up of previous years then 6% increase on CHL could be under estimate.

The Council should have measured traffic before the putting in place of road closures as well as baseline using data ( which I hope is explained more in full report next year) for last several years.

Given the unusual times traffic will not get back to normal ( if it ever does) for months.

If/When that happens will CHL get even more traffic?

TBF I don't like living on road that Council have decided to use as an experiment.

Nothing from Council on increase except helping traffic to "flow" better on my street.

Thanks Lambeth.

So 6% is not much. That's alright then.

Worth having a look at comments from people who live on Shakespeare Road North.

I was chatting to someone who lives there few weeks ago. The Norris skip lorries are thundering past at speed up the road now.

Ask and you shall receive:

Ask and you shall receive:

The local estate agents will be rubbing their hands together greedily. Another step towards that absolutely delightful little middle class gated community they so want.
The recycling waste gets pushed out onto someone elses doorstep just as they've done with the traffic and pollution.
The 15 minute village gets a step closer.

The local estate agents will be rubbing their hands together greedily. Another step towards that absolutely delightful little middle class gated community they so want.
The recycling waste gets pushed out onto someone elses doorstep just as they've done with the traffic and pollution.
The 15 minute village gets a step closer.

So do I get this right - you want to keep the recycling plant that you've moaned so much about and not have more housing built?

So do I get this right - you want to keep the recycling plant that you've moaned so much about and not have more housing built?
You're almost correct.
I've never complained about the recycling plant being where it is or doing what it does. It provides an essential service to the wider community and has to go somewhere.
My "moaning" has been about the road being blocked and all of the plants traffic being forced onto our side of the barriers.

Same answer as for the general traffic and pollution.
Do I want less traffic - of course I do
Do I want less pollution - of course I do

Do I want these things by forcing my share of the general burden onto someone else - NO!

You're almost correct.
I've never complained about the recycling plant being where it is or doing what it does. It provides an essential service to the wider community and has to go somewhere.
My "moaning" has been about the road being blocked and all of the plants traffic being forced onto our side of the barriers.

Same answer as for the general traffic and pollution.
Do I want less traffic - of course I do
Do I want less pollution - of course I do

Do I want these things by forcing my share of the general burden onto someone else - NO!
It’s not though. They are moving that recycling centre out of residential neighbourhood to an industrial estate. There will still be lorries to and from that site but until Tesla start making electric skip lorries, not a lot you can do except making the sites where they operate more suitable.

It’s not though. They are moving that recycling centre out of residential neighbourhood to an industrial estate. There will still be lorries to and from that site but until Tesla start making electric skip lorries, not a lot you can do except making the sites where they operate more suitable.
The traffic going in and out of it will be travelling up and down broadly similar streets as it is at the moment, just someone elses. The plant itself has little impact on the area other than the traffic.
Is the area any more a residential area than the area directly behind it with the large Milkwood industrial estate on it?
Maybe Lambeth, the property developers and the others in the area standing to make a load of money off of it are eyeing up the ambulance station over there for redevelopment next.

The traffic going in and out of it will be travelling up and down broadly similar streets as it is at the moment, just someone elses. The plant itself has little impact on the area other than the traffic.
Is the area any more a residential area than the area directly behind it with the large Milkwood industrial estate on it?
Maybe Lambeth, the property developers and the others in the area standing to make a load of money off of it are eyeing up the ambulance station over there for redevelopment next.
You sound like a member of the let’s keep Brixton shit campaign. I don’t really want this new development as I have concerns about the height of it, whether the local infrastructure can cope with it or how much social housing will be available but I’d rather have more housing for local people than a waste site particularly if it remains a low traffic neighbourhood

If it’s just traffic then overall this will be down due to cars not using it as a through road.

Back
Top Bottom