Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Interesting thst Green party oppose it and argue for road pricing instead. Something I think newbie has talked about earlier in this thread.

13 years ago...

The last attempt to introduce road pricing was not popular with the electorate, sadly.

I wonder if anything's changed in that regard since.

The observation I make is that whatever is proposed, lots of people pop up claiming to be supportive of the wider aims in principle, but it's just that they aren't quite happy with how this measure works, and really shouldn't we be looking at this other thing instead. And then when that other thing is proposed, it's not quite right either.

This is why I support the LTNs despite their various imperfections and despite the fact that Lambeth are in charge of them and will inevitably mess lots of things up.

Let's see if road pricing can get to the point where LTNs have got to - an actual real opportunity to attempt to make them happen ... and quite possibly a majority of people actually in favour of them, or at least, not actively against them.

The notioned C Zone extension is considerable. At a glance, by area, I'd make a guess at 50x the current zone. Overnight, drop of the hat. It doesn't smack of an integrated multi-mode transport policy, the likes of which the Netherlands has (yes that chestnut).

A 500 kilo sledgehammer related to fiscal policy, and little beyond that.

I do believe the future, in busy cities, is away from personal cars. Car clubs are all part of the mix. Making it nicer to cycle is part of the mix. Fixing the orbital public transport issue has to be part of that. Dropping a monster bomb on suburban car driving just doesn't seem to have any vision whatsoever.

(Full disclosure....as well as my lovely bicycle, I have a belching camper van that gets driven once a month at best. Totally comfortable with pay-per use on it's grotty emissions, extended LEZ, all good.)

The notioned C Zone extension is considerable. At a glance, by area, I'd make a guess at 50x the current zone. Overnight, drop of the hat. It doesn't smack of an integrated multi-mode transport policy, the likes of which the Netherlands has (yes that chestnut).

A 500 kilo sledgehammer related to fiscal policy, and little beyond that.

Which is why it looks like political posturing- given the infrastructure investment that would be required.

Looks like they decided to put the victim on the bike lane rather than the pavement in any case.

Wasn't that long ago i watched cars drive onto the pavement to get around an injured cyclist lying in the road.

Fuckin hell, in tooting they actually moved an accident victim off the road themselves so cars could pass!

If you’re not trained, you can really do someone a lot of damage moving them, in that scenario.

(tip: also, if an accident victim is wearing a helmet, do NOT try to remove it, wait for a paramedic)

This is why I support the LTNs despite their various imperfections and despite the fact that Lambeth are in charge of them and will inevitably mess lots of things up.

From my point of view Lambeth have already messed it up.

They could have said they are doing this as the government expects this of them. Incidently what a local Cllr said to me when I asked about LTNs. Cllr said Lambeth could not do the consultation that it would normally do as the Government (Tories) expected them to spend the money quickly. But they are not saying this publicly. Public presentation is what a great progressive Council they are putting LTNs in.

Lambeth is putting LTNs in at behest of this Tory Government. I dont feel its got anything to do with me. Im not in a LTN. As I live on what Lambeth classify as a main road I may or may not be adversely affected. Also Loughborough Junction ( my patch) is being left well alone by our Labour Council LTN wise. Which just goes to show if community kick up enough of a fuss they will treat you differently. Ive seen local Labour Cllrs actually are now talking to a LJ residents association about what they want road wise. Quite different tack in LJ compared to rest of borough. More softly softly approach.

Last edited:
If you’re not trained, you can really do someone a lot of damage moving them, in that scenario.

(tip: also, if an accident victim is wearing a helmet, do NOT try to remove it, wait for a paramedic)
The weird thing is, on that twitter thread, the One Wandsworth account is trying to argue that
  • the person had to be moved out of the way to restore the traffic flow
  • moving an injured person is very dangerous (as you say)
  • therefore the road arrangement is dangerous

It's completely nuts. They are actually working on a premise that restoring the traffic flow is more important than potentially doing the accident victim serious harm. They seem fully aware of the harm that can be done.

Luckily there seem to be plenty of comments telling them they are idiots.

The weird thing is, on that twitter thread, the One Wandsworth account is trying to argue that
  • the person had to be moved out of the way to restore the traffic flow
  • moving an injured person is very dangerous (as you say)
  • therefore the road arrangement is dangerous

It's completely nuts. They are actually working on a premise that restoring the traffic flow is more important than potentially doing the accident victim serious harm. They seem fully aware of the harm that can be done.

Luckily there seem to be plenty of comments telling them they are idiots.

A position endorsed by Lambeth's own Conservative councillor (retweeting OneWandsworth and blaming the Mayor)

I'm posting this for info. Apparently the dear leader crashed into a cyclist whilst driving an SUV on Sunday. Can't elaborate as I've reached my limit of ONE Glasgow Herald article this year.
But it doesn't sound very Green - or safe.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to start the consultation from the time the fines start being issued given Shakespeare Road residents have been putting up signs and telling people they can drive through up to now.
What signs? If we are not driving through why would we tell others? Some ppl do drive through you can’t always get to ppl in time to tell them not to. I’ve not seen any sign that tells ppl to do this. Can you show me what you are referring to plz. In a very divisive issues blatant untruths cause an awful lot of trouble & time wasting.

The latest thing on there seems to be that they just don't believe it's true that the majority of households in Lambeth/LTN areas don't own a car. That the numbers are being fiddled.
Everyone residential road in RailtonLTN is number to bumper to bumper cars. Brixton end too!Insude LTN grids have high car ownership. You only need to look at them parked, admittedly they could be ‘overnight guests’ lots of them.

Everyone residential road in RailtonLTN is number to bumper to bumper cars. Brixton end too!Insude LTN grids have high car ownership. You only need to look at them parked, admittedly they could be ‘overnight guests’ lots of them.
Yes, a whole swathe of public space that could be allocated to the benefit of a broader section of the community, is given over to a minority of car-owning residents.

of course, some of them could also be cars owned by people living on main roads that don't have on street parking directly. Regardless, with many properties in Lambeth subdivided into (sometimes as many as 4) flats a car outside each building is not inconsistent with 40% household car ownership.

of course, some of them could also be cars owned by people living on main roads that don't have on street parking directly. Regardless, with many properties in Lambeth subdivided into (sometimes as many as 4) flats a car outside each building is not inconsistent with 40% household car ownership.
It’s unlikely. if they have residents permits they will have parking on their road and further inside the LTN. But the roads have always be Chicago with owner car storage.

You mean the Poet’s Corner streets? The many houses divided into up to four flats, plus all the houses on Dulwich Road which are also flats?

LTN are not places of low car ownership. The value of average properties within will also be an indicator of increased car ownership.

You mean the Poet’s Corner streets? The many houses divided into up to four flats, plus all the houses on Dulwich Road which are also flats?
You think the houses on poets corner are divided into 4 flats a piece? They are not. But we could find out? Also which of those folks own cars?

Back
Top Bottom