Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

They're really going for it at the Effra Social

View attachment 262095

So Antic aren't still harbouring hopes that the pubs that Portobello took will be returned to them, 'sooner rather than later'?

That depressing front area needed a job done on it. I hope that there are still affordable pints under Portobello's ownership. I went to Knowles of Norwood just before the latest lockdown, it too had been taken over from Antic, and the food and drink was poor and expensive. The staff also didnt have a clue what they were doing, but the takeover had just happened so to be expected really.

I've whiled away many hours sat there but I really don't understand how they managed to get away with that parking forecourt becoming a beer garden. It's right under people's windows and can't help but be intrusive.

I've whiled away many hours sat there but I really don't understand how they managed to get away with that parking forecourt becoming a beer garden. It's right under people's windows and can't help but be intrusive.
It certainly looks a lot better than what was there before though.

So Antic aren't still harbouring hopes that the pubs that Portobello took will be returned to them, 'sooner rather than later'?

That depressing front area needed a job done on it. I hope that there are still affordable pints under Portobello's ownership. I went to Knowles of Norwood just before the latest lockdown, it too had been taken over from Antic, and the food and drink was poor and expensive. The staff also didnt have a clue what they were doing, but the takeover had just happened so to be expected really.
Typical of Antic.
Really are a shit show of a company.

"But they are cheap though.'

Yeah there is a reason for that....

It doesn't look to me like Effra Social have any planning permission for that pergola thing in their front garden.

There's a 2019 planning application (revised during 2020) and a 2020 Rush Common application both of which show this layout for the front garden and only seem to relate to providing a new access along the side (along with bins stores etc) for the flats on the upper floors.

Screenshot 2021-04-09 at 13.17.21.jpg

There are currently special rules (which run until 2022 I think) to allow places like pubs to temporarily put up things like marquees in situations where they'd normally need planning permission.

That structure doesn't look very temporary.

I wonder how many venues are going to chance it by putting stuff up and then hope they can get away with it just staying there until after 2022.

It doesn't look to me like Effra Social have any planning permission for that pergola thing in their front garden.
I walked past just a few minutes ago and wondered exactly the same. Today there is a prominent pink sign going in along the front boundary that looks like it will be illuminated come nightfall. Lit or not, it is nonetheless larger than the 0.3m2 threshold for planning permission.

Surely it's covered by this:

Under the new measures, these venues will no longer need to apply to local councils for planning permission to put up marquees, gazebos, awnings and so on. They will also be allowed to keep them up for longer: current regulations say that such structures can only be in place for up to 28 days.

Hospitality businesses will have greater flexibly to set up marquees and provide more outdoor space for diners as restrictions ease, the Government has announced.
The measures form part of a wider support package announced at the weekend by Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick, which also includes a new £56m 'Welcome Back Fund' intended to help councils boost tourism, improve green spaces and provide more outdoor seating areas, markets and food stall pop-ups.

Businesses such as pubs and restaurants, including those with premises that are in listed buildings, will be able to erect gazebos and marquees without obtaining planning permission in a bid to get more of the sector open when restrictions on outdoor hospitality settings are due to lift on 12 April.

The temporary shelters will be allowed to be kept up for the whole summer, rather than the 28 days currently permitted.

I walked past just a few minutes ago and wondered exactly the same. Today there is a prominent pink sign going in along the front boundary that looks like it will be illuminated come nightfall. Lit or not, it is nonetheless larger than the 0.3m2 threshold for planning permission.
Here is what they are supposed to be building, if you want to go back with your tape measure :thumbs:

Screenshot 2021-04-09 at 14.18.45.jpg

Here is what they are supposed to be building, if you want to go back with your tape measure :thumbs:

View attachment 262419
Hmm. Well it's not that. Individual letters that are either on stalks or spaced off a metal grid. I was on the other side of the street so didn't look that closely.

The pergola looks to have light and power and to be set in place using metposts or placed onto concrete pads. I'd imagine they could still argue it is a temporary structure in that a couple of people with a saw and a power driver could whip it down in a day.

Hmm. Well it's not that. Individual letters that are either on stalks or spaced off a metal grid. I was on the other side of the street so didn't look that closely.

The pergola looks to have light and power and to be set in place using metposts or placed onto concrete pads. I'd imagine they could still argue it is a temporary structure in that a couple of people with a saw and a power driver could whip it down in a day.
I imagine that it can be temporary if it has to be and when the pandemic calms down they'll apply to make it permanent. I couldn't give much of a fuck about their small sign when the nearby Sainsbury's can get away with a sign so monstrously big and bright that I can see it from half a mile away at night.

I imagine that it can be temporary if it has to be and when the pandemic calms down they'll apply to make it temporary. I couldn't give much of a fuck about their small sign when the nearby Sainsbury's can get away with a sign so monstrously big and bright that I can see it from half a mile away at night.
Only that's not how the planning process works, is it? Illuminated signs always need consent.

Only that's not how the planning process works, is it? Illuminated signs always need consent.
I was referring to the covered area. Like I said, I can't get particularly worked up over their sign, at least not before I get to see the thing.

I was referring to the covered area. Like I said, I can't get particularly worked up over their sign, at least not before I get to see the thing.
I don't have a view on any of it really. This is just musing about what they do and do not have consent for, and what relaxations are currently allowed. If they're sticking in an illuminated sign of any kind without consent, then Planning will notice it before long. If they're sticking in a pergola using current relaxations for outdoor dining, then I'd imagine there is much more bandwidth for interpretation.

I don't imagine the new rules would cover Rush Common consent which is not actually planning legislation - it is just that planning have the task of applying and enforcing the legislation.

Under original Rush Common legislation immediate neighbours affected by building on Rush Common land were permitted to take down any structure built above the level of the earth. Councils were later granted the right to enforce this themselves (because no one was taking enforcement action). I'm not sure whether the council rights were in addition to the neighbour's rights, or replaced them.

I don't imagine the new rules would cover Rush Common consent which is not actually planning legislation - it is just that planning have the task of applying and enforcing the legislation.

Under original Rush Common legislation immediate neighbours affected by building on Rush Common land were permitted to take down any structure built above the level of the earth. Councils were later granted the right to enforce this themselves (because no one was taking enforcement action). I'm not sure whether the council rights were in addition to the neighbour's rights, or replaced them.
Indeed. Rush Common consent will be another complication they will need to navigate on that site.

Anyone know if the Crown & Sceptre on Streatham Hill is opening on Monday 12th April?

I will probably walk past it tomorrow and I can see if they have a sign up on the doors, if so. I saw the Hand & Hand has plans to open Monday. I think the Sultan too although I didn't pay attention when I walked past today.

I will probably walk past it tomorrow and I can see if they have a sign up on the doors, if so. I saw the Hand & Hand has plans to open Monday. I think the Sultan too although I didn't pay attention when I walked past today.
Thank you!

Ok no signs on the door setting out that they're open tomorrow. A quick look around the building showed some signs of life so presumably they have plans
Thanks for the report back. I tried calling them but it sounded like the phone was disconnected and their FB account has been deleted. Looks like Hand in Hand is opening on the 16th and The Sultan on the 12th. Thanks again 😊

Some photos from last night:

In photos: Pub gardens reopen in Brixton and Tulse Hill, Mon 12th April 2021

Back
Top Bottom