Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Curry Paradise.
I really want to like CP more than I do. Zak the owner is a lovely guy and has done great things with it since he took over the old takeaway window from his dad 15 years ago. Plus he is the force behind Pizza Brixton, which is excellent.

Yet somehow I’ve never found the food at CP much better than OK. Not bad at all, but not great either.

For Brixton curry house completists, I ought also mention that there is Bombay Inn further up the hill. Not my favourite.

I really want to like CP more than I do. Zak the owner is a lovely guy and has done great things with it since he took over the old takeaway window from his dad 15 years ago. Plus he is the force behind Pizza Brixton, which is excellent.

Yet somehow I’ve never found the food at CP much better than OK. Not bad at all, but not great either.

For Brixton curry house completists, I ought also mention that there is Bombay Inn further up the hill. Not my favourite.

TBF I haven't been there since I moved a bit further out from Brixton 6 years ago, but back then I thought it was pretty good. Khans is still the best and if I do find myself in Brixton for a curry it would be my go to. Forgot about Bombay Inn but I always thought they were a bit meh.

Curry paradise is excellent imo.
Friendly/attentive/ community spirited not to mention very decent food at a good price.
Always go in after a gig at Windmill.
Would love to go there after a gig at the Windmill but that's not really been possible recently. We get take aways for our kid quite a lot cause they like it. Zak is
a great guy and always remembers what they want. I miss the veg/ non veg tali they used to do about 10 years ago. Great value! I think the dishes they serve are a bit bland but hey, after a few pints and a good old jump around at the Windmill most things would taste great.

Would love to go there after a gig at the Windmill but that's not really been possible recently. We get take aways for our kid quite a lot cause they like it. Zak is
a great guy and always remembers what they want. I miss the veg/ non veg tali they used to do about 10 years ago. Great value! I think the dishes they serve are a bit bland but hey, after a few pints and a good old jump around at the Windmill most things would taste great.
Zak's put a few new things on the menu - the Xacuti is fantastic. And - before the last lockdown - he started a tali night once a week. As it is five mins from me, I go there far too often

Zak's put a few new things on the menu - the Xacuti is fantastic. And - before the last lockdown - he started a tali night once a week. As it is five mins from me, I go there far too often
Sounds like I need to give him another go, he's on my doorstep too. His food is always nicely-presented and fresh-tasting - I've just found the flavours a little meek and the use of oil sometimes too liberal.
As a predominantly veggie household we tend to order more from the South Indian places in Tooting, where the likelihood of getting a universal mix of slightly overboiled chopped veg added to ready-made sauces is somewhat reduced.

Sounds like I need to give him another go, he's on my doorstep too. His food is always nicely-presented and fresh-tasting - I've just found the flavours a little meek and the use of oil sometimes too liberal.
As a predominantly veggie household we tend to order more from the South Indian places in Tooting, where the likelihood of getting a universal mix of slightly overboiled chopped veg added to ready-made sauces is somewhat reduced.

Agree on Curry Paradise. Bebs Kitchen on Acre Lane pretty good for veggie stuff.

Do the Tooting places deliver? Which one do you recommend?

I agree that Curry Paradise is delightfully friendly but I always thought that their dishes are (were - it's ages since I ate there) a bit on the samey and sloppy sauce side . I certainly wouldn't say no to one but I probably wouldn't choose it.

I rarely use Kahns now. It's still great curry (nearly always mirchi lamb) but it's cash only and, as it's about the only place I need cash for these days, I can't usually be arsed.

For a reliable dirty take out it's the wonderfully named Dial a Curry in Herne Hill for me (chicken tikka naga sag). And as of recently Rajah Rowing when I'm pushing the boat out (or fancy lamb). The latter is pricey (especially the rices and breads) but if you want a lamb dish, the meat is always fantastic and the spices are delicate and subtle.

Agree on Curry Paradise. Bebs Kitchen on Acre Lane pretty good for veggie stuff.

Tooting places can be hit and miss with delivery to Brixton. I'm in SW2 and can normally convince them over the phone if the order is over £30 - especially those at the Tooting Bec end. Kolam is good for eat-in and delivery. Also Radha Krishna Bhavan but distance is more of a stretch for them. Dosa n Chutny are great but won't cross the South Circular. Lots of our favourites are more of the canteen-type places with wipe-down surfaces and steel plates. They don't tend towards long relaxed meals with bottles of cold lager...

Tooting places can be hit and miss with delivery to Brixton. I'm in SW2 and can normally convince them over the phone if the order is over £30 - especially those at the Tooting Bec end. Kolam is good for eat-in and delivery. Also Radha Krishna Bhavan but distance is more of a stretch for them. Dosa n Chutny are great but won't cross the South Circular. Lots of our favourites are more of the canteen-type places with wipe-down surfaces and steel plates. They don't tend towards long relaxed meals with bottles of cold lager...

Cheers. I have fond memories of Kastoori and Milan before that. RIP.

I agree that Curry Paradise is delightfully friendly but I always thought that their dishes are (were - it's ages since I ate there) a bit on the samey and sloppy sauce side . I certainly wouldn't say no to one but I probably wouldn't choose it.

I rarely use Kahns now. It's still great curry (nearly always mirchi lamb) but it's cash only and, as it's about the only place I need cash for these days, I can't usually be arsed.

For a reliable dirty take out it's the wonderfully named Dial a Curry in Herne Hill for me (chicken tikka naga sag). And as of recently Rajah Rowing when I'm pushing the boat out (or fancy lamb). The latter is pricey (especially the rices and breads) but if you want a lamb dish, the meat is always fantastic and the spices are delicate and subtle.
Dial a Curry is a crowd-pleaser with our kids - they do all the coconuty and lemony things and the mild creamy sauces v well. My occasionally omnivorous partner swears by their Kata Gosht. Really fast delivery too.

Dial a Curry is a crowd-pleaser with our kids - they do all the coconuty and lemony things and the mild creamy sauces v well. My occasionally omnivorous partner swears by their Kata Gosht. Really fast delivery too.
Recommended to me by buscador when I moved to Herne Hill but it took a while before I overcame the name snobbery* and gave it a go . :D We often share a main and a side and a rice and bread delivered for less than £14. They do a great paratha!

*Whenever I recommend it to people I have to reassure them that I'm serious!

Places in Tooting, particularly the good ones, have plenty of local and regular custom on their hands round the clock to have the time to take delivery seriously, i have never bothered myself but can imagine ordering 1 will lead to a very long wait, and cold food with missing items when it eventually turns up. The casual element of the restaurants just isn't geared up for the Deliveroo/Uber Eats slick operation.

If you are in the area i would recommend sticking to the ones where alcohol is banned, as the food is normally better. Dawat is a particular favourite of mine. Ones like Mirch Masala which is BYOB you'll find average food with lots of booze getting knocked back by loud groups.

I love Khans, and I also like Curry Paradise. I think Khans uses more salt than CP. I always get far more thirsty after a Khans than a CP.

I can recommend Bombay Kitchen on New Park Road for takeaways. You might find them similarly “not as good as Khans” but I enjoy them.

I only eat vegetable curry dishes, can’t say anything about the meat ones.

The other thing I prefer about Khans is that their pilau rice isn’t candy coloured.

Recommended to me by buscador when I moved to Herne Hill but it took a while before I overcame the name snobbery* and gave it a go . :D We often share a main and a side and a rice and bread delivered for less than £14. They do a great paratha!

*Whenever I recommend it to people I have to reassure them that I'm serious!

I currently still have the name snobbery, surely somewhere named 'dial a curry' cant be much good? :hmm:

I would highly recommend "Curry Leaves" on Falcon Road (Battersea), which deliver to Brixton. Excellent Nepalese place, the Trip Advisor reviews aren't exaggerating- if you like it hot you wont be disappointed with the hot dishes.

Last edited:
I currently still have the name snobbery, surely somewhere named 'dial a curry' cant be much good? :hmm:
Took us a while to see past it too - but recommended so heartily by a pal that we had to try. We order from them maybe once every six-eight weeks, and have done so for about 5 years now. A very trad menu but always well done. Big portions, no artificial colours, never oily and very reasonably priced. Friendly drivers, and they have their own app so no need to let Just-Eat and their like do their usual scalping.

Noticed yesterday they are laying a new floor in Brixton Market, it's several inches thick concrete and higher than the previous one. Although probably a lot more practical for access and items with wheels it does have a lot less charm and character than the old one. Sure it wont take long to look like old mind.

Noticed yesterday they are laying a new floor in Brixton Market, it's several inches thick concrete and higher than the previous one. Although probably a lot more practical for access and items with wheels it does have a lot less charm and character than the old one. Sure it wont take long to look like old mind.
It's not finished yet as the swishy finish is yet to bad laid down.

Curry paradise is excellent imo.
Friendly/attentive/ community spirited not to mention very decent food at a good price.
Always go in after a gig at Windmill.
Yes, Curry Paradise has improved immensely in recent years. I used to call it Curry Purgatory a few years back but I think a year or so ago they must have got a new chef. It's in a different league now. I actually prefer it to Khan's :eek:. It's always had a home cooked feel to it but now the veg is lovely and crunchy and the flavours very fresh.

Yes, Curry Paradise has improved immensely in recent years. I used to call it Curry Purgatory a few years back but I think a year or so ago they must have got a new chef. It's in a different league now. I actually prefer it to Khan's :eek:. It's always had a home cooked feel to it but now the veg is lovely and crunchy and the flavours very fresh.

A new chef, or a chef 'that has left' can make a huge difference to curry places. There was a Nepalese place in Tulse Hill called 'Saffron' which was a brilliant take away which went to shit after the chef left, and now closed down.

A new chef, or a chef 'that has left' can make a huge difference to curry places. There was a Nepalese place in Tulse Hill called 'Saffron' which was a brilliant take away which went to shit after the chef left, and now closed down.
It was the demise of Saffron that drove us to Dial a Curry!

Back
Top Bottom