Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

It's not my bag either but these venues have got to do something to pay the bills!

Im glad they managed to take some money over the last year, and well done to them for having the foresight to get it all in place. Once restrictions are lifted I'd much rather it reverts back to its more 'underground' club format that has worked so well before. The setup of it all as the 'Brixton Courtyard' reminds me of POP Brixton aiming for the bottomless brunch crowd.

Still rather intrigued on their plans for the 414, which we know not a huge amount thus far.

Im glad they managed to take some money over the last year, and well done to them for having the foresight to get it all in place. Once restrictions are lifted I'd much rather it reverts back to its more 'underground' club format that has worked so well before. The setup of it all as the 'Brixton Courtyard' reminds me of POP Brixton aiming for the bottomless brunch crowd.

Still rather intrigued on their plans for the 414, which we know not a huge amount thus far.
I went past last week and saw that both floors were being stripped out. I think they'll do a pretty good job if they stick to their original plans*.

*disclaimer: I have had some say in those!

Im not sure if its been mentioned before, but big thumbs up to "Beb's Kitchen" on Acre Lane. Top quality curry with not even so much as a drop of grease visible. Handed over by a friendly, softly spoken man, with a handwritten thank you for the custom note on the takeaway bag. Will go in there after lockdown where you are permitted to BYOB.

Reactions: han
Can highly recommend a new food delivery service based in Brixton - every meal you buy provides a free one for someone in need.

Cook to Care has been providing 1,000 free meals a week to those in need in Lambeth and beyond since March 2020. Jojo, the founder (a woman with more energy than British Gas) has just started this new service every Tuesday. I'm just lying on the sofa in a food coma, having tried it out. Delicious, fresh cooked, flavourful, healthy, vegetarian/vegan food, delivered to you door by bicycle. I ordered a meal bundle for £10 and £3.50 delivery - excellent sized portions, plenty for 2 people. I meant to take a photo but it food didn't hang around for long!

If you're fed up with cooking and fancy a night off, do give it a try - you can stuff your face and know you're helping someone out.

Had a delivery from Sureh this week (based on this recommendation) and was fantastic, I got the 18£ bundle that was enough for 3 generous portions. Highly suggest you give it a go!

Im not sure if its been mentioned before, but big thumbs up to "Beb's Kitchen" on Acre Lane. Top quality curry with not even so much as a drop of grease visible. Handed over by a friendly, softly spoken man, with a handwritten thank you for the custom note on the takeaway bag. Will go in there after lockdown where you are permitted to BYOB.

Seconded. Now our go-to curry place. Lovely couple running it who have been in Dubai for the last few years I think.

Had a delivery from Sureh this week (based on this recommendation) and was fantastic, I got the 18£ bundle that was enough for 3 generous portions. Highly suggest you give it a go!
Thank you so much for ordering, and I'm so happy that you liked the food. It's great value and you can stuff your face knowing it's providing a meal for someone without
🥰

I'm definitely going to try Beb's Kitchen - maybe on Friday to celebrate hendo getting his vaccine!

Can anyone recommend a good takeaway/delivery sushi place locally? I'm craving raw fish after six months without it.... gaijingirl Winot

I'm definitely going to try Beb's Kitchen - maybe on Friday to celebrate hendo getting his vaccine!

Can anyone recommend a good takeaway/delivery sushi place locally? I'm craving raw fish after six months without it.... gaijingirl Winot

Sorry no ideas. Not sure I’ve had sushi in Brixton since the days of the long-departed Ichiban Sushi.

There's not a good choice locally unfortunately (there is Ramen and other Japanese foods) but I get deliveries from a place called The Umi which is in Balham. Or I just make it at home.

I hadn't realised Ichiban has gone Winot. That's really sad. We went there for my "wedding eve" meal with my "maid of honour " who lived in the same tiny village as me in Japan and the best man etc. When I first came back from Japan and was desperately homesick I'd go there for a bowl of udon and cry into it. :D

Last edited:
Yes, a great loss.

There's this place in Brixton Road - SW9 Sushi Bar - SW9 Sushi Bar

Only been there a couple of times but not recently - it's a bit too far for my lunchtime walk. But I think there is, or was, a connection with Ichiban, as the original sushi chef had previously, a long time ago, worked at Ichiban. Possibly.

Yes, a great loss.

There's this place in Brixton Road - SW9 Sushi Bar - SW9 Sushi Bar

Only been there a couple of times but not recently - it's a bit too far for my lunchtime walk. But I think there is, or was, a connection with Ichiban, as the original sushi chef had previously, a long time ago, worked at Ichiban. Possibly.
Yes. I was trying to remember the name of this place. You're right about the connection. I don't know about now but when it first opened it had an identical menu.

There's not a good choice locally unfortunately (there is Ramen and other Japanese foods) but I get deliveries from a place called The Umi which is in Balham. Or I just make it at home.

I hadn't realised Ichiban has gone Winot. That's really sad. We went there for my "wedding eve" meal with my "maid of honour " who lived in the same tiny village as me in Japan and the best man etc. When I first came back from Japan and was desperately homesick I'd go there for a bowl of udon and cry into it. :D

I'll have a look at The Umi. Thanks.

A spot of internet research tells me that there is a sushi pop-up operating out of Ichiban called Kurisu Omakase. They appear to be only on Instagram and from 14th March are doing takeway. Limited boxes, 4 menu items. :hmm:

Ah OK maybe I’ve got it wrong. The Instagram site has a post suggesting they are open, or at least reopen from 14 March.

I think we went through a stage of calling to book and they never answered and never seemed to be open so assumed they had closed.

they were open last summer but somewhat erratic, they were doing some sort of internal building work on the first floor a couple of weeks ago - they own the building

I've been to Ichiban in the last few years. Glad it's not gone. I've also been to Tsunami Ms T but like Winot it was ages ago when it first opened. It was lovely but not so lovely that I've returned.

A spot of internet research tells me that there is a sushi pop-up operating out of Ichiban called Kurisu Omakase. They appear to be only on Instagram and from 14th March are doing takeway. Limited boxes, 4 menu items. :hmm:

The name suggests it's run by someone called Chris. Omakase is just a bit like "chef's selection/choice".

Back
Top Bottom