Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I just got a delivery - delicious spicy aubergine dish, saffron rice, roast cauliflower & salad, and beautiful cake - recommended (sorry not the most appetising pic)View attachment 251572
I'm so glad your both loved the food! I didn't order this week, I'm gutted I missed out on the cake !
And it's really good to know that your meal provides another one free to someone in need!
Thanks for supporting Cook to Care!
Xx

Biang the Noodle is a new takeaway cooking out of the kitchen at Hootananny

Biang the Noodle on Just Eat

They do handmade biang biang noodles (big hand-stretched wheat noodles, really delicious and filling) with freshly made sauces. The chefs have done pop-ups before at The Shrub & Shutter on Coldhardbour Lane, the Old Nun's Head, Brockwell Blend and a few others.

Worth a go if you like big flavours and the vegan options are excellent if you're veganuarying!

:)

biang biang.jpgbiang 2.jpg

I notice True Flavours had a burly, SIA badged security guard on the door at lunchtime today, presumably to control numbers in the premises. The owners can't be too chuffed at having to fork out that extra expense.

I notice True Flavours had a burly, SIA badged security guard on the door at lunchtime today, presumably to control numbers in the premises. The owners can't be too chuffed at having to fork out that extra expense.
The owners are probably very grateful to continue to be open. That place can become fairly jammed so crowd control will need to be taken care of.

I'm not surprised that they had to get one in though. Whenever I've gone past there's always been a load of people milling about.

Was chatting to local business person today.

Asking how they were getting on.

Was saying that delivery companies like Deliveroo are making a lot of money out of this pandemic. To keep ones small business afloat some business have been using Deliveroo / Uber Eats.

But it does not work out as these app companies want big slice of money for it.

For just being the middle man they are exploiting hard working small business and the delivery people on their bikes.

Another thing apparently some of the petty bourgeouis landlords are moaning about small business not being able to pay rent and how they cannot evict them straight away due to pandemic.

My heart bleeds for them. :rolleyes:

Was saying that delivery companies like Deliveroo are making a lot of money out of this pandemic. To keep ones small business afloat some business have been using Deliveroo / Uber Eats.

For just being the middle man they are exploiting hard working small business and the delivery people on their bikes.
Yep, Deliveroo etc. charge 35% to small individual businesses and 15% to the likes of McDonalds etc. hence why on the odd occasion we get a takeaway I always phone direct and walk down and pick it up

I get one or two takeaways a week and will always go direct, especially if they are close- ill get off my arse and walk there rather than sit and tap my phone.

These apps frankly benefit no one apart from the offshore tech companies that own them. From a customer point of view- the price of menu items is higher than if you went direct, they then charge a service fee and delivery fee on top of that, it can be upto 30% more expensive for the same delivery order. They then give it to some random on a bike who doesnt give a shit about the restaurant or its reputation, so long waits and spilt food are common. Then, if things do go wrong, the restaurant and the app just point the finger of blame at each other.

From a restaurant point of view, i suppose i can see a benefit where if they dont want to invest in in-house staff, the apps do the service for them, but the commission they are charged is way over the top. Plus the damage to their reputation when a stroppy youth on a bicycle delivers a ruined curry or cold pizza cant be great for business.

Still, the apps invest heavily in marketing, Just Eat paying Snoop Dog in their latest adverts must have cost a few million, and the younger generation just love a smart phone and an app. They dont care about paying more if it is every so slightly easier and smoother on a mobile phone. These food apps are definitely here to stay.

I get one or two takeaways a week and will always go direct, especially if they are close- ill get off my arse and walk there rather than sit and tap my phone.

These apps frankly benefit no one apart from the offshore tech companies that own them. From a customer point of view- the price of menu items is higher than if you went direct, they then charge a service fee and delivery fee on top of that, it can be upto 30% more expensive for the same delivery order. They then give it to some random on a bike who doesnt give a shit about the restaurant or its reputation, so long waits and spilt food are common. Then, if things do go wrong, the restaurant and the app just point the finger of blame at each other.

From a restaurant point of view, i suppose i can see a benefit where if they dont want to invest in in-house staff, the apps do the service for them, but the commission they are charged is way over the top. Plus the damage to their reputation when a stroppy youth on a bicycle delivers a ruined curry or cold pizza cant be great for business.

Still, the apps invest heavily in marketing, Just Eat paying Snoop Dog in their latest adverts must have cost a few million, and the younger generation just love a smart phone and an app. They dont care about paying more if it is every so slightly easier and smoother on a mobile phone. These food apps are definitely here to stay.

Forgot the local business person I was talking to mentioned the service charge.

I agree these app only benefit the offshore companies.

It is example of the kind of Capitalism that operates now. Rentier capitalism.

I noticed a local pizza place to me used to use one of the apps. Then saw they were advertising in their window for moped drivers. So were trying to get away from apps.

I do deliveries ( not deliveroo or food) and know people who work for these apps

Deliveroo started out as good start up to work for. When they got big they stopped giving a fuck about their "workforce". They deny they are a workforce as they are "self employed". So given this why should the drivers give a shit?

One thing about the algorithms that run these apps. If you work all hours the algorithm puts you up the list and you get decent jobs. Go off sick , work part time or take a holiday you drop down and have to work back up again. I know this from talking to delivery people.

Given that most working class jobs are zero contracts. "self employed" its hardly surprising the workforce interface wiith client is poor.

Listening to the Bottom Line on Radio Four today. Economist pointed out that pandemic has worsened inequality.

Those working in service sector like waiters ( working class jobs) have seen their meagre savings reduced to cover lack of income/ reduced income. Whilst the better off are doing ok. Savings increased as not going out or paying for travel.

Kind of depressing.

Lot of people I know are going out doing these service jobs like deliveries getting less money.

Goes for some of the smalll business people I know- sole traders.

Middle classes have in relative terms done alright.

I use Deliveroo as a menu to find restaurants. I then contact the restaurants directly and usually split the difference as a tip for the driver.

Same with Amazon, Uber Eats, Just Eat, etc etc etc. Also, usually if a place doesn't accept cash I pass. Visa and Mastercard can shove their middleman nonsense up their backside as well.

I tend to think about it like beating an opponent in a board game. -2 me +1 restaurant +1 deliveroo, vs -2 me +2 restaurant +0 deliveroo.

The net difference is enormous. It's not just the additional amount the restaurant gets, but the fact that you're not feeding the beast.

Listening to the Bottom Line on Radio Four today. Economist pointed out that pandemic has worsened inequality.

Those working in service sector like waiters ( working class jobs) have seen their meagre savings reduced to cover lack of income/ reduced income. Whilst the better off are doing ok. Savings increased as not going out or paying for travel.

Kind of depressing.

Lot of people I know are going out doing these service jobs like deliveries getting less money.

Goes for some of the smalll business people I know- sole traders.

Middle classes have in relative terms done alright.

It's worsened all forms of inequality.

Lockdown has basically been a policy tailored around nuclear families in big old houses.

Social distancing is all well and good if you're working from the second study with your husband and cats, planning lockdown babies and saving ten grand a year on two season tickets having the "inadvertent foresight" to buy a cheap house a billion miles away from anything.

Not so much if you're a 35 year old woman, renting on her own in a wee flat, going insane from lack of contact and worrying about whether you'll ever be able to start a family or whether you'll even be allowed to start dating before the biological clock runs out.

It's worsened all forms of inequality.

Lockdown has basically been a policy tailored around nuclear families in big old houses.

The first point is true. What I don’t understand is the “tailored around” bit. It is what it is because that’s what’s required to stop the virus.

Biang the Noodle is a new takeaway cooking out of the kitchen at Hootananny

Biang the Noodle on Just Eat

They do handmade biang biang noodles (big hand-stretched wheat noodles, really delicious and filling) with freshly made sauces. The chefs have done pop-ups before at The Shrub & Shutter on Coldhardbour Lane, the Old Nun's Head, Brockwell Blend and a few others.

Worth a go if you like big flavours and the vegan options are excellent if you're veganuarying!

:)

View attachment 252041View attachment 252042
I was quite up for this as my first takeaway of the year but they seem to have disappeared already. 😡

The first point is true. What I don’t understand is the “tailored around” bit. It is what it is because that’s what’s required to stop the virus.

I will only post on this subject once more as I do not wish to derail the thread.

If, in a theoretical world, "stopping the virus" required forcibly breaking up wealthy homeowners and their nuclear families, we simply would not have done it.

I am happy to continue this discussion via PM, though bear in mind I will not engage in a discussion which only takes into account the single variable of coronavirus above all else.

Last edited:
There was this great feature in the Economist's 1843 mag a couple of weeks back about these delivery platforms and their impact on local restaurants. Amongst those quoted is the owner of the Olive & Meze chain, which has a branch in Clapham. Crazy the markup they charge - for many of these restaurants, they're barely breaking even using them.

Also as an aside, there's a great Google Chrome paywall bypasser available here (scroll down for instructions)

If anyone wants a recommendation for a Sunday roast delivery. Kennington Park Cafe on Just Eat.
Currently eating one. And it's absolutely delicious! Large tray filled with food.
My first time after finding it on Google.
Certainly won't be my last! 😋

do you have a link please....I’m a bit surprised by this cos I am very familiar with Kennington park cafe and I thought they only served up pizza....

Back
Top Bottom