Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Long gone are the days when many grassroots start ups get a look in now...
Kricket, which is backed by the White Rabbit Fund, moved from Brixton to a first permanent restaurant in Soho last year, and will are confirmed for a second location a Television Centre, the former home of the BBC, in July. That will be a 140-cover restaurant and is significantly bigger and “more complex” than the site on Denman Street in Soho.

Campbell and Bowlby have also created a new delivery company called Namma by Kricket, which recently launched in partnership with Deliveroo Editions in Whitechapel, east London.

Brindisa, which was established in 2004, continues to operate restaurants in Soho, Picadilly, Borough, Shoreditch and South Kensington; it has food shops in Balham and Borough Market.
The White Rabbit Fund are all about 'PROVIDING CAPITAL AND ADVISORY SERVICES TO AMBITIOUS ENTREPRENEURS WITHIN THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY'.

Brixton Village seems to have been a successful place for start ups to prove themselves and expand from (Honest Burger, Franco Manca, Kricket). For a grass roots start up to take on a property like the Brindisia site would be a huge undertaking, whilst the smaller units in the village are less risky and capital draining.

Is Kricket guy's mum behind White Rabbit? It's possible that I've missremembered but I think she's one of the dragons on Dragon's Den.

Brixton Village seems to have been a successful place for start ups to prove themselves and expand from (Honest Burger, Franco Manca, Kricket). For a grass roots start up to take on a property like the Brindisia site would be a huge undertaking, whilst the smaller units in the village are less risky and capital draining.
There seems precious little space for local grassroots start-ups in Brixton these days as the well heeled/well connected entrepreneurs seem to be first in the queue.

That's quite a fluff piece full of backslapping references to her amazing charideeee work and achievements.

It puts to bed any notion that Kricket was some sort of plucky grassroots start-up from the Brixton community. In fact, Mummy bought up a multi-national ATM provider business in 2010 and has "received numerous business and industry awards for entrepreneurship," so there must be plenty of cash slopping around for any entrepreneurial offspring. Which must be nice.

That's quite a fluff piece full of backslapping references to her amazing charideeee work and achievements.

It puts to bed any notion that Kricket was some sort of plucky grassroots start-up from the Brixton community. In fact, Mummy bought up a multi-national ATM provider business in 2010 and has "received numerous business and industry awards for entrepreneurship," so there must be plenty of cash slopping around for any entrepreneurial offspring. Which must be nice.

I didn't say it was a grass roots local start up. just a start up.

The original idea of Pop helping local grassroots start-ups was fantastic and such a lost opportunity. There should be space in any council funded/backed schemes like Pop that can legally only be occupied by small local start ups at peppercorn rent.

The original idea of Pop helping local grassroots start-ups was fantastic and such a lost opportunity. There should be space in any council funded/backed schemes like Pop that can legally only be occupied by small local start ups at peppercorn rent.
Indeed. I was all for Pop Brixton until the grassroots local element was swiftly shunted to one side and the NZ wine importers, well connected entrepreneurs and property guardians turned up.

Passing mention of Kricket in last weeks Times Money section in a profile of Jenny Campbell (paywall: TV dragon bites into red tape that stops teens finding Saturday jobs)

Don't know these people from Adam, but I guess that even people with rich / connected parents have the right to have a job / start businesses, though doubtless his path was smoother than for others. Either way, ate in Kricket once and it was excellent

Ya Hala on Coldharbour Lane has metamorphosed into Paramount (although I think that was its original name on Google Maps so maybe it's the same people). I hope this shizzy makeover hasn't resulted in the prices going up...

2018-04-25_200955.jpg

Alpes in Pop Brixton is half price until Sunday. Might be a good shout for the pissy weather coming up for the weekend.

I wish them luck in their new venture but I’m not sure how suited the food will be to a sticky London summer. I’d have waited until October to launch maybe.

A new shop/takeaway place called 'Vegan Crepes & Store' seems to be opening soon at roughly 232 Brixton Road. Can't see any mention of it online and I'm guessing at the road number as I was on a passing bus at the time.

Its fab! Super cheap, all veggie and with some vegan stuff. V tasty. Big portions, but save room for the sweet gallettes.
Strong coffee too. Friendly peeps

Back
Top Bottom