Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

It must be nice to have enough capital to be able to finance a better work/life balanced lifestyle, especially in Brixton where the recent stampede of entrepreneurs and well-heeled lifestyle changers have pushed the rents so high.

It isn’t always about having a load of capital/or having it handed to them on a plate. People start out small, develop businesses whilst still working full or part time, or save really hard over a long period to fund businesses. They aren’t all well heeled incomers either. Many I know who have started businesses have lived in Brixton for years - including myself.

It isn’t always about having a load of capital/or having it handed to them on a plate. People start out small, develop businesses whilst still working full or part time, or save really hard over a long period to fund businesses. They aren’t all well heeled incomers either. Many I know who have started businesses have lived in Brixton for years - including myself.
I was specifically referring to the new influx and many do absolutely fit the description I posted. Don't forget, I get sent all the frothy press releases and some of them make my toes curl.

I hate the Lambeth council-backed entrepreneur's wet dream that Brixton has turned into as most of what comes in its wake does little to improve the lot of residents who can't afford the upmarket prices.

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here yet, but I went to Café Amado on Acre Lane yesterday for lunch. It's by the bus stop on the north side (i.e. opposite Sam's Café).

Very friendly chef/owner. I'm no expert on Mexican food but I thought it was good stuff - tasted fresh and home-cooked. I had the de todito box with pork carnitas which was a full plate for about a tenner.

Almost every 'independent' new business in Brixton seems to be backed by (a) Daddy's money, (b) rich ex-City folk looking to make a killing, (c) offshore fuckers, (d) investment funds and (e) well connected slippery entrepreneurs.
What would the acceptable means of finance be to set up an independent new business in Brixton?

What would the acceptable means of finance be to set up an independent new business in Brixton?
If you're happy with how things have changed, that's fine, but I personally preferred Brixton when it wasn't overrun with venture capital-backed start-ups, City investors, offshore-based companies and Blairite entrepreneurs. They've had very little positive impact on the Brixton I love, but you may well disagree.

If you're happy with how things have changed, that's fine, but I personally preferred Brixton when it wasn't overrun with venture capital-backed start-ups, City investors, offshore-based companies and Blairite entrepreneurs. They've had very little positive impact on the Brixton I love, but you may well disagree.
You didn’t answer the question. Genuinely interested.

You didn’t answer the question. Genuinely interested.
Because of the recent mass influx of the aforementioned well heeled investors and handsomely backed entrepreneurs, there's clearly no chance for new local businesses without that kind of muscle and on-trend connections to get a foothold.

Pop Brixton pretended to be about helping those sort of community-spawned start-ups but real opportunities proved to be few and far between unless your face fitted. The 'meanwhile' space by Loughborough Junction is good though as that affords real opportunities to locals trying out businesses, rather than the likes of the NZ wine importers, guardian angel property scum and hip, social-media pumped-up food outlets that occupy Pop.

Because of the recent mass influx of the aforementioned well heeled investors and handsomely backed entrepreneurs, there's clearly no chance for new local businesses without that kind of muscle and on-trend connections to get a foothold.

Pop Brixton pretended to be about helping those sort of community-spawned start-ups but real opportunities proved to be few and far between unless your face fitted. The 'meanwhile' space by Loughborough Junction is good though as that affords real opportunities to locals trying out businesses, rather than the likes of the NZ wine importers, guardian angel property scum and hip, social-media pumped-up food outlets that occupy Pop.
What would the acceptable means of finance be to set up an independent new business in Brixton? Genuinely interested.

What would the acceptable means of finance be to set up an independent new business in Brixton? Genuinely interested.
I'm really not interested in discussing this with you. I've made my point of view perfectly clear. And you're only ever 'genuinely interested' in pursuing your disruptive, personal beef and it's as boring as fuck.

ok I'll bite, using Calcutta Street as an example £75K to take over the lease, £65K rent p.a. 3 months minimum up front = £16250, redecorating, publicity (not including sphincter tightening crap sent to Editor) so you need at least £100K before the first customer comes through the door, editor is right there is zero opportunity for someone without family/connections to get access to that sort of money plus the chances of running at a profit from day one are very low so you need a back-up fund, staff, food and utilities all cost. Back of a fag packet calculations by my reckoning you need to turn over at least £250K p.a. to break even. Compare this to the early/mid nineties when it was possible to set up for less than £5k (I know as I did it for £3K) still a lot of money at the time but with a bit of creativity it was possible, not these days.

Do you know that none of the businesses at pop are run by locals ?

Alex

ok I'll bite, using Calcutta Street as an example £75K to take over the lease, £65K rent p.a. 3 months minimum up front = £16250, redecorating, publicity (not including sphincter tightening crap sent to Editor) so you need at least £100K before the first customer comes through the door, editor is right there is zero opportunity for someone without family/connections to get access to that sort of money plus the chances of running at a profit from day one are very low so you need a back-up fund, staff, food and utilities all cost. Back of a fag packet calculations by my reckoning you need to turn over at least £250K p.a. to break even. Compare this to the early/mid nineties when it was possible to set up for less than £5k (I know as I did it for £3K) still a lot of money at the time but with a bit of creativity it was possible, not these days.
You've not answered the question either!

Have I ever made such a claim? No I haven't, so quit inventing arguments.

“Pop Brixton pretended to be about helping those sort of community-spawned start-ups ”

Is what you said - ie it isn’t helping community spawned start ups.

Alex

“Pop Brixton pretended to be about helping those sort of community-spawned start-ups ”

Is what you said - ie it isn’t helping community spawned start ups.

Alex
Oh FFS: and the rest of that quote that you've dishonestly left out added, "...but real opportunities proved to be few and far between...".

This is so fucking tiresome.

You've not answered the question either!
there is none, it is a question with no answer, my answer was trying to show the impossibility of the majority of locals having the possibility of starting up in Brixton due to the very large, to me, amounts of money involved. It is a system that is heavily stacked ('twas always thus, but as Thomas Pickerty pointed out, it has got increasingly biased to those who have the money and land)

That’s a pretty big venue for a start up business though. The idea of pop originally should have given start ups an opportunity to start small without a huge outlay of cash

That’s a pretty big venue for a start up business though. The idea of pop originally should have given start ups an opportunity to start small without a huge outlay of cash
true, I was using that as an example due to being able to find the cost of taking over the lease/rent etc. and was thinking about setting up cafes/restaurants in general in Brixton not about the pros and cons of Pop. It also enabled me to do a comparison with my experience in the mid 90's where I had 48 covers and time to make mistakes, which in my humble opinion is not possible now.

Locally funded business.

Do a lot of locals have a couple of hundred grand to put into something pretty high risk?

( apparently 50% of London based startups fail in the first three years, so that’s a 50% chance of losing ALL of your stake.)

Alex

Last edited:
Do a lot of locals have a couple of hundred grand to put into something pretty high risk?

Alex

Given the way people talk about the "monied incomers" who abound in Brixton, you'd expect no end of locals who'd consider that pocket money. I know I do.

( apparently 50% of London based startups fail in the first three years, so that’s a 50% chance of losing ALL of your stake.)

Alex
Probably not because, as I said earlier, Brixton has completely changed thanks to gentrification, so the only people who can now afford the pumped-up rates are generally (a) those backed by Daddy's money, (b) rich ex-City folk looking to for a 'lifestyle change', (c) offshore fuckers, (d) investment funds and (e) well connected slippery entrepreneurs.

Lambeth has made it clear that they have little interest in supporting real grassroots community initiatives - it's mainly socially-media lauded, PR-backed, on-trend entrepreneurs who speak the language they like to hear.

Back
Top Bottom